E10 petrol to replace E5 over next few years

BOBAD

Reaction score
Just a heads-up to be aware of plans to replace the current standard E5 fuel with the greener, more environmentally-friendly E10 fuel over the next few years.

E10 fuel could pose the most significant threat to older vehicles since Four-star was banned at the turn of the century.
Like then, the change is being brought about on environmental grounds.

E10 fuel is different from the E5 fuel currently sold in that it contains 10 percent bio-ethanol, produced from crops such as sugar beet. Bio-ethanol isn’t a fossil fuel and is renewable and consequently much greener.

The introduction comes as the UK strives for net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
The new fuel will help reduce CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year, the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off the road.

The changes won't be too noticeable for most motorcyclists but if your bike is older than 1996 and doesn’t have a catalytic converter, you'll probably need to use a lead replacement additive to help prevent corrosion.

If you put E10 in your bike, it's not like putting diesel in a petrol tank – you won't need to drain the tank, but it might take you a little longer to start it up next time.
The advice is to top up with E5 as soon you can – ideally when you’ve used at least a third of the tank.

Yes, it's a cut 'n' paste because I thought that it might be helpful info.

Now I can't find the original article so I am unable to answer the question regarding corrosion.

If replacing E5 with E10 on the forecourt is as serious as the loss of 4star was at the time, then people need to be aware of the potential problems to older bikes as many riders own bikes without cats and fore-warned is fore-armed.

Explain to me how they have been using E10 in Europe for twenty plus years then.
Don't get me wrong it's shite,. I'll only use super fuels in my bikes anyway. 97-99 octane. Theses are also E5. But I do find my vehicles run better on it.
The higher grade fuels will still be available. Don't panic.
My TL's hate the E10. Cough splutter cut out. Just avoid it.

I have only a rudimentary knowledge of these things, but how does a lead substitute prevent corrosion if you don't have a catalytic converter? And corrosion of what.

You didn't get this info from JetJock did you?

The only corrosion I can think the (crap) article is referring to is old rubber seals used in fuel delivery systems may not like ethanol. Clearly a Cat does not in itself cause an issue but our use of ethanol fuels started around the time Cats were introduced so 'no cat = rubber that doesn't like ethanol' 'cat = rubber that does like ethanol'.

You should try running a fibreglass tank with ethanol petrol. I have jerry cans of ethanol free fuel at home that I use to fill the Bultaco as I can't always guarantee to find it when out on the road (and the Bully has such a small tank range).

Anyway, there's nothing new in the OP so nothing to see here, gazza12adv has it spot on.

Andres

My 96 Harley loves super unleaded.....the difference over normal petrol is noticeable

Just a heads-up to be aware of plans to replace the current standard E5 fuel with the greener, more environmentally-friendly E10 fuel over the next few years.

E10 fuel could pose the most significant threat to older vehicles since Four-star was banned at the turn of the century.
Like then, the change is being brought about on environmental grounds.

E10 fuel is different from the E5 fuel currently sold in that it contains 10 percent bio-ethanol, produced from crops such as sugar beet. Bio-ethanol isn’t a fossil fuel and is renewable and consequently much greener.

The introduction comes as the UK strives for net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
The new fuel will help reduce CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year, the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off the road.

The changes won't be too noticeable for most motorcyclists but if your bike is older than 1996 and doesn’t have a catalytic converter, you'll probably need to use a lead replacement additive to help prevent corrosion.

If you put E10 in your bike, it's not like putting diesel in a petrol tank – you won't need to drain the tank, but it might take you a little longer to start it up next time.
The advice is to top up with E5 as soon you can – ideally when you’ve used at least a third of the tank.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. It is possible that there are some flaws in the article you quote, but we will be able to do some research and come to conclusions to suit ourselves.

I note an assertion from the RAC that as E10 is bought out, some forecourts will have only 2 grades..E5 and E10, E5 replacing what is now the premium grade which many of us routinely seek out.

'Drivers of older, incompatible cars may have to shell out for more expensive fuel, since forecourts will likely only offer E5 as a premium option.' and "Firstly, as the RAC Foundation points out, there could be as many as 600,000 vehicles on our roads that aren’t compatible with the fuel.'

