1250GS vs S1000XR

Point is is that all these horsepower numbers mean horse$hit imho when it comes to designing a bike that is both fast and comfortable over long distance. TORQUE, supple but controlled suspension, and comfortable ergos are critical to fulfilling that remit. And on all 3 counts, the GS knocks out the XR.

And that is my issue with the XR. It is touted as BMW’s sports adventure bike and it simply manages to be something that no one really asked for, except for being a competitor to the Multistrada/KTM 1290 for BMW’s marketing department. Pub bragging rights the XR has but it does not translate into real-world usable capabilities imho. As it is, the GS may lose out in Top Trumps but remains the best seller - and for good reason too.

The XR certainly does have real world capabilities and was the perfect bike for me coming from sports bikes
I have toured Europe extensively on 2 of them
But where are you going to use the power of the XR in the top of the rev range for anything other than a brief splurt?

I loved both of my XR's but I now love the GS a little bit more

Well said HGS...:thumb2
You confirmed for me that I made the right decision buying the 1250GS...:D
All the GS is missing are the top-end bursts from 8000-11000 rpm that are so much fun on the XR...Or the ones on the S1000RR from 11000-14000 rpm that are even more violent & fun...;)

It is all depends on where one has come from.......

If you have come from a Suzuki DL1000, say, then a 1250GS is going to be like a dream come true.

If you have come from a 4-cylinder Sports Bike, like a GSXR or ZZR1400, and your wrists hurt, then maybe the XR will be the better bike to start with as the Boxer engine/gearbox combo will feel too agricultural and slow.

Clever BMW for catering to both these tastes. KTM seem to have offer brutal power and a more challenging driving character in order to tempt the 4-cylinder boys - and have been successful to their credit.

The XR certainly does have real world capabilities and was the perfect bike for me coming from sports bikes
I have toured Europe extensively on 2 of them
But where are you going to use the power of the XR in the top of the rev range for anything other than a brief splurt?

I loved both of my XR's but I now love the GS a little bit more

Lots of good points in this thread about the difference in old and new XRs and the R1250GS, but let’s be realistic and be honest with ourselves here, who the hell can use or actually need the top end of any of these bikes on the road?

I have ridden the R1250GS and a very nice bike it is too, but I want the XR, the “old” version because I can’t afford/won’t pay for a brand new one and I will probably be buying one soon content in the knowledge that I will never experience the full fat 160 or so bhp on either the roads of U.K. or Europe. Each to his own but let’s stop the bollocks about being able to feel the difference an extra 5bhp makes on a 160bhp motorcycle that for mere mortals like us would be virtually unrideable. :beerjug:

Lots of good points in this thread about the difference in old and new XRs and the R1250GS, but let’s be realistic and be honest with ourselves here, who the hell can use or actually need the top end of any of these bikes on the road?

I have ridden the R1250GS and a very nice bike it is too, but I want the XR, the “old” version because I can’t afford/won’t pay for a brand new one and I will probably be buying one soon content in the knowledge that I will never experience the full fat 160 or so bhp on either the roads of U.K. or Europe. Each to his own but let’s stop the bollocks about being able to feel the difference an extra 5bhp makes on a 160bhp motorcycle that for mere mortals like us would be virtually unrideable. :beerjug:

I was thinking about this the other day

The Unrideables - 500cc 2 stroke GP bikes were only kicking out about 130 BHP and were considered unrideable by anyone who wasn't prepared to die. I know they were very different etc but it sort of puts it into perspective a bit.

I sold my XR after a particularly hooliganism run up the bronze goat road in the Picos. following a local lad on a triumph tiger

Local knowledge and bravery meant I couldn't get past him until the very last straight and in 20 odd miles I didn't get out of 2nd gear which is way over a tomn at the top of the revs where the bike needs to be to be at its best

BHP will never overcome Bravery and local knowledge

Ive said both of these things many times, I loved the XR and still think its the best bike BMW make but when you went out and gave it your all it would always sort of wink at you and say is that the best you can do

Stick does - I’ve read it here 139mph in Spain, also Boxerlust wants 150mph fully panniered stability in Mexico - I’ve also read than here;)
You’re posting in an immortal thread where oft is mentioned a legendary 17in wheeled 150hp M1300gs. Say it three times and like beetlejuice it will appear (or maybe not).
Alan R

You’re posting in an immortal thread where oft is mentioned a legendary 17in wheeled 150hp M1300gs. Say it three times and like beetlejuice it will appear (or maybe not).
Alan R

And won't you look like a right twat of a troll if it does.:aidan

I was thinking about this the other day

The Unrideables - 500cc 2 stroke GP bikes were only kicking out about 130 BHP and were considered unrideable by anyone who wasn't prepared to die. I know they were very different etc but it sort of puts it into perspective a bit.

IINM, the NSR500 put out at least 185ps and weighed about 130kg IIRC. That’s a fairly lairy power to weight ratio, and considering most of that power happened in a small rev range, with no TC or any of the electronics modern superbikes benefit from, and I think the ‘Unrideables’ are significantly less user-friendly than you suggest.

