1250GS vs S1000XR

Boxerlust

Reaction score
I had a chance to ride a almost new last generation 2019 S1000XR and while the impressions are fresh put it into perspective against my 1250GS with ADV "sports" suspension that has slightly stiffer springs,20 mm taller and 5 mm less trail as also the recently ridden all new 2020 S1000XR.
First the older XR still makes these wonderful noises with exhaust backfiring/popping off throttle and the loud and aggressive induction noise that is missing on the GS or EU-5 XR.Mid-range feels a little stronger than on the new one thanks to EU-5 regs and taller gears 4,5,6 that drop rpms roughly 400 at the same speeds.But the new one has 10 hp more on top from 10000-11500 rpm which you can surely feel when the front gets light.Anyways the XR accelerates harder than the GS if you fully open the throttle and let her rip all the way to the redline in 3rd and 4th gear it will be by,by GS...But it does not feel as ballistic anymore as it did in 2015 because the 1250GS with it's strong and creamy TORQUE feels everything but slow and gives a very strong powerband between 4000 and 800orpm just missing the kick on top...I guess you get used to everything but the main advantage of the XR is it's top-end which is everything but new...;)
The quick-shifter also works faultless on the XR with it's lighter internals and chaindrive while it is hit or miss on the GS.
Also the brakes feel stronger on the XR but I don't know if it is because of different pads,320mm vs 305 mm rotors,the 17 inch front-wheel or just less weight.
THere is less vibration in the footpegs of the GS which will make a difference on longer trips.
What I hate on the older XR is the un-adjustable clutch lever.
Otherwise the old bike feels as great as the new one for reasons as engine sound and mid-range.It is maybe a little more stable while the new one a little quicker steering but the differences are very small.What I like better on the new one is the lower and narrower handlebar that make it feel more sporty without compromising comfort.LED light of course beat bulbs that can burn out as also the new dash gives more and easier to read information.
As for handling I think my GS with sports suspension and cast wheels in stock sizes (19/17) is as quick steering as both XR's while they have better high speed stability and are 20 mph faster... 160 vs 140mph as in acceleration 0-125 mph 8,5 vs 12,5 sec where the 1200GS needed 14,5 secs according to MOTORRAD.
As far as handling especially on bumpy roads the softer sprung Telelever that resists dive while not stiffening up and maintaining at least 75% of spring travel beats any fork...:thumby: That and the clean shaft while the strong and smooth mid-range Torque make me take the GS over the XR that only gives you that stronger top-end !
While the ESA forks on the XR's do a better job than regular forks by offering 150 mm vs 125 mm spring travel and not bottoming out hard on the brakes they still stiffen up which at least makes them less comfortable than TL.TL does not dive and is much more compliant over bumps and much more comfortable.Here the new ESA valves on the 2020XR work much better than the older ones because they are more compliant as in motorcycle specific valves build for motorcycles which tend to be lighter than cars and thus work more sensitive and faster than the ones on the older XR.
For me like I said the GS is the better bike and just missing the hard acceleration on top which actually could feel harder...:D I guess I rode the S1000RR too much over the last years...
But the 1250 does not feel that much slower anymore compared to the XR like the old 1200 did.
To sum it all up I guess we still can't have it all unless the M1300GS will have 17 inch wheels and 150-170hp while maintaining strong TORQUE and keeping the Telelever...:thumby:
Time will tell !
But if you don't mind chain or fork, don't mind shifting and milking the power or a few vibes the XR old and new are already pretty much there...As superbikes that can be ridden every day...:thumb2
For me the 1250GS is pretty close in the fun department but offers even a little more...:thumby:

Anyone trading up or down from a 1250 to a XR or XR to a 1250 and want to chime in ?
They are Both great bikes but chain,fork and harder acceleration or TL,shaft and smoother,stronger midrange ?!?!
I guess I'm getting old...or the new S1000XR should have had the full on RR shiftcam engine or just 1200cc...;)
Have fun as the scam-demic has done enough economic damage to finally reach it's end...at least we will always know and remember what we have done in 2020...NOTHING...just drank beer and dreamed about riding in mexico or wherever your favorite destination was...:beerjug:

My1250 GSA is due it’s service soon and I will take a new XR out then. I had a 2017 model before the 1250 so will be interesting.

