Hello from new RT Owner

Lucasuk

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wanted to introduce myself as just joined the Forum.
I have just bought myself an RT switching from a Triumph Thunderbird Storm, so big change.
Got told about this forum from a fellow RT and member on this site so thought i better jump in.

Will post up some pictures once I have the bike which i cant wait for. Feel like a big kid.

Till then look forward to talking to you all and i am sure asking for advice :)

Cheers

Luke

Welcome. Just got my RT a month ago and have had fun pimping it out and more importantly driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to introduce myself as just joined the Forum.
I have just bought myself an RT switching from a Triumph Thunderbird Storm, so big change.
Got told about this forum from a fellow RT and member on this site so thought i better jump in.
Will post up some pictures once I have the bike which i cant wait for. Feel like a big kid.
Till then look forward to talking to you all and i am sure asking for advice :)
Cheers Luke

Welcome, but when you say RT, that covers an awful lot of possibility's. What year & model ?

If you haven't already joined, you might want to join 1200rt.com, that is a purely RT forum and mostly Europe contributors. There is also a very active RT1200/1250 facebook page. Lastly there is a mainly US based forum, with some UK contributors, http://www.bmwlt.com. Those other forums are great for info and help, but there are nowhere near the battles you find on here :)

Basically I only wanted to take the bike apart once and after speaking with some friend and research did this:

1. Denali Soundblaster horn. It is very loud and pulls 30 amps from the battery. Be warned that the bolt in bracket kit doesn't fit. :mad:
2. Ezcan with aux light brackets from Oldtimers and some lights off eBay.
3. USB on the handlebars and one in the top box. The handlebar one is switched whereas the one in the top box is unswitched. So I can charge my helmet when the bike is parked up in the garage. I drilled a little hold in the inside of the top box and ran the wire through the existing cable pass through.
4. Oldtimers sat Nav lock which is connected to the central locking. Saves the trouble taking the GPS when you are filling up or having a coffee insight of the bike (or in case I forget it).
5. Ram mount off the clutch. Normski milled me a ram ball to hold my phone.
6. Pyramid fender extender. Bit of a pain as you need to drill but saves crap on the bike.
7. SW Motech tank bag with quick release.

Very impressed with the Oldtimers products. Nice guys.

Not much left to do. Nice thing about the RT is lots of fairing to hide stuff but a real pain with all the panels.

My two pennies

Basically I only wanted to take the bike apart once and after speaking with some friend and research did this:

1. Denali Soundblaster horn. It is very loud and pulls 30 amps from the battery. Be warned that the bolt in bracket kit doesn't fit. :mad: BMW 5-series low tone car horn
2. Ezcan with aux light brackets from Oldtimers and some lights off eBay. Not needed, bike came with lights
3. USB on the handlebars and one in the top box. The handlebar one is switched whereas the one in the top box is unswitched. So I can charge my helmet when the bike is parked up in the garage. I drilled a little hold in the inside of the top box and ran the wire through the existing cable pass through. Don't need a USB outlet
4. Oldtimers sat Nav lock which is connected to the central locking. Saves the trouble taking the GPS when you are filling up or having a coffee insight of the bike (or in case I forget it). Same here, brilliant
5. Ram mount off the clutch. Normski milled me a ram ball to hold my phone. Not needed as don't use a phone on the bike
6. Pyramid fender extender. Bit of a pain as you need to drill but saves crap on the bike. Avant Fender Extender, same as Pyramid but no drilling
7. SW Motech tank bag with quick release. Same here, "City" model
8. DAB radio add-in to on-board radio

Very impressed with the Oldtimers products. Nice guys. Agree

Not much left to do. Nice thing about the RT is lots of fairing to hide stuff but a real pain with all the panels.

Welcome mate, I jumped onto my 2014 rt 9 months ago and my R1200GSA hasn’t moved since! Lol love the thing to bits!

Looking forward to seeing some pics pal!

I imagine the BMW 5 series low tone horn needed a relay of some sort? I did look at that but for £20 Denali provides a wiring harness.

I and everyone else just plugged into straight in as a replacement (not an additional horn). It was a bu**er to fit due to the awkward access as I did not remove any fairing panels.

I and everyone else just plugged into straight in as a replacement (not an additional horn). It was a bu**er to fit due to the awkward access as I did not remove any fairing panels.

The Denali was a bugger to fit and I did remove all the panels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega info, just ordered 3 for my bikes at under £8 each from an auction site! Result!

Thanks for the info!

The horn just plugs in, no relay. But some have bought off eBay and they didn't work correctly. So just buy one from any bmw car dealer over the counter.

I bought my BMW horn online from avautoparts - having convinced them that it was actually for the bike and yes I did know what I was doing.

It was very easy to fit from underneath and above, no panels need removing (this is a 1250RT, others may vary) although in a ham-fisted moment I managed to break the little retaining tab on the harness plug. :blast Not a problem as there is no tension on the cable.

Welcome, but when you say RT, that covers an awful lot of possibility's. What year & model ?

That is a very good point :)
Its a 2014 R 1200 RT LE. Should be arriving next week so very excited :D Wil post up some pics and some stuff on it.

I have ordered a GIVI top box which should be couple of weeks time. Bike stuff seems to be selling fast as allot of people are moving over to bikes.

Also on the hunt for a Navigator V as believe thats the one to get

Thank you for the welcomes and info. Think i am going to enjoying being here :)

Guys and anyone else who wishes to comment

I have been toying with the idea of changing from my 2017 1200 GS Rallye to an RT. Looking for more touring comfort and to encourage the Mrs to spend more time with me on the bike. I spoke with a guy in Morrison's car park, Diss (Norfolk) who said its the best big he's owned and loves it. Yes, he tours. He said it is very capable on all roads (gave example of very wet ride on poor roads in Ireland). My evening and weekend blasts take in a lot of B roads that very in quality. How would you rate the RT on this stuff?

Thanks to anyone who would like to comment

Guys and anyone else who wishes to comment

I have been toying with the idea of changing from my 2017 1200 GS Rallye to an RT. Looking for more touring comfort and to encourage the Mrs to spend more time with me on the bike. I spoke with a guy in Morrison's car park, Diss (Norfolk) who said its the best big he's owned and loves it. Yes, he tours. He said it is very capable on all roads (gave example of very wet ride on poor roads in Ireland). My evening and weekend blasts take in a lot of B roads that very in quality. How would you rate the RT on this stuff?

Thanks to anyone who would like to comment

Hi Gray

Might be a better idea to start a new post so yours in not buried in here:)

Back
Top Bottom