GS or GSA?

Shadow81

Reaction score
Hi

Having had a string of Triumph Explorers I have finally made the decision to move to a BMW GS. Looking around there seems to be a big difference in price between the GS and GSA, a big debate regarding ABS - which seems to have been disconnected on some bikes, and whether ESA is something you should have or not. SO, question is (I know its impossible as it is personal choice but interested in opinions) - GS or GSA, ABS or not and ESA or not? Also - is the 'Triple Black' model an upgrade or just a marketing ploy? Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

You’ll get a lot of varying opinions. Going back a few years there was an advantage to the GSA and the old twin cams are excellent bikes. In the water cooled era I’m not that sure what the advantages are. I currently have a 1200 Rallye Sport which can do everything I need including foreign touring. I suppose if you carried a passenger as a matter of course and a lot of gear in the panniers then there might be an argument but the new 1200 and 1250’s are well capable of doing that. Also for me the the triple back is largely marketing IMO.

my 2 cents, I ride an '09 GSA NON ABS and NON ESA.

It is my first BMW GS, no reason for not having ABS just the bike I found didn't have it and I wasn't fussed on having it. I knew I didn't want ESA due to the potential issues which then limited the number of available bikes as at the time they all seemed to have ESA in my criteria.

So far so good, I never rode a standard GS because I didn't like the look of them, never have. Just love the beastly look of this German bombshell in its adventure clothing. The 33L fuel tank on the GSA is a nice perk, I don't normally brim it but for trips, it does mean less stopping. A little bit better wind deflection and mm longer suspension travel from the GS as I understand it but otherwise largely similar.

90% solo with the wife sometimes, both happy as larry.

I've had several GSs and a GSA before and I've just picked up my new low GSA.

I don't truly need the range of a GSA but I do prefer them. They have much more road presence and the range should you ever need it.

One benefit Of a Gsa over a gs is the fuel range and if you tour Europe especially France on a Sunday you might find it hard to find fuel unless your on motorways

For me once you have fitted all the aftermarket 'extras' which are standard on the GSA, crash bars, luggage racks, spots etc, if that's what you want you are nearly at GSA money so you might have bought one in the first place.

I do have an occasional bought of buyers remorse and think I should have gone for the GS after 2 previous GSA's but then just make myself feel better with what I have said above.

The tank capacity thing. Yes its quite satisfying pulling up on the perimeter of a forecourt whilst your mates fill up again but the reality is you are probably ready for a stretch anyway.

I've had 2 GSAs and 2 GSs and am about to collect my 3rd GS.

The only real difference is the weight, big tank and taller suspension.

If you ride with others who are not on GSAs the big tank is not needed. If you only ride on the road or smooth gravel roads you don't need the taller suspension. The weight is particularly an issue for us more "mature" riders!

For the vast majority of riders the GS will be more suitable BUT that's not taking into account the non practical issues like style and fashion.

The gsa luggage capacity and fuel range is better and it’s a better two up bike being a bit more spacious, but unless you need those things personally as a riding experience I prefer the GS as it’s more nimble and feels a bit more sprightly to me , plus spoked wheels are a pig to clean.

I got the GSA for it's size, I'm a big bloke and make alot of bikes look tiny. I like the road presence too. ABS for me is a must as I've had it on bikes for about 20 years now and know that it has come into it's own on a few occasions. The ESA is a nice touch and now that I have it I would go for it again. The fuel range is also a biggy for me too.

The ABS question only really applies to the 1150 and 1200 oil cooled models.... And mainly only on the versions that had a servo...the LC model came out in 2014 ish and the ABS / debate died at this point.....

Avoid the early LC bikes..... anything 14-16 plate I’d stay away from... clunky gearboxes and poor finish.....

If you are thinking new??

Are you a larger gentleman

Do you tour 2 up

Etc etc etc......

Gs/GSA ....buy the one that you like and can afford...simple really

Hi

Having had a string of Triumph Explorers I have finally made the decision to move to a BMW GS. Looking around there seems to be a big difference in price between the GS and GSA, a big debate regarding ABS - which seems to have been disconnected on some bikes, and whether ESA is something you should have or not. SO, question is (I know its impossible as it is personal choice but interested in opinions) - GS or GSA, ABS or not and ESA or not? Also - is the 'Triple Black' model an upgrade or just a marketing ploy? Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.

I have a GSA with aluminium luggage, a mate has a GS with Vario panniers. He's often commented about the benefits of the top opening panniers on the GSA v the side opening panniers on the GS.
I had an RT previously with side opening panniers & find the top openers of the GSA much easier.

