F800GSA

Jimnic007

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just posted in the new members sections, but imagine this is a better place for questions.

I am based in Frodsham, Cheshire and am considering buying a F800 GSA as a commuter bike for trips into Manchester a couple of times a week and for some runs out at the weekend.

It would be my first bike, hence looking towards the 800 and not the 850 or the 1250!

Any advice on the sweetspot for age and spec of this model before I go looking.

There seem to be GS, GSA, T and TE versions and it all gets rather confusing.

Thanks in advance,

James

How tall are you? The 800GSA is very tall and although agile enough, isn’t what I’d expect as a first bike. It’s also fairly heavy. The GSA didn’t really have any significant changes other than a visual tweak and Euro4 capability. Spec - TE basically is T and came with everything including pointless spot lights. Reliable and generally well-built but gets tatty if not regularly cared for. Look at fork bottoms (corrosion can start there as water and road crud collects inside the mudguard), underside of the engine and banjo bolts on brakes for a guide to how well it’s been looked after. Try to get one with luggage (if you want it) as it’s expensive and specific to this model (1200GSA luggage doesn’t fit).

However, you’re only road riding the F700GS is better-handling (smaller front wheel), has tubeless tyres, is significantly cheaper and is just as capable. It’s the same engine, just slightly down tuned and with more low end shove, yet still well capable on motorways. The only advantage of the GSA is the much bigger tank range. I’ve had both as an everyday bike and preferred the 700.

I'm with Matty589 - kick off with the road oriented F650/700GS (the latter got twin front discs). Well priced & economical - just check out the sticky info in 'The Bikes' section for detail.

The GSA is a great bike, but the seat height will make it a real handful on a commute.

As Marty said,it's a very tall bike.Low seats are available but hard to find.
Very underrated bike,I loved mine,all day comfort. At 6ft tall I still needed to wary parking on uneven ground.
The spotlight s are superb for being seen by others.
I would avoid the hard luggage in preference to soft.
If you want a v immaculate 800 gsa,there is a white TE on biketrader.
I have known the bike for 12 months and owned by a UKGSER.
Just had a big service by BMW.
Good luck with your search

I agree with above. I ran a gsa for about 2 years. Very high seat. Not for the short legs. Tubed tyers are a PAIN at puncture time. I wouldn’t recommend it for first bike. Don’t get me wrong they are a very good bike. I’d recommend a f700 or even a 1200 if you want. The saddle is higher than a 1200 gsa. Also check your license. JJH

Thanks for the reply,

I am 6ft and around 16 stone, so pretty big. I originally thought the 310 might be good to start on, but was worried about the size of it and me! The other thing I liked about the GSA was the added weather protection in the typical northern weather!

I will take a look at the 700 and maybe use it as a stepping stone.

Thanks again

If you’re 6 feet tall the GSA won’t be a problem to you. I’m 5’10” and I’ve had both the stock 800 and the GSA. Both were lovely bikes with bombproof engines. I don’t recall the GSA being noticeably taller than the 800 but it was a nicer bike to ride. You should be able to pick one up in reasonable condition at a decent price. Try one out. If you’re comfortable on it it’s a better bike than the 700.

Back
Top Bottom