The 1250 is better two up, but not the same fun one up. But I am still amazed how good the 1250 suspension is, and how easy it is to go quick on it.

Belco it will interesting to hear what you have to say after the test-ride especially since you own the 1250 and owned a 2017 XR...I also had a 1250ADV but now have the same bike (1250-HP) with a smaller tank but 45 lbs lighter as also changed out the wheels for cast ones which are roughly 2,5 lbs lighter...love the bike except the XR goes harder on top !
As also forgot to mention the only real flaw of the GS is the exhaust system...Routed under the seat the right bag would be 10 liters bigger ! Easy to fix when a all new GS comes...

To sum it all up I guess we still can't have it all unless the M1300GS will have 17 inch wheels and 150-170hp while maintaining strong TORQUE and keeping the Telelever...:thumby:
Edited it down to reveal your recurring wet dream. :blagblah:blagblah
Alan R

After a 2016 and a 2018 XR, since March 2016 until last month, covering 26000 miles I loved every minute with them both. Came from a Fireblade to the XR but didn't miss the Fireblade
Yes, the XR can be vibey but once you on the open roads and not at a constant speed, It really isn't that noticeable. Had the Evotech handguard weights fitted
Done 10 day tours of Spain fully loaded and in good and very bad weather
North Wales to Le Mans weekend in one hit there and one back, comfy
Shamed a few sportsbikes on it, it always made me smile
Apart from a replacement waterpump and a dead battery, they were both trouble free

Last month bought a new 1250 GS. I did over a thousand miles in under 3 weeks and once the first service was done I am not wanting for top speed on our roads. There are very few places where you would be riding at 3 figures for any length of time
Much more comfortable than the XR - The XR isn't uncomfortable
Lovely clutch on the GS
What this GS does with style is burst out of the bends and take off for overtakes without revving and dropping gears. I have fallen in love with the torque
I know I am limited for tyres but Michelin do the R5 trail and after 2 pairs of Michelin RS's on the XR, I would certainly take a look at those. The Bridgestone A41's are performing really well. Both front and rear are to the edge and they were very good the other day in the rain. Not intending to do any off-roading unless by accident
I'm not missing the XR
Haven't had a go of the new XR but did sit on one at the dealers and did not like the seat. Edges cut into the back of my thighs. Otherwise I liked the look of the new XR

HGS,since you had both 2016 EU-3 and 2018 EU-4 S1000XR's what was your impression on the engines...I'm mean did they feel different because the 15,16 EU-3 S1000RR's felt much stronger in the mid-range than the 17,18 EU-4 S1000RR's...Otherwise I'm completely with you about the 1250GS ! Except for the tires...My favorites are Conti TA3 and RA3 as also I like the Pirelli ST2 just as much...I think these 3 are all great tires for the GS if you do 100% tarmac.On the XR I probably would run the new Metzeler M9RR's...

No difference felt in either XR even with the extra few HP
Both pulled like a manic train
Oh...the quickshifter on the XR was superb, the GS it's a bit more involved :D
Once you get over 6K revs it was all a bit star trek like, everything blurs a bit
Had the rubbers retro fitted by BMW to the 2016 bike, but had really minimised the vibes with the evotech stuff, 2018 bike felt no more vibey
Those Michelin RS tyres on the XR were outstanding in the dry and nearly as good in the wet even they look like they shouldn't be.
Mate of mine has just had a set M9RR's fitted to his 2016 1299 Panigale and says they are really good after the supercorsa's type ones
I don't get on with Pirellis, just a mind thing from experiences with the Diabalo's
If these Bridgestones continue as they are then they may be the replacements

Revtastic XR is an S1000R on stilts. Cramped seat wedges yer nads so uncomfortable for long distance. S1000 engine suited for sportsbikes and high revs, so never relaxed for long distance and lacks midrange compared to 1250. Regular front end suspenders doesn’t iron out the imperfect roads when exploring or just riding in the UK. Stilts compromised for sports riding: S1000R or RR handles better. Luggage options limited. The XR is too compromised imho. It does nothing particularly well, especially for the remit of ‘touring’.