IINM, the NSR500 put out at least 185ps and weighed about 130kg IIRC. That’s a fairly lairy power to weight ratio, and considering most of that power happened in a small rev range, with no TC or any of the electronics modern superbikes benefit from, and I think the ‘Unrideables’ are significantly less user-friendly than you suggest.

The 185BHP Hondas were very late on in the unrideable era and just in case you missed it ill say it again they were very different but it puts it into perspective. Lets take Ducatis latest offerings the street fighter with over 200BHP and 170KG or whatever the superlegeria with about 230 BHP and even less weight both manageable bikes to anyone other than complete novice

We have these 160BHP bikes that are classed as Adventure tourers etc rather than full out and out race tuned monsters of those days and we manage fine with all the electrickery and sit on a forum playing biggest dick with BHP etc etc

The 185BHP Hondas were very late on in the unrideable era and just in case you missed it ill say it again they were very different but it puts it into perspective. Lets take Ducatis latest offerings the street fighter with over 200BHP and 170KG or whatever the superlegeria with about 230 BHP and even less weight both manageable bikes to anyone other than complete novice

We have these 160BHP bikes that are classed as Adventure tourers etc rather than full out and out race tuned monsters of those days and we manage fine with all the electrickery and sit on a forum playing biggest dick with BHP etc etc

With all the electronics that modern bikes have - effectively retarding fueling or throttle - I wonder how much of the 200+ hp actually gets deployed.

In a minute you're going to tell me that Agostini won a 500cc World Championship on a 80 BHP MV Agusta.

I am fairly sure that this is exactly my point

As is mine too: and why if for touring: going the distance (and at pace) - torque, ergo comfort, suspension matter more than maxHP. Ergo, the XR is outshone by the GS. Crikey this is getting a boring topic.

In a minute you're going to tell me that Agostini won a 500cc World Championship on a 80 BHP MV Agusta.

Ermmm.... I do believe he did ;) Mind you, if any of you starts to try and tell me that some people lapped the Isle of Man TT circuit at over 100mph on bikes producing barely 50bhp riding on crappy tyres with drum brakes and suspension with about 1.5” travel and shitty, pot-holed, bumpy road surfaces I’m going to wonder what you are smoking these days :hippy

Top-end hp is fun because it is a great feel to sling-shot yourself in 3rd or 4th gear...And yes the S1000XR old or new is the only superbike you actually can ride on the road while toodays superbikes make only sense for trackdays...And 171 old or 179hp new are totally rideable and don't feel that outrageously fast...They are fast but not scary fast as even the new and liitle lighter 200hp Ducati V-4 Streetfighter is not faster than a XR due to wheel-base and physics...Power cuts out to prevent wheelies...THere fore somewhere between 160 and 200 hp is enough and fun for days to come without getting boring or wishing for more...I remember when I rode the then new and outrageously powerful S1000RR for the first time...That exitement is still the same...But I also remember how EU-4 regs took the fat mid-range away on 2017-18 bikes and it needed shift-cam to let EU-5 kill all the fun...The new EU-5 1290KTM SD despite being stronger on paper went from Tiger to Cheshire cat...The end of the EU can't come early enough !

Had the XR for 3 years. Just bought the GS1250

Test rode the 2020 XR, even better bike now, amazing. But today I rode the GS1250 with my fastest riding mate. I kept up with him more easily. Why? Because I wasn’t screaming up to the top end of the Rev range then having to brake in bends or coming up to junctions etc just as the XR was taking off. For real every day fast riding the GS is, to me, a more appropriate bike. XR, track, yes. I also realised that the XR felt like it was going faster than it actually was because of all the drama that goes with it whereas I didn’t feel like I was going fast on the GS until I looked down at the clock or realised that I was keeping up with my riding mate with much less input and effort on my part. Consequently today I bought the GS. Wondered if on my trip home on the XR I’d regret it. Absolutely not, in fact the bike that I loved now irritated me. So that’s my honest experience.

The new EU-5 1290KTM SD despite being stronger on paper went from Tiger to Cheshire cat...The end of the EU can't come early enough !

EU or no EU not going to make a lot of difference World harmony on regulations is happening , Japan is similar, California is clamping down and no doubt when Trump disappears the USA will tighten up again in the rest of the States.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Test rode the 2020 XR, even better bike now, amazing. But today I rode the GS1250 with my fastest riding mate. I kept up with him more easily. Why? Because I wasn’t screaming up to the top end of the Rev range then having to brake in bends or coming up to junctions etc just as the XR was taking off. For real every day fast riding the GS is, to me, a more appropriate bike. XR, track, yes. I also realised that the XR felt like it was going faster than it actually was because of all the drama that goes with it whereas I didn’t feel like I was going fast on the GS until I looked down at the clock or realised that I was keeping up with my riding mate with much less input and effort on my part. Consequently today I bought the GS. Wondered if on my trip home on the XR I’d regret it. Absolutely not, in fact the bike that I loved now irritated me. So that’s my honest experience.

Congrats. Great decision and finally good to hear someone speaking real world truth! And may I say: for track, the S1000RR or S1000R is far better than the XR ever will be. Basic physics. So in summary, the XR is inferior on both the road and track - compared to the GS or other S1000 derivatives respectively :)

Back
Top Bottom