Lewis near Chesterfield...BMW R100GS (1990)

Lewis1965

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I've had my R100GS over 20 years...I still love it...Not too into the new GS's with all the new technology...I prefer to be hands on as much as I can with repairs, mods and mechanics and feel a little out of my depth with the new ones...I'm oldschool I guess...

So, my GS started life as a purple monster with a purple seat (you know the one...Uggghhhh!...Altho I did meet Jay Kay years ago and he said he liked it so who's to say)...In 2005 I decided to get the 43lt tank from HPN but wanted to keep the fairing...I managed to make a simple bracket for the fairing which fits between the forks and frame...I cut the fairing to fit clear of the tank by 10mm all around...The shock is a 'Technoflex' shock which don't exist any more afaik...I stripped the bike at the time and enamelled the frame...I had it twin plugged by the guy who did the mod for Motobins 6 or 7 years ago (I forget his name)...I sent the heads to him...and then I fitted the coils and heads on return...Ignition is standard timing...Seat is from 'Touratech'...Hepco and becker boxes...Apart from the twin plug mod I kept the engine as standard for reliability...Since the pics I've fitted a higher screen...Oh yeah, I removed the oil cooler...I only travel europe and the earlier boxers seem to be fine without one so I took it off when I did the tank mod and it's been fine so far without it...You usually need to relocate it when you fit the HPN tank so was easier just to remove it...Also swapped the head covers for the old style...I made a strengthener bracket at the back for the panniers...Also cut the back light off and rear of the mudguard and replaced it for a generic motocross one (just for looks)...Got rid of the original low mudguard (but kept the bracket on) and replaced with a generic motocross one...Aftermarket crash bars and side stand removed as it fitted on the original bars...

Had to buy one of the aftermarket stainless back brake levers (£70...ouch!) as the original one had corroded so badly it was half the thickness it use to be...It was dangerously thin...

My brother bought the exact same motorcycle a couple years after me and did the HPN tank mod same as mine (he did keep the oil cooler and relocated it under the horn in the centre)...His has touratech boxes and is black but otherwise is the same other than the mudguard mods I did...He still has it and MOT'd this year...I Mot'd mine this year during lockdown...

Be nice to know if their are any old school R100GS folk near me...

jemholmes1965@tiscali.co.uk

Happy travels fellas!

Lewis (Jem)

0JN0MRi.jpg

uBDwgZZ.jpg

IiZyjP1.jpg

BmeqlG1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the "sometimes" madhouse
there is a wealth of help and advice on this great forum - some useful some unfortunately useless but usually funny.
There are at least 2 from chessy on here with airheads.
have a great time on here :thumby: :thumby:

Welcome Lewis (Jem).
As it happens I shall be in Chesterfield tomorrow on my airhead (Blood Biking).
Fine looking machine you have there!
Hope to see you at an E Midlands breakfast before too long.

Thanks for the welcome fellas...

@timeandtide...I wonder if you've ever carried any of mine...hmmm....Gold card blood donor here...makes you wonder!

Not sure how to add an avatar of my ugly mug yet...I'm assuming I have to have a number of posts or be a subscriber for that?...anyway until then...Always nice to see who you are talking to so here's me...

tZC4MLq.jpg

Thanks for the welcome fellas...

@timeandtide...I wonder if you've ever carried any of mine...hmmm....Gold card blood donor here...makes you wonder!

Not sure how to add an avatar of my ugly mug yet...I'm assuming I have to have a number of posts or be a subscriber for that?...anyway until then...Always nice to see who you are talking to so here's me...

tZC4MLq.jpg

Go to Settings (top RH corner). "Edit Avatar". Upload any pic you like. And welcome. Your in the right place for old school airhead GSs. :thumb My 89 paralever below witht eh Bhuchaille Etive Mhor in the background.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-26 Settings - UKGSer .png
    Screenshot_2020-06-26 Settings - UKGSer .png
    8.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Bhuchaille.jpg
    Bhuchaille.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 383
Chesterfield...

...just down the road. Well, about 15 miles away, I'm the other side of Matlock from you. My r100gs, on the other hand, is the other side of the world (with family in NZ). Can't claim 20 years of ownership but I did own one all too briefly about 20 years ago and have recently come back to them. Fabulous bike for NZ back roads - hopefully there is a pic attached...

Welcome to the forum

Attachments

• P1030879.jpg
    P1030879.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 368
...just down the road. Well, about 15 miles away, I'm the other side of Matlock from you. My r100gs, on the other hand, is the other side of the world (with family in NZ). Can't claim 20 years of ownership but I did own one all too briefly about 20 years ago and have recently come back to them. Fabulous bike for NZ back roads - hopefully there is a pic attached...

Welcome to the forum

Great pic!
Just outside Matlock missen!

Last week I drove from Chesterfield to Wolverhampton and back (150 miles) in the worst down pour I have experienced on the BMW R100GS (1990) in 37 years of all weather biking...There was 2 ft (60cm) flooding in 3 areas enroute...Traffic had come to a standstill and I even witnessed a Range Rover stranded with hazard lights on and a few other cars abandoned...I managed to drive thru every flood on the bike, the worst one was actually up to my ankles on the footpegs covering both cylinder heads.It was pretty scary when the clutch started to slip dramatically in the middle of the floods but gave enough grip to pull me gently to the other side in 1st...Water must have found its way into the dry clutch but spun out on exiting the flood within a couple seconds...I got home ok!

wIndPJr.jpg

Stopped at services in the dry on way back...

5p6UCak.jpg

...Lew...

Well...was a good test for the bike...and proving again that the 'You can go fast...I can go ANYWHERE' sticker has some merit...The weird thing was that I was probably driving the only vehicle I own that could have got me home without floating down a river...lol

I just wished I had taken pics or footage of the flooding I drove through...That would have been more impressive than the ones I posted above...:blast

Great photo that last one, Lew! What exhaust / silencer arrangement do you have on the bike?

Welcome Lewis

The East Midlands section have a couple of breakfast meets each month and several come over from Derbyshire.

Some of us go to the classic and modern bike meet at The Elm Tree Scarcliffe on Tuesday evenings that is not very far from you.

It would be good to see you and your GS there (afraid my airhead is a mono).

Gerry:thumby:

Attachments

• 1AE95DCC-FF9F-468A-AC1D-3B1A2C5DB0EE.jpg
    1AE95DCC-FF9F-468A-AC1D-3B1A2C5DB0EE.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 282
@Posh Pete...Its just a standard tail pipe although I think the baffles are gone...I invested in a 'Y' connector as it was cheaper than the box at the time...The pipe is loud really compared to standard but its simpler which I like...

@Tbolt... That's good news...Scarcliffe is just up the road from me...How do I find out about The East Midlands section meets?

Nothing wrong with the monolever...Some would say the paralever was a backward step in terms of lubrication...Having had to replace the shaft on mine I'd favour mono every time...Beautiful 80GS...I had an R80RT was my first Beemer...I don't think that extra 200cc is a really game changer for me...

Back
Top Bottom