1250GS vs S1000XR

@ Steve Harley ; Enjoy your new GS as I for sure still like my 1250GS a lot ! With 30 hp more on top it would be perfect...:thumb
@ GeorgeM ; Trump will get another 4 years and by then the EU will be long gone courtesy of Brexit and hopefullt regulations go back to a level of 2016 with EU-3 when bikes where clean and had good mid-range power and still sounded like motorcycles !
Just think about the latest victims of EU-5 like the new CBR1000RR Fireblade that has less mid-range than a CBR600RR or the new KTM 1290 Superduke that need 2 seconds more in roll-on 60-180 km/h...:eek:
I suspect 1200 will be the new 1000 when it comes to 4 cylinders and twins from BMW and KTM (not Ducati because Ducati goes V4) will go to the 1300-1400 cc range because why would anyone buy a new bike when the old one was just as fast or faster and sounded better ?

It’s all personal to be fair.

Chopped in a 1200 Rallye for an XR a year ago and covered 200 miles.

Collect a 1250 Rallye next week.

Just didn’t enjoy the XR at all.

My 1250 is now fully modified & farkled and it’s just brilliant. I love it and will be keeping it.

...or you could do as I did...sell my XR and my GS and replace them with a 2019 1290 Super Duke GT...

You want GRUNT for effortless overtaking?

Walk this way, sir...

:D

...or you could do as I did...sell my XR and my GS and replace them with a 2019 1290 Super Duke GT...

Walk this way, sir...

Great grunt agree , but it will and does tie itself in knots on a spirted back road blast . Again tho great , great motor but.....imho .
Been riding one ( 2017 plate) over the last couple of weeks ( mate has one so we swap) and i love it but getting my GS back is hard , he dont wanna give it back ...

Walk this way, sir...

Had a KTM SMT when WP suspension was good, before KTM bean counters spoilt it. My local dealer gave KTM up as they were too much hassle to deal with. The KTM might have grunt for overtaking in a straight line, but that doesn’t take any skill and my 1250 is far better in the bends as the telelever doesn’t overload the front end. Had a Multi 1200 as well, but couldn’t keep that out of the workshop.

SDGT is good for a play, but my mate took one to Switzerland and couldn’t sell it quick enough when he got back. No good for distance, which is where the GS excels, and I have done the Alps, Pyrenees and Picos on my GS’s.

@ GeorgeM ; Trump will get another 4 years and by then the EU will be long gone courtesy of Brexit and hopefullt regulations go back to a level of 2016 with EU-3 when bikes where clean and had good mid-range power and still sounded like motorcycles !

Well I certainly hope the Trump era will pass sooner than later, but if you or anyone else thinks that Brexit will be the end of EU regs, then you are sadly deluding yourself. The cleaner air/pollution reduction regulations are here to stay and will only get more stringent year by year.

Sorry to burst your bubble but GRUNT the 1250GS has more than the 1290 Superduke GT or not...roll-on 60 - 180 in top gear the GS is 0,5 seconds faster ! The new EU-5 1290 Superduke need 2,5 seconds more than the 1250GS...:eek:
EU-5 killed the middle where you ride 90% of the time despite being faster on paper as in advertised hp numbers...If you shift and go through the gears the 1290 is 4 seconds faster 0-200 km/h though...Nothing a 170hp / 155 nm 1400 cc boxer could not solve...due out in 2023 for their 100ths anniversary I hope...:thumby:
By then WSBK will have gone to 1200cc and we see a S1200RR with 240hp and 140nm and as also a S1200XR with 200 hp that is finally faster than the origional 2015/16 EU-3 XR...we'll see !
BMW - the only brand that matters...;)