May be that we will need to be more aware when we return to marauding around Europe.

Thanks anyway.

The ethanol does have adverse effects on some plastic petrol tanks, for example swelling. Ducati have suffered particularly in the USA, including the air cooled 1100 multistradas which made removal and replacement of the tank/seat unit very difficult to impossible.

Might be time for some folk to buy one of these www.ethanil.co.uk

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. It is possible that there are some flaws in the article you quote, but we will be able to do some research and come to conclusions to suit ourselves.

I note an assertion from the RAC that as E10 is bought out, some forecourts will have only 2 grades..E5 and E10, E5 replacing what is now the premium grade which many of us routinely seek out.

I think you need to do some of that research you talk about...........

As gazza12adv says, ALL petrol out there is E5 regardless of whether it's 95 or 98 RON so E5 is not replacing anything, the current high octane fuels are E5. I would imagine what will eventually happen is the everyday unleaded will be replaced by E10 with the high octane E5 fuels remaining.

A small number of outlets sell ethanol free (a number of Esso stations in parts of England) but interestingly that's down to the area distributers and not the parent company (ie Esso) so you currently need to do your research if you specifically need ethanol free (as I do).

Anyway, it's nothing new (a post like the OP must pop up on here every 6 months or so) and certainly nothing to worry about.

Andres

The ethanol does have adverse effects on some plastic petrol tanks, for example swelling. Ducati have suffered particularly in the USA, including the air cooled 1100 multistradas .............

Quite a few of the slightly older Orange bike too, such as the 950/90 SD's

Andres

I think you need to do some of that research you talk about...........

As gazza12adv says, ALL petrol out there is E5 regardless of whether it's 95 or 98 RON so E5 is not replacing anything, the current high octane fuels are E5. I would imagine what will eventually happen is the everyday unleaded will be replaced by E10 with the high octane E5 fuels remaining.

A small number of outlets sell ethanol free (a number of Esso stations in parts of England) but interestingly that's down to the area distributers and not the parent company (ie Esso) so you currently need to do your research if you specifically need ethanol free (as I do).

Anyway, it's nothing new (a post like the OP must pop up on here every 6 months or so) and certainly nothing to worry about.

Andres

Thanks

Perhaps you could forward your knowledge to the RAC in order that they are better informed.

Indeed, my research, following the OP, which I imagine was posted with good intent in order to prevent potential damage to our machinery, suggests that there is not much to fret about.

Thank you for your post; I, at least, appreciate your effort.

Thanks

Perhaps you could forward your knowledge to the RAC in order that they are better informed.

Indeed, my research, following the OP, which I imagine was posted with good intent in order to prevent potential damage to our machinery, suggests that there is not much to fret about.

Thank you for your post; I, at least, appreciate your effort.

We're in a funny mood today :D

Have another coffee :beerjug:

Andres

Earl Grey if you don't mind.

Poor bloke comes in on one of his rare visits to try and help out his biker mates and every-one jumps down his throat! If only we were all so smart!!

Never mind...peace and love!

Earl Grey if you don't mind.

Poor bloke comes in on one of his rare visits to try and help out his biker mates and every-one jumps down his throat! If only we were all so smart!!

Never mind...peace and love!

OK, I was was being a bit sharp so apologies....... but stop being so disingenuous yourself, just come out and say it rather than trying to be clever, it doesn't suit you :D

Early Grey you say, you've gone up in my estimation. Mind you it's gotta be stewed, just a dash of milk and two sugars :thumb2

Andres

my 2007 runs like a gutless dog on E10 - horrible stuff

The corrosion referred to may be the result of ethanol's tendency to pick up moisture from the air (hygroscopic), which can corrode the inside of the tank.

I currently have a nightmare with a tank which was lined many years ago. Ethanol has degraded the lining and I've had to send it to be cut open, cleaned out and sandblasted, the re-welded, pressure-tested, re-lined and re-painted :blast

This ^^^^^^^^^^ as Cookie says the 5% allows ADsorbtion of water, this can effect and corrode the mixed metals in carbs. By doubling the ethanol content the corrosive effects will increase. This will effect tanks petcocks, further knacker the rubber fuel lines and carbs. Bugger all to do with cats and the zorst.

Back
Top Bottom