As others have said I also like the fuel range & the look of the GSA over the GS.

I have had a GS that I made to look like a GSA, three GSA, now gone back to a 2018 GS rally with GSA rack and panniers, not looked back,dont miss tank range and like the ride of the GS,dont miss pushing a GSA around on the drive,dont miss lifting it off side stand with full tank of fuel when on slight incline, that was a bloody heavy bike. so I personally made the right choice:D

I've had GSA's since 2006, my first being an 1150 GSA and then moved on to a 1200 GSA LC. I never even considered a GS as i always preferred the road presence of the GSA and the additional fuel capacity... Last year i traded in my 2015 GSA for a new 1250 GS Rallye, i love the new 1250 engine and subsequent power delivery but I don't like the new styling of the GSA - not entirely sure why but it is definitely something to do with the crash bars..
Since I've had the GS I've changed my mind on a number of things, firstly the suggestion that luggage capacity on the GSA is better than the GS is bollox. That's only the case if you opt for the GS luggage. I have the GSA aluminium panniers and top box on mine so no difference there. Secondly the tank capacity, now there's no doubt that the GSA holds more go go juice and i hear loads of claims of riders getting 300 miles + from a full tank. In my experience and from my style of riding i was lucky if i ever saw 250 - 275 miles from a full tank on my GSA. Last year on the Route de Grand Alpes i was getting 58.8 mpg and 250 to a full tank on my 1250, i was riding the same as i always do so i can only assume the engine on the 1250 is more efficient than that of my 1200. I'd also argue that unless you are intending to circumnavigate the globe or similar there will always be a petrol station within 200 miles of anywhere the vast majority of motorcyclists travel (even a GSA will require additional fuel carrying capability in those places). I ride through France every year and most stations now accept card payments at the pump so you'll always be able to find fuel (even on Sundays and Bank Holidays)!!
Oh, and the road presence thing is overcome by additional spots and a set of crash bars.....

The choice for me was easy, loved the engine and look of the GS over the GSA and wanted a change.. First GS i've owned and absolutely love it!!

Hi Shadow81, my tuppence worth!

I currently ride a 1250GS, prior to that I had a 2016 XR and before that an 09 GS - all having ESA - (I think ABS is a given now, and why would you not want it anyway!).:rob

Not everyone is a fan of ESA and some prefer to upgrade to aftermarket suspension etc..but for me, I love it. I ride solo during the week, two up at weekends, sometimes with luggage, sometimes without - the ESA just takes it all in its stride.

Good luck, what ever you end up with you'll love it:thumby:

David

I ride a GSA because it is obviously more of a mans bike

I find myself looking down on riders on an inferior GS

And before it's mentioned I believe my penis size is in the normal category! :okay

Always GSA for me. Comes with spot lights, engine bars, more road presence, better range, and racking on the back. If the tank is an issue just don't fill it all the way up.

2016 gsa

I bought a 2016 Triple Black GSA last year after months of homework.

Tank range is a big bonus for me, not only when touring but even back home I'm not spending half as much time in petrol stations as I fill it every time.

My opinion is that the ESA is superb, it deals with everything our roads throw at it and I wouldn't be without it.

As for ABS - with a big, heavy'ish bike why would you not want it? It's been around on bikes for years.

Personally I prefer the look and the road presence of the Adventure.

I'm not particularly tall - 5' 10" and I find the height perfect as I'm on the balls of my feet - if I'm flat footed, my legs cramp up when I'm on a bike due to the seat/peg height ratio.

For me personally, GSA all the way!

I've just taken my GS in for its service. Whilst it was in there I took out a GSA for the morning to see if I still thought the GS was the right decision. I could possibly do a year or two on a GSA at some point in the future and enjoy the extra fuel range, I've been very close to running out in the night in Europe a few times after my card wouldn't work in the self service pumps and so carry a small extra fuel can with me now. Everything else about it made me happy I had gone for the GS. I ride standing up a lot in the twisties and whilst the GS is nice and playful, the GSA is very planted on the front wheel due to the extra weight at the front which is not as fun to ride. It definitily feels more lorry like than the GS. I can imagine this making the bike even more relaxing on very long rides but since the GS will go all day in comfort it's not really a factor for me. Its hardly what it's designed for but the GS will do a track like the Nurburgring with relative nimbleness as well whereas the GSA really needs to be early on the anchors to get it stopped for sharper corners.

Back
Top Bottom