Sorry to burst your bubble but GRUNT the 1250GS has more than the 1290 Superduke GT or not...roll-on 60 - 180 in top gear the GS is 0,5 seconds faster ! The new EU-5 1290 Superduke need 2,5 seconds more than the 1250GS...:eek:
EU-5 killed the middle where you ride 90% of the time despite being faster on paper as in advertised hp numbers...If you shift and go through the gears the 1290 is 4 seconds faster 0-200 km/h though...Nothing a 170hp / 155 nm 1400 cc boxer could not solve...due out in 2023 for their 100ths anniversary I hope...:thumby:
By then WSBK will have gone to 1200cc and we see a S1200RR with 240hp and 140nm and as also a S1200XR with 200 hp that is finally faster than the origional 2015/16 EU-3 XR...we'll see !
BMW - the only brand that matters...;)

When you say 60-180 I assume you are in KMH ??

I know that in the real world the 1290GT is a faster bike than the GS as is the XR..

I was in the Picos last year on my SDGT and one of the lads on his 1250 GS and he couldn't live with it despite actually being a better rider than me

On a point A to point b B road noon the 1290 and the XR will be faster than the GS

As an ex SDGT owner and a current 1250 owner, the SDGT is way over geared as standard, I changed the gearing and it would beat the 1250 in the mid range, never mind murder it on top end

As an ex SDGT owner and a current 1250 owner, the SDGT is way over geared as standard, I changed the gearing and it would beat the 1250 in the mid range, never mind murder it on top end

I never thought about the Gearing but you are correct

Top gear could only really be used once the national speed limit had been exceeded

When you say 60-180 I assume you are in KMH ??

I know that in the real world the 1290GT is a faster bike than the GS as is the XR..

I was in the Picos last year on my SDGT and one of the lads on his 1250 GS and he couldn't live with it despite actually being a better rider than me

On a point A to point b B road noon the 1290 and the XR will be faster than the GS

Cant agree with that sorry ,B roads are where the GS excells and on the mountain passes . The XR and the SDR are better on the big fast roads but not on the back roads , had a few rides with both on the said roads and yet to be shown otherwise.
Only ever had a short ride / rides on the XR and found it horrible , the SDR , great engine but handling is questionable along with comfort and the front end is twitchy ( been riding one over the last weeks ) like it but not a capable as the GS , faster top end yes but whats the real skill in that compared to back road surefooteness and torque , the GS can hold its speed all day long , in all situations.

I'm 100% with Stick on this one...All the GS needs is another 20-30 hp on top for a top end that kicks all the way to 10000rpm and it would be perfect motorcycle engine...But for that it probably needs a center bearing for the crank in order to last...As for roll-on the 1250GS is faster than the 1290...THe EU-5 1290's while faster on paper with higher hp numbers are real dogs...60-180 km/h the 1250 GS is 2,5 seconds faster than the 2020 SuperDuke...That is huge !

I'm 100% with Stick on this one...All the GS needs is another 20-30 hp on top for a top end that kicks all the way to 10000rpm and it would be perfect motorcycle engine...But for that it probably needs a center bearing for the crank in order to last...As for roll-on the 1250GS is faster than the 1290...THe EU-5 1290's while faster on paper with higher hp numbers are real dogs...60-180 km/h the 1250 GS is 2,5 seconds faster than the 2020 SuperDuke...That is huge !

It needs 17” wheels.

Got them on mine. 190 back tyre running M9 Metzelers. Brilliant.

Attachments

• 111A21EB-D29B-4904-96BA-9D032D4505FA.jpg
    111A21EB-D29B-4904-96BA-9D032D4505FA.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 304
The big screen is practical and I agree it’s not aesthetic, but it works really well for keeping wind blast off. Blame Nutty for the slimmed down back end as he suggested removing the rack and grab rails. Looks better in the flesh. Fortunately it’s only a quick job to refit them when wanting to use the top box.

However the handling with telelever and TTX Ohlins, sports bike size wheels/best sports tyre of the moment, and the grin factor with full decat exhaust and remap is worth more to me than looks. Bought it for comfort over distance, having fun and embarrassing those on sports bikes who can’t ride, not to look at.

Back
Top Bottom