Revtastic XR is an S1000R on stilts. Cramped seat wedges yer nads so uncomfortable for long distance. S1000 engine suited for sportsbikes and high revs, so never relaxed for long distance and lacks midrange compared to 1250. Regular front end suspenders doesn’t iron out the imperfect roads when exploring or just riding in the UK. Stilts compromised for sports riding: S1000R or RR handles better. Luggage options limited. The XR is too compromised imho. It does nothing particularly well, especially for the remit of ‘touring’.

Having owned both the XR and the GS you are wrong on almost all counts

Very comfortable riding position in fact the most comfortable straight out of the box bike i have ever owned

Will cruise all day long at 70 - 80 mph without breaking a sweat and when you get to your destination ( say the Alps) it will adopt its other persona and give you more smiles and thrills than a GS

Top gear roll on from 40MPH the XR walks away from a GS ( ive tested this) so to say it has no mid range is frankly ludicrous I think you will also find that it was holding its own with an R! on a track day in the hands of Von Grumble

For a tall bike the suspension of the Sport SE is fantastic and a very very fine handling bike although i will accept not as sharp as a S1000RR but then it isnt designed to compete with one of those

Luggage - you can put on it what you want from top box and panniers to Soft bags or Ventura and you are only limited by your imagination

I still maintain it is the best bike that BMW make

My main reason was the GSA is better (bigger) for two up riding and touring, but I have to admit the XR was more comfortable for me - the GSA seat hurts my delicate backside. One of my friends also had the same problem and has just gone from a GSA1200 to a 2017 XR.

Hi, My tuppence worth - I swapped a 2016 XR for a new 1250 last year.

In my opinion both bikes are excellent, one is no better than the other, it really depends on what you're looking for in a ride.

If it's out right speed you're looking for then the XR all day long - this bike has serious pace. (160 plus horse power can become addictive).:okay. I didn't do any touring on the XR but I reckon I'd be ok in the saddle all day - certainly it was never uncomfortable!

Downside of the XR (if you can call it one) was that it can be a bit vibey - I had the evotech bar ends and the rubber bar mounts fitted but still found it a little vibey at times through the seat and pegs at very high rpm's. That said, you are talking about a 160 hp race engine shoe horned into a tight frame - what do you expect!

I really like my new GS though - it seems to have all the right things in all the right places all of the time - enough power, enough handling ability etc etc.. Right now, for the way I ride and the journeys I intend to make - the GS stays.

David

One more thing - you don't know how good a quick shifter should work until ridden an XR (or any 4 pot sports bike) - silky smooth all the time!

I had a 2014 S1000R Sport, which I took to France with a mate on a 2015 S1000XR a couple of years ago.

My S1000R made my hands go numb with the vibration through the bars even though I had 'anti vibration' clamps, neoprene grip covers and heavier bar ends.

I also had vibration through the seat and the footpegs too?

I swapped to the S1000XR for a few hundred miles and it was worse than mine so consequently I bought my 2016 GS Adventure when I had intended to buy an S1000XR.

My mate with the S1000 XR wasn't bothered by the vibrations at all though.....

My 2016 GS Adventure does have some minor vibes - being a Boxer twin - but nothing goes numb, even when on a trip to France last year.

