Bikesure, Tracker, Robbing bastards, leaving.....

mark2jag

Reaction score
This is a story about Bikesure, as if you hadn't guessed already.....What an absolute ripoff, all started with trying to save them and myself money by having a tracker fitted to my bike.

My new bike has a not at all cheap tracker installed at £299. Anyone want to guess how much money it saved me on insurance......... wait for it you wont believe it,i know i didnt.... £9.... ...nine measly quid.. what an absolute and total ripoff, stay away from these bastard chancers......

Anyway its a nice day to not have your bike stolen.....

Oh yeah nearly forgot... It didn't affect my monthly payments,but they did say (Bless'em) that if I stayed next year they would deduct the £9.:augie

This is a story about Bikesure, as if you hadn't guessed already.....What an absolute ripoff, all started with trying to save them and myself money by having a tracker fitted to my bike.

My new bike has a not at all cheap tracker installed at £299. Anyone want to guess how much money it saved me on insurance......... wait for it you wont believe it,i know i didnt.... £9.... ...nine measly quid.. what an absolute and total ripoff, stay away from these bastard chancers......

Oh yeah nearly forgot... It didn't affect my monthly payments,but they did say (Bless'em) that if I stayed next year they would deduct the £9.:augie[/QUOTE

Look on the bright side. If they keep the discount the same, you’ll be a whole £1 in pocket after 30 years.

Not entirely sure what your gripe is ?

How much did you expect them to reduce your premium by ?

We need to know how much your premium actually is in the first place so we can work out if £9 is reasonable or not.

A tracker does not stop the bike being stolen neither does it stop Mrs Miggins not seeing you and causing a nasty SMIDSY type accident or indeed yo falling off mid corner as you over exuberantly hoon along

The risk remains to the insurer reagrdless

You could have asked them to quote how much the premium would be reduced BEFORE having the tracker fitted.

And surely you didn’t get a tracker installed purely to save money on your insurance premium....did you?

Cost of my policy is £339, No I didn't buy a tracker just to save on my cost of insurance but would have been nice had it been at direct proportion of the cost THEY would save if it were ever to be stolen

Oh and on the subject of still being a risk it appears to me that I have REDUCED my risk by having the tracker fitted , by means of improving it's chances of coming back to me at all... No one can ever mitigate their exposure to RTA's and SMIDSY's though, apart from proper training and roadcraft and not riding like a complete tool,er ahem , point made I think...

Last edited:
Cost of my policy is £339, No I didn't buy a tracker just to save on my cost of insurance but would have been nice had it been at direct proportion of the cost THEY would save if it were ever to be stolen

Oh and on the subject of still being a risk it appears to me that I have REDUCED my risk by having the tracker fitted , by means of improving it's chances of coming back to me at all... No one can ever mitigate their exposure to RTA's and SMIDSY's though, apart from proper training and roadcraft and not riding like a complete tool,er ahem , point made I think...

Not really point made

It might get stolen with the tracker and may be returned to you although there is no guarantee that will happen. It may come back to you with several thousand pounds worth of damage that the insurer will still have to stump up for.

A tracker is not a universal panacea to save insurance chimps or a cloaking device from thieves some of whom are clever and armed with technology that will defeat the tracker

Whilst I agree it is a good thing to have a tracker ( i have one) it is expecting a lot to slash loads of pounds off your current premium but it may be worth shopping around next time you come to insure and see if it makes a difference elsewhere

Oh yeah nearly forgot... It didn't affect my monthly payments,but they did say (Bless'em) that if I stayed next year they would deduct the £9.:augie

Oh dry your eyes.

Go with them or change companies.

This is how a broker explained it to me a few years ago regarding having Datatag fitted.

The premium paid covers lots of risks. A Datatag or tracker affect the theft risk part of the premium and as this probably quite low, maybe £50 (a guess) so £9 isn't a bad discount.

This is how a broker explained it to me a few years ago regarding having Datatag fitted.

The premium paid covers lots of risks. A Datatag or tracker affect the theft risk part of the premium and as this probably quite low, maybe £50 (a guess) so £9 isn't a bad discount.

This with bells on.

The bike is obviously a low theft risk so only a small part of the £339 cover the theft part of the insurance.

The owners of this model of bike must have pretty big claims and/or frequent claims due to accidents. Perhaps the people who ride this model of bike have poor observation skills and collide with pedestrians resulting in large claims? Perhaps they are just not very good riders and keep crashing so there are frequent own damage claims? Perhaps they are just unlucky and get hit by other drivers, increasing their risk? Maybe the riders are like the OP and get angry resulting in road rage claims?

