Early Hexhead Questions

Thanks mate :) yeah I found the big water cooled to be perfect for me apart from a bmw dealer screwing it up was a real shame so whatever I get I'll be self servicing :)

oh yeah loving the looks of the 07's the shape is really cool on them.

That's good to know on the abs really not that bad as general servicing cheaper than a years extended warranty.

Speaking of calipers I regularly have to clean the fireblade ones total nightmare for getting grime in them gotta love the drums on my Norton 650ss brilliant in bad weather.

Thanks Austin bit more millage than I was looking for as I'm gonna really be cranking it on one when I get one looks a brilliant bike though!! :)

Thanks botus that's really interesting it's good to see a bit of a breakdown of the differences like that helps me get my head round it a bit difference wise.

That's a gutter on the abs but good to know my dads merc had that fault abs pump went on it at a certain set of actuations.
Don't be put off by the mileage. I mean it. These are not cars...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi mate yep I totally get that but I know how much miles I do a year an what I'm intending to do :beerjug: plan on getting one to keep for a while if I can if I get something to high I'll be at 200k before you know it.

Hi mate yep I totally get that but I know how much miles I do a year an what I'm intending to do :beerjug: plan on getting one to keep for a while if I can if I get something to high I'll be at 200k before you know it.
Ok! I see where you're coming from

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just wanna say a huge thanks to everyone that's been commenting it's a really big help leaning towards one of the single cammer 1200's now something a bit more modern as I've already got a few classics :) Even been having a bit of a look at the Normal GS as well as the GSA which surprised me although I do reckon my pref is gonna be the GSA once I start to look :)

What were the changes in the MU bikes apart from HP and ESA or was that it?:beerjug: Did the gs an gsa get the same changes?

£3k will buy an early bike in nice order
That’s your starting point on a 1200
It would also buy a mint 1100
Or a good 1150.
The 3 bikes are all good but obviously an evolution on each subsequent model.
I’ve owned and ridden all of them,
And would buy any again.
Condition,condition condition.
Vs price.
The 1200 is more than likely gonna hit you with an unexpected repair though.:comfort

That said there’s some big milers out there.

Thanks Mikey appreciate the reply always good to hear from you guys that have owned a few different models, yeah was saying to dad an 1150 is still in the running all depends on how much I end up with once my race bike is picked up by a collector coming from germany then I decide what else to sell. Probably the rd250c aircooled seems logical as Ive got my 250lc going back together so sorta doubled up. That will be the difference between 1150 vs hexhead budget. Good to know what the 1200s are about at though, seen a few 1200 single cams mu normal gs bikes for just under 4k with 30-40k

Still sussing the prices out on the gsa ones saw a few 07's from 3 an a half to 5k an a few Mu's at 5,500-6. An a few twin cams kicking around from 6-8k some in the middle with really low miles.

Not seen as many mu bikes as 06/07's GSA wise.

I'm guessing the 1200 gsa will be a fair bit closer to the 1200 gsa lc I had. Loved everything about that bike apart from its reliability was a 2014.

Is there quite a jump reliability wise between the 07 an the 08 mu gsa guys?

Totally agree though condition is everything :)

Love the look of all the years to much choice!! Haha!

twin cam smoother, different better gearbox

everything is optional
TPMS
Trip computer
Alarm
ABS
Heated grips

on the GSA again grips, TPMS, and ABS optional, as is aux spot lights and ESA

I wouldn't say any difference in reliability.... except to highlight German manufactures (very much so on cars) are erring heavily towards a shorter and shorter life expectancy. Orig S class merc 20 years no worries, new ones 3 years and one second

I'm guessing the 1200 gsa will be a fair bit closer to the 1200 gsa lc I had. Loved everything about that bike apart from its reliability was a 2014.

As written above, my GSA is closing on 60k miles and required significant more maintenance compared to my R1150R at similar mileage (but a fraction of the age).
The only two painful were the shaft and replacing the clutch (that would have been avoidable).
Everything else is random stuff you save money for when you have a 1200 bike (and mikey is too far away) :)

Thanks lads really appreciate the info :)

That's interesting regarding the reliability botus.

Narrowed it down to a 2008 hexhead budget wise over the twin cam or an 1150 single spark I think when I start looking. Pretty sure I'm gonna look at a GSA again but the normal GS hexheads mu's sure are attractive price wise.

Back
Top Bottom