Side Stand - has anybody broken one over time?

It's my gear (tight leathers trews) that stop me swinging my leg over - can't get the swing height at my current weight.

Thanks for the replies - at least I can carry on eating chips now :D:thumb2

When off-road training with BMW we were taught the 'pivot turn'

This involved leaning the WHOLE weight of the bike, balanced just on the side stand, and pivot rotate the WHOLE bike weight on the side stand 180 degrees.

So I think they're fairly strong :D

However, on my Africa Twin NO WAY could you do that without snapping or twisting it.

On that bike I had to beef it up with a replacement stand.

Side stand up, bike upright, bars turned right, head up and looking forward (same direction as bike is facing), bend right knee, flex slightly forward at hips as you move leg over bike.
Easy, you don't kick shit out of your bike, and it looks professional. Leave the side stand down whilst learning the technique for extra confidence.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I do the same

Course you do JB ;) given that your almost twice my height, and leg length, it would be easy .

I'll add your reply into the same category as satanly ;)

Some folk just dont get do they ? Just because they can do it doesnt mean everyone can. Ignorance is what it is, nothing more.

Course you do JB ;) given that your almost twice my height, and leg length, it would be easy .

"satanly"?... Is that me?!

I'm just under 5'10". I have my seat in the high at the front, low at the back position. The technique I described is used by many folks (in the know) to get on or off very tall off-road bikes. But hey, don't bother trying it, just dismiss the genuine advice if you prefer.

TBF, I would not choose to ride a GSA if I were more than a couple of inches shorter

I have just taken 20mm out of the length of my side stand, would be better at 15mm, bike leans over better and is easier to get on as you can keep your left leg on the ground while swinging your right leg over. I have a 31” inside leg. I got fed up with the bike feeling like it was going to fall over while getting aboard.

Alternatively, put the bike in 1st, with the engine running

Slowly let the clutch out and run alongside, hop on the left peg, with your left foot and then swing your right leg over the bike, as you ride off

I have seen it at a few UKGSER events, looks very trick and certainly a better mod than any TT bling

Alternatively, put the bike in 1st, with the engine running

Slowly let the clutch out and run alongside, hop on the left peg, with your left foot and then swing your right leg over the bike, as you ride off

I have seen it at a few UKGSER events, looks very trick and certainly a better mod than any TT bling

I've seen the YT vid of a guy doing this - I reckon 98% of GSer's wouldn't dare try it - me included :D

Whilst on the subject of getting on the bike, how do your passengers get on ?
Only just got mine so the Mrs has not been on the bike yet.

On the old harley she would get on from the right side by putting her foot on the peg and swinging her leg over (along with kicking the shit out of the panniers) :blast:blast
I was on the bike, sidestand down, front brake on.

I always use the side stand to mount and dismount, and have been for the last 5 years with no problems. The bikes a 2015 GS, and I'm 80 kg

Always used on side stand near side footpeg to mount ... I'm 96KG with all my gear on, heavier with backpack, done it for years, never a problem, R1100RT, R1200RT, R1250RT, much easier to get on especially if Ortlieb bag across rear seat, also particularly with the 1250RT saves marking the pannier with your boot

What a load of rubbish to say you can’t use the stand. People routinely rotate the bike on the side stand. If you weigh 200Kg it may be inadvisable but otherwise it’s fine to stand on the peg to mount, especially if you have panniers or a bag on the back seat. That or learn some martial arts and do a roundhouse kick over the top of the seat :beerjug:

"satanly"?... Is that me?!

I'm just under 5'10". I have my seat in the high at the front, low at the back position. The technique I described is used by many folks (in the know) to get on or off very tall off-road bikes. But hey, don't bother trying it, just dismiss the genuine advice if you prefer.

TBF, I would not choose to ride a GSA if I were more than a couple of inches shorter

Some of us aren't anywhere near 5'10" lol ;) but i'm not going to give the piss takers any more fuel ;) by stepping on a peg to get on the bike, ;)

I can swing my leg over quite easily and lift the bike upright of the stand

so whilst you method might look professional (lol) and out of a text book, i'll stick with getting my leg over :) :beerjug:

Since fitting panniers to my bike, I’ll be standing on the peg to mount it. Wish me luck. :D

Back
Top Bottom