Having owned both the XR and the GS you are wrong on almost all counts

Very comfortable riding position in fact the most comfortable straight out of the box bike i have ever owned

Will cruise all day long at 70 - 80 mph without breaking a sweat and when you get to your destination ( say the Alps) it will adopt its other persona and give you more smiles and thrills than a GS

Top gear roll on from 40MPH the XR walks away from a GS ( ive tested this) so to say it has no mid range is frankly ludicrous I think you will also find that it was holding its own with an R! on a track day in the hands of Von Grumble

For a tall bike the suspension of the Sport SE is fantastic and a very very fine handling bike although i will accept not as sharp as a S1000RR but then it isnt designed to compete with one of those

Luggage - you can put on it what you want from top box and panniers to Soft bags or Ventura and you are only limited by your imagination

I still maintain it is the best bike that BMW make

If we all had the same opinions, this place would be very boring. Glad you like the XR. For touring, the GS/A is better in all areas that matter. Luggage, ride, comfort, ability to go fast without needing to wang the engine, and range of farkles.

Sure the XR has more HP so can go faster when needed, but that isn’t the point. Over 200miles point to point, I know which bike I would be more comfortable and just as fast on. Happy to disagree with you. And I am no more ‘wrong’ as you are.

If we all had the same opinions, this place would be very boring. Glad you like the XR. For touring, the GS/A is better in all areas that matter. Luggage, ride, comfort, ability to go fast without needing to wang the engine, and range of farkles.

Sure the XR has more HP so can go faster when needed, but that isn’t the point. Over 200miles point to point, I know which bike I would be more comfortable and just as fast on. Happy to disagree with you. And I am no more ‘wrong’ as you are.

.....:thumby::thumby:

Thanks for all the interesting feedback especially the one that the EU-3 vs the EU-4 XRs felt the same in the power department.I think as far as touring goes the XR can be almost as good as the GS (except for the chain of course) as the vibration for me is only felt in the pegs that can turn into blisters on your feed if you ride for 2-3 weeks straight during summer vacation...I had some nasty blisters on back in the days on my R1100S from vibration in the pegs.On my GS I put the BMW HP pegs on that sit 1/2 inch higher and have spring loaded rubber pads.The only problem I see touring the XR is that it is no fun and while the GS feels powerful going slow ready at any rpm because of all the torque ready to lunge forward at the twist of the wrist the XR is always in headbanger mode and wants to be revved that you hear the wonderful aggressive noises it makes especially from the airbox and catapults your forward like you are shot from a cannon.This is the only thing missing on the GS...I.M.H.O. And also decision what you rather have choosing between a 1250GS or 1000XR...While between the XR's the new one steers even a little lighter and has a slightly better seating position and 10 hp more on top (butt dyno) while the old one felt angrier (sound) and had a little more mid-range due to EU-5 regs and taller 3 upper gears...It is 25 lbs lighter,too.With a ECU flash and a full Akra system I would think the new one would be better than the older version but this only shows how good the 2015-19 XR already was and how hard it is to improve on the existing hardware ! I wonder what you guys on XR's think about the new one compar to the ones you have...But I think I keep my 1250GS until M1300GS arrives and be happy for good...;)
Unless a R1300S sees the light of day...:D

Looks like around 5hp up and slightly less in the middle:

2.png

Looks like around 5hp up and slightly less in the middle:

2.png

Cynical marketing ploy by BMW. You read the headline of “ooo an extra 5hp” and you think it is an extra 5hp everywhere. I wonder how many people regularly ride their bike within the last 1000rpm of the redline, and if so - how long do they spend in that rev range - on the road, not track?

That is less a cynical maketing plot by BMW but EU-5 for you...Less mid-range,try the new 1290 KTM that lost a lot even if they advertise more power...Like I said the new XR has 10 hp more on top but felt a little weaker mid-range...going to 1200cc would solve all this...;) But even so it is still a fast bike especially for a sport-tourer but the S1000RR has more mid-range and another 33 hp on top thanks to shift-cam...

Back
Top Bottom