Side Stand - has anybody broken one over time?

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm using the sidestand/left footrest to climb onto the bike, as I can't get my leg over - some say they feel the sidestand isn't up to the job, while others say they do it all the time.

I'm presuming that when loaded up for tours etc, there's no other way of getting aboard.

So, has anyone ever had a sidestand/frame break on a GS/GSA over the longer term?

I'm using the sidestand/left footrest to climb onto the bike, as I can't get my leg over - some say they feel the sidestand isn't up to the job, while others say they do it all the time.

I'm presuming that when loaded up for tours etc, there's no other way of getting aboard.

So, has anyone ever had a sidestand/frame break on a GS/GSA over the longer term?

Probably better to clamber aboard when it's on the centrestand but saying that, if I was feeling particularly weak and the panniers were on the bike then I would occasionally get on with the sidestand down. I expect I'm heavier than most on this site and it didn't do mine any harm.:nenau

Not broken as such , but well away from normal

Two of them

My hexhead, the outer bearings were definatley worn, which corresponded to the up and down positions when the bike was on

the side stand. The foot however was flat,

However the bike was two far over when on the side stand to do the leg over mount

My LC, the stand is fairly upright, and i suspect was owned by a leg over mount person.

The foot has a distinct bend to it, so any stand extender wont fit.

It dosen't help on the LC with that stupid little hump on the rear seat, every time you swing your leg over you whack it lol

Having a bad back, I used to go through periods of mounting as the OP, and never had any issues.

All depends how much you weigh. ;)

I'll be doing this infrequently when touring, with the SW Motech panniers on I can just about get my leg over (6ft 2 and 36inch inseam) but with the extra bags strapped to the top I've got no chance. Can't even get my leg high enough to do a karate stance to get over it, especially not in full bike gear.

What about instead mounting from the peg on the right hand side?
I do this when parked up tight against a wall.
It helps pull the bike upright a bit is easier for me as I have more swinging room for my leg with the bike leant away rather than towards.

I jump up from behind. Much as you would mount a horse. It is the best way. Just make a small run to gain speed and then use your arms to gain hight on the rear pannier. Remember to spread your legs though!

I jump up from behind. Much as you would mount a horse. It is the best way. Just make a small run to gain speed and then use your arms to gain hight on the rear pannier. Remember to spread your legs though!

Video or you're fibbing :D

Sidestands are for holding up the bike, NOT enabling the rider to mount the bike:blast

I’m a short arse and also use the side stand for mounting my steed as instructed by BMW at Walters Arena!

If you ask any knowledgeable Dealer the use of the footrest to mount the bike in conjunction with the correct use of the handle bars is indeed correct! If fully loaded with a passenger, passenger mounts first followed by rider! Stand will take it!

The stand will easily take ur weight when mounting!

Good luck

I am not a short arse but I get on my bike from the RHS. Stand on the right foot peg and climb on. Try it, you will be surprised how intuitive it feels.

Side stand up, bike upright, bars turned right, head up and looking forward (same direction as bike is facing), bend right knee, flex slightly forward at hips as you move leg over bike.
Easy, you don't kick shit out of your bike, and it looks professional. Leave the side stand down whilst learning the technique for extra confidence.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Side stand up, bike upright, bars turned right, head up and looking forward (same direction as bike is facing), bend right knee, flex slightly forward at hips as you move leg over bike.
Easy, you don't kick shit out of your bike, and it looks professional. Leave the side stand down whilst learning the technique for extra confidence.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I take it you are not 5'6" then.

I take it you are not 5'6" then.

I put the side stand down, turn the bars to the right, and swing my leg over ( bloody rear seat lip not witstanding grr)

as i come over i can just lift the bike off the side stand.

i'm 5' 5" ;)

Satanly is just trying to take the piss ignore him

Back
Top Bottom