I mean, it only takes one rider to mow down a bus shelter full of nuns to screw up the insurance premiums for every rider if a particular bike. In the actual example where this happened, the bike was a ZX6R and he had to ride an SV650 for a while afterwards until the effect of the DWDCA fell of his licence. He now owns a S1000XR and is obviously a reformed character.

Bought an Audi which was 3 years old and had originally been an Audi demonstrator and due to the spec had a Tracker system fitted although by the time I bought it the subsription had lapsed.

Tracker was going to charge me at that time £75 per annum to renew the subscription, my insurance company offered me an annual discount on my premium of £3.74.

Guess what I did ?

Sometimes it is easier not declaring some security, you may be committed to ensure that is active, attached, working etc for your £9 /yr, and the one time it is not, sorry no pay out because x wasn't in place. Same can go for garaging of the fine steed.

Do what you like for your peace of mind, just don't expect to get the insurance premium discount to fund it.

I renewed recently and removed my big heavy fuck-off Abus chain from the quote, because I read the small print and it was clear that the insurance would not pay out for a theft if my stated security chain was not fitted at the time.

And I never carry my big chain with with me when travelling.

So having bike chained up while at home is simply a bonus unknown to the insurance company - who don’t care.

Well, it is either the underwriter (no clue) or the broker (Bikesure) who you feel has conned you .............

Might be a bit unfair to single out Bikesure unless you are sure it is them.

A con no I don't think so, the risk of theft is no lower and recovery even with a tracker is hit or miss.Even then its usually the steering lock broken and the rear seat ripped of to search for trackers pre theft if your lucky plus the recovery and damage costs are probably no less than for a bike without one. Personally I think there is little point in having a tracker as it does not prevent the theft ,there are better anti theft options and it merely gives a false sense of security to the owner.

Done already...... Dry yer eyes, fucking cheek......Nothing funny about being ripped off,which is a little how I feel.

Got more money than sense then have you EPG...

It’s not a rip off it’s a choice that’s their price if you aren’t happy move. The insurance company owes you nothing.

How much did you want off?

How much did you want off?

Some people, me included, sometimes think that maybe the savings on the policy might be similar to the yearly cost of running the tracker to incentivise people to install them.

They seem to generally help against bike theft. There was a big fuss (in London especially) when that fucking idiot we have for Major (again, I voted for him at the time) accused bike makers of not doing enough against theft... https://www.carolenash.com/insidebi...bosses-meet-london-mayor-tackle-theft-crisis/

Well guess what? Maybe you can work with insurance companies to help people start using trackers and other gizmos that might make stealing a bike more of a complex proposition? Nah? Too easy. Too logical. And better not piss off the financial industry. :D

Anyway I did a quote with a tracker installed. Same. No savings at all. :D
I'll probably still install it and don't declare it on the policy though, as I don't declare all the chains and locks I use as I'd rather have the policy cover worst case scenarios.

Still... something could have been done to get more people to install trackers or smart security. Might have ended up helping the owners, the community, the police, and the insurers on the long run.
Imagine more people being able to travel long-ish distances on small scooters or motorbike (a lot of people are deterred by theft and insurance cost). It could almost seem like a potentially good thing to avoid overloading public transport in some areas. :D

If it helps recover the bike in a case of theft, you may well think it was worth it...

My insurance following a total loss (theft), was around £1k a year extra - over 5 years it's going to cost me a lot of money.

Some people, me included, sometimes think that maybe the savings on the policy might be similar to the yearly cost of running the tracker to incentivise people to install them.

They seem to generally help against bike theft. There was a big fuss (in London especially) when that fucking idiot we have for Major (again, I voted for him at the time) accused bike makers of not doing enough against theft... https://www.carolenash.com/insidebi...bosses-meet-london-mayor-tackle-theft-crisis/

Well guess what? Maybe you can work with insurance companies to help people start using trackers and other gizmos that might make stealing a bike more of a complex proposition? Nah? Too easy. Too logical. And better not piss off the financial industry. :D

Anyway I did a quote with a tracker installed. Same. No savings at all. :D
I'll probably still install it and don't declare it on the policy though, as I don't declare all the chains and locks I use as I'd rather have the policy cover worst case scenarios.

Still... something could have been done to get more people to install trackers or smart security. Might have ended up helping the owners, the community, the police, and the insurers on the long run.
Imagine more people being able to travel long-ish distances on small scooters or motorbike (a lot of people are deterred by theft and insurance cost). It could almost seem like a potentially good thing to avoid overloading public transport in some areas. :D

Well sure if you pay 1200 a year, then a discount of 100 (subscription) maybe acceptable
if you are paying 340 quid for 18k bike then 100 off is not

BMW now supply trackers on their big bikes with a year free subscription (so I gather you wouldn't want a discount for that?)

Back
Top Bottom