New Rubber For my R122R Sport

Browner

Reaction score
Just had my 2018 R1200R LC Sport serviced by BMW and having read a tyre article in Junes edition of Ride Magazine decided to replace the 2 new tyres and change from the factory fitted Michelin Road 4. The rear needed changing due to wear anyway.

The article reviewed Bridgestone T31, Michelin Road 5, Continental Road Attack 3, Pirelli Angel GT II, Dunlop RoadSmart III and Metzeler Roadtec 01SE.

The test was conducted using a R1250 RS and the conclusive winner by 2 journalists were the Metzeler's so that's what I went for.

Early days yet but they immediately felt soo much better on the 30 mike journey home. Loads of more feel, really stable and definitely helped my confidence even whilst still scrubbing in.

:beerjug:

Metzeler's are well known for being hard wearing,

They take ages to scrub in though. 200 miles for my Avons near on 400+ for the equivalent Metzelers

I have been blathering on and raving about the roadtec since 2016

Its good to see people finally getting on board with them as they are IMO the best tyres money can buy unless you are stick of course who knows better

To the OP

Avon state only dry miles count when scrubbing in new tyres ,

Any wet miles should not be counted as part of the scrubbing in process

Not sure what Metzeler recommend

Metzeler's are well known for being hard wearing,

They take ages to scrub in though. 200 miles for my Avons near on 400+ for the equivalent Metzelers

I am not saying you’re wrong, but I have never done anything like that mileage to scrub in new tyres. Where did you get the 400+ miles from? Is it just when you feel happy to ride harder?

I checked Metzeler.com and it says, “For optimum performance, new tyres should be ridden on cautiously for the first 100-200 km. During this run-in period sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided.” So their advice is up to 124 miles.

Dunlop.eu give a similar recommendation: “When new tyres are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered.”

I am not saying you’re wrong, but I have never done anything like that mileage to scrub in new tyres. Where did you get the 400+ miles from? Is it just when you feel happy to ride harder?

I checked Metzeler.com and it says, “For optimum performance, new tyres should be ridden on cautiously for the first 100-200 km. During this run-in period sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided.” So their advice is up to 124 miles.

Dunlop.eu give a similar recommendation: “When new tyres are fitted, they should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles has been covered.”

What they say , and the real world, are a million miles apart.

I had my Tourances fitted and had 2 weeks running to and from work, then a run up to MM so roundabout 335 miles.

went out for a bimble accrossthe local roads, and it was like riding on Teflon, the back end was allover the place, and the front had a few slides with very little loading

another 200 miles later, and they were fine, grip like sticky shit to a blanket

Just don't chuck it hard in to the first roundabout.

Just had my 2018 R1200R LC Sport serviced by BMW and having read a tyre article in Junes edition of Ride Magazine decided to replace the 2 new tyres and change from the factory fitted Michelin Road 4. The rear needed changing due to wear anyway.

The article reviewed Bridgestone T31, Michelin Road 5, Continental Road Attack 3, Pirelli Angel GT II, Dunlop RoadSmart III and Metzeler Roadtec 01SE.

The test was conducted using a R1250 RS and the conclusive winner by 2 journalists were the Metzeler's so that's what I went for.

Early days yet but they immediately felt soo much better on the 30 mike journey home. Loads of more feel, really stable and definitely helped my confidence even whilst still scrubbing in.

:beerjug:

Oh no. I didn’t need to hear how good those tyres are...

My bike is currently wearing Bridgestone BT016 R tyres and they’re practically new. They’re OK in the dry, but you’ve got me tempted. And Pete has just posted about Demon Tweeks’ bargain price!

I don’t really have a choice, do I?

What they say , and the real world, are a million miles apart.

I had my Tourances fitted and had 2 weeks running to and from work, then a run up to MM so roundabout 335 miles.

went out for a bimble accrossthe local roads, and it was like riding on Teflon, the back end was allover the place, and the front had a few slides with very little loading

another 200 miles later, and they were fine, grip like sticky shit to a blanket

As I said, I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve not had that experience with any tyre (started riding in 1971) and normally start going for it after 100 miles or so. No problems so far!

150+ miles now done on the Metzeler Roadtec 01SE and they definitely feel sufficiently scrubbed in.

You wont regret it, I cant sum up how much better the bike feels, steers and rides. Enjoy.

I bet they do Good work. I'm getting a pair fitted on Wednesday. Hopefully.

Metzler are running a promotion at the moment, £40 gift card with each set purchased. Have a look on their website :okay

I am getting my 01SEs fitted next week, will be doing the same!

Fitted, by an awful company who I won't be using again, but they are on. Looking forward to some better weather to bed them in!

Attachments

• IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 156

Back
Top Bottom