Want noise in the head - confused !

Alan B

Reaction score
Have never used headset, so knowledge base is zero, and am struggling to understand/evaluate the options.

My requirements are modest - I want to hear the commands from the Motorrad V Sat Nav, and would like to listen to radio.

I have Shoei helmet, but no speakers.

Don't want to speak to anyone else, or take/make phone calls.

Is there an obvious solution, or is it how long is a piece of string ?

cheers, Alan

I am very happy with my Sena SMH5FM. The most basic in the Sena range, I just want to talk to my wife on the pillion and when needed get directions off my phone. Not the best sound quality or as fully featured as other models but they have been very reliable, easy enough to use and Bluetooth pair to stuff. Relatively cheap too. Battery lasts all day.

I use an SMH5 too. It does everything I want it to.
Music on Nav V
Connects iPhone
Links to mates BT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very happy with my Sena SMH5FM. The most basic in the Sena range, I just want to talk to my wife on the pillion and when needed get directions off my phone. Not the best sound quality or as fully featured as other models but they have been very reliable, easy enough to use and Bluetooth pair to stuff. Relatively cheap too. Battery lasts all day.

Thanks for replies all.

With this solution does the music come from the Sena unit, or does it have to be linked with smart phone ?

Thanks for replies all.

With this solution does the music come from the Sena unit, or does it have to be linked with smart phone ?

there’s no storage capability in the Sena unit. It will however pair with any Bluetooth device that can store and play music: your phone, Sat Nav, something else?? It has full A2DP connectivity, in simple terms you can start, stop, advance music, answer phone, make a call, vol up/down etc all from the headset by a long, short or double taps on the buttons. Takes a while to learn but you will soon get there.

Have never used headset, so knowledge base is zero, and am struggling to understand/evaluate the options.

My requirements are modest - I want to hear the commands from the Motorrad V Sat Nav, and would like to listen to radio.

I have Shoei helmet, but no speakers.

Don't want to speak to anyone else, or take/make phone calls.

Is there an obvious solution, or is it how long is a piece of string ?

cheers, Alan

To listen to your sat nav commands, you need to connect a Bluetooth device to it.

This can be a simple Bluetooth headset (https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...98S1GXF9G1F&psc=1&refRID=N74Z3JZZ898S1GXF9G1F)
Or something more complex like a Bluetooth communicator like a Sena, Intaride, or similar.

The communicators are basically Bluetooth “brokers” that allow multiple Bluetooth devices to connect, like your Nav V, a phone, or another communicator for bike to bike or rider to pillion communication. They come with speakers and you need to mount the speakers and the device to your helmet.
They don’t provide music, although the Sena’s do have a rather crap radio function. Your Nav V however will play music, and the Garmin versions (can’t speak for the Nav V) have a Spotify app.

Most people use their phone to provide music and radio, but if you want to connect both your Nav V and listen to music or radio from your phone, you’ll need a Sena or similar as the simple headsets have no way to switch between a phone and the Nav V.

Hope that helps.

To listen to your sat nav commands, you need to connect a Bluetooth device to it.

This can be a simple Bluetooth headset (https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Head...98S1GXF9G1F&psc=1&refRID=N74Z3JZZ898S1GXF9G1F)
Or something more complex like a Bluetooth communicator like a Sena, Intaride, or similar.

The communicators are basically Bluetooth “brokers” that allow multiple Bluetooth devices to connect, like your Nav V, a phone, or another communicator for bike to bike or rider to pillion communication. They come with speakers and you need to mount the speakers and the device to your helmet.
They don’t provide music, although the Sena’s do have a rather crap radio function. Your Nav V however will play music, and the Garmin versions (can’t speak for the Nav V) have a Spotify app.

Most people use their phone to provide music and radio, but if you want to connect both your Nav V and listen to music or radio from your phone, you’ll need a Sena or similar as the simple headsets have no way to switch between a phone and the Nav V.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to say depending which Shoei you have there may be a custom fit Sena which is much neater than the unit stuck on the side of the helmet.

