One for social media techies

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How does this happen? My wife recently set up a farcebook account and was deliberately tight with her personal info. She did not enter a phone number and the account was set up on an ipad not phone.
This account was specifically opened to join a small art group and those 6 to 10 others are her only friends. All security settings are fully locked down and this was checked by my daughter.
Now my wife has a lady who lives 10 miles away come and help in the garden every 2 weeks. The only contact they have is via text. No email etc. She does not know any of those in the art group.
She came over yesterday and said that my wife's farcebook page popped up in her farcebook account as someone she may know and wish to send a friend request to. She knew it was my wife's as she had seen some of the art she had done and this was visible on the feed she received.
I know about mobile phone traceability through gps etc and that it is easy to link contacts by phones but how did this lass get the farcebook info when my wife's phone is not linked to her account?
We are all intrigued by this. Talk about big brother!:confused:

From email or telephone contacts?

I have a couple of clients in London who regularly pop up on fb as friend suggestions despite the fact that the only contact has been by email or text ( I back up texts to a cloud given the amount of work info that comes in that way).

Does your wife have fb on her phone? Possibly the woman does.

as above, does she have facebook on her phone alongside whatsapp? Both owned by Facebook, with data shared between them [& instagram].

I know about mobile phone traceability through gps etc and that it is easy to link contacts by phones but how did this lass get the farcebook info when my wife's phone is not linked to her account?

You can get location from wired/home networks as well.

The only contact they have is via text.

Also this. Possibly the list of contacts is somehow shared by the lady with FB.
Even if she has Messenger installed (and she agreed to sharing contacts) but she doesn't use it. Your wife might have given her phone to some other account/services online where Facebook have access to the data. You don't really have to give directly to FB your number I'm afraid.

“Friend” of one of the people in the group is the most likely answer.

Tom

As above,

there is no privacy setting in facepalm really.

You may have all your stuff locked to private and friends only, but if you friend has an open or public setting, then you become visible that way.

(Welcome to Cambridge Analyitica ;) Thats how they got loads of unsolicited and private data, )

Every picture & video you post, you have by joining FB waived all copyright on any pictures and video you post.

So if FB decide to use it in a FB promo, your out of luck on royalties

Likewise leaving facebook, just unsubscribing, pressing the leave button. just suspends your account.

why would they want you to leave, there's all that advertinding they can link to you.

Every picture & video you post, you have by joining FB waived all copyright on any pictures and video you post.

Instagram is the same, even before the acquisition.
Even if, if I remember correctly, there was some adjustment/clarification on this some time ago. I don't really care about the stuff I post on IG to be fair.

The issue with FB is that they track people who are not on the platform as well, using the connection techniques listed above.
Just be aware of that.

Some really interesting responses there - thanks. Just disappointed that there was no piss-taking! (So far)! The bit about FB having rights to all your photos and/or videos is a real eye-opener - especially as this group posts their own artwork on the forum. I shall warm them of this.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did she use her phone no. to validate the account? Facebook steer you towards the "security" of them having your mobile no. for 2 part authentication. It is handy as they send a message to your phone if a new device logs into the account e.g. if you buy a new tablet or get hacked. Windows does the same. Of course, when you agree to the T&Cs you give them access to your phone book and they then cross reference this with other Facebook accounts

“Friend” of one of the people in the group is the most likely answer.

Tom

Almost certainly this ^^^^^^^^

.............. The bit about FB having rights to all your photos and/or videos is a real eye-opener - especially as this group posts their own artwork on the forum. I shall warm them of this.....

That's an urban myth, you the FB member own your own content and nobody else.

Andres

Sort of, You own the content, but.. you agree to sign away some rights

This article explains it better

https://www.copytrack.com/does-face...book's Terms of,products you use, and nothing

It's a grey area to say the least

That was an interesting article and explains it better than I've seen elsewhere.

Very simply, it means that FB have to have a clause that allows them to copy and redistribute an image when a FB user 'shares' or 'copies' an image. That could continue happening even after I closed my account. FB couldn't work if that clause wasn't there but it's not for some nefarious use by FB.

Professional photographers I work with are very wary of that as they earn their living controlling their images but, for the likes of you and I, it's (IMHO) neither here nor there.

Andres

Very simply, it means that FB have to have a clause that allows them to copy and redistribute an image when a FB user 'shares' or 'copies' an image.

Yep. But in reality not only Facebook employs this sort of requirement for user uploaded content.

That was an interesting article and explains it better than I've seen elsewhere.

Very simply, it means that FB have to have a clause that allows them to copy and redistribute an image when a FB user 'shares' or 'copies' an image. That could continue happening even after I closed my account. FB couldn't work if that clause wasn't there but it's not for some nefarious use by FB.

Professional photographers I work with are very wary of that as they earn their living controlling their images but, for the likes of you and I, it's (IMHO) neither here nor there.

Andres
Thank you so much for sharing this info which I think is also really helpful for me as a newbie.

I also believe FB uses other items in your "digital footprint" such as LinkedIn and other media you subscribe to. It's pretty scary how much "they" know about you (and me!).

Back
Top Bottom