There's a bod on here that is a Cardo dealer......i'll trawl and come back .

I opted for a Cardo Freecom. Built in Radio and links to the satnav. I use it with Ultimate Ear monitors rather than speakers as I have tinnitus. I get good sound quality at a low enough sound level that I can still hear tyre roar of a car moving into my blind spot.

Of course it also provides phone and intercom connectivity that you aren't wanting but it does mean that I can listen to my own music from the phone if I so choose.

There are differing designs some come without a microphone, some with a boom mike and some with a hidden mike you can put behind the lining of the helmet.

I opted for a Cardo Freecom. Built in Radio and links to the satnav. I use it with Ultimate Ear monitors rather than speakers as I have tinnitus. I get good sound quality at a low enough sound level that I can still hear tyre roar of a car moving into my blind spot.

Of course it also provides phone and intercom connectivity that you aren't wanting but it does mean that I can listen to my own music from the phone if I so choose.

I went Freecom 2+ and it’s a good unit
Links great to the TFT as long as ou remember to power on the TFT first before the Freecom, phone and media then controlled through the TFT
Two Bluetooth channels so you can be paired to TFT and Sat Nav at the same time
Pairs ok to my mates Sena and we get a few hundred yards range bike to bike
Built in radio
Battery lasts around 12 hours, outlasted my mates Sena by several hours
I’d recommend it for a lowish cost good reliable unit

Liaised with Creags (thanks for putting me on to him Big Si). Really helpful guy, exchanged a number of emails, and he recommended Freecom 1, and I've purchased from him.
It has FM radio, and will also be linked to Navigator 5 for Sat Nav instructions, and playing mp3.
Thanks all who provided advice.

Sorry to jump onto your thread Alan but I am in a similar position to you and also found the above very useful. I've just sold my ageing GSA 1200 and Zumo 550 Nav and am likely to be entering the new world of TFT's and Bluetooth systems.
This thread very useful but could someone please confirm the role of the TFT in the setup? I understand using the Bluetooth Freecom/Sena unit to pair with Nav and Phone but not the TFT.
Also I have been accustomed to riding with wired Etymotic Ear Buds which sound great and also double up as Earplugs to keep out wind noise. I presume with helmet speakers wind noise is not suppressed?
Any help gratefully received.

One tip I strongly recommend is investing in the latest , highest spec device you can find at the time. Regrettably this comes at a cost. But it will guarantee two things, First, It will be compatible with all current hardware, TFT, mobile devices etc, and second, it will prove to a certain extent a future proof system. Initially I went through 2 headsets before finding out, at the expense of my wallet, the minimum spec , and the units that work. For example, TFT requires minimum bt 4.1.... so the headset and mobile device have to be this at the very least.
My set up is
Sena 30K
Galaxy note 9
Nav 6.
And works brilliantly.
The facebook group site is full of information to assist you on your way.
Good luck.
BMW Motorrad TFT connectivity / facebook

Also worth noting that there is a difference in sound quality between Sena and Cardo, generally Sena is better for voice but Cardo with the JBL speakers are better for music.

All based on my experience of having both the Sena 10u Arai and the Cardo freecom 4 plus

I've just upgraded my old Cardo Q1 to a Freecom 4+ (only reason I went for the 4+ was to get the fancy JBL speakers), and the Freecom units are much improved over the older Q1. The radio locks onto stations much easier and the reception is much better than the earlier Q1 unit.

Only issue I found was the speakers werent in exactly the right position on my helmet so needed to shave a little foam from the cheek pieces (this wasnt an issue on my normal full face Arai, but on the Arai X-Tour it needed a little work with a stanley knife on the cheek foam.

Let us know how you get on with it !

RBW.

Liaised with Creags (thanks for putting me on to him Big Si). Really helpful guy, exchanged a number of emails, and he recommended Freecom 1, and I've purchased from him.
It has FM radio, and will also be linked to Navigator 5 for Sat Nav instructions, and playing mp3.
Thanks all who provided advice.

Back
Top Bottom