routes in Benelux & Germany

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
as we see opportunities starting to open up for biking travel i'd like to offer any support for those looking to travel to Benelux or Germany. Its basically my riding back yard and whilst i dont want to take anything away from our real experts like Wapping i have quite a few routes in Netherlands and Germany and am happy to help anyone planning trips to the Western Germany or Benelux areas. Routes, hotels etc.
Feel free to drop me a line if i can be of any assistance.
Again i am not expert like Richard but can help in my own little way

Lovely offer. I've ridden a fair amount in Ardennes but only strayed into Germany in that area a couple of times. We have no bike trip planned for this year, and I quite enjoy the route planning process, but I'd love to share routes with you in advance for future trips in case I'm missing something.

I can certainly recommend Gernany over the Belgium / Luxembourg border and further north before you hit the flatlands between there and the Baltic coast. The coast I like too, not least as it is different to other more popular (at least to Brits) areas. I can definitely recommended the lap of Germany I was lucky enough to do a few years ago.

We stopped for a few days in Monschau a couple of years ago and it was a lovely spot to use as a base for exploring the Eifel region not hurt in the slightest by having a brewery in the town :beerjug:

We used it as a stopover before a weekend at Spa watching the Bikers Classic and it’s close enough to travel each day if you don’t fancy stopping at the circuit :okay

We stopped for a few days in Monschau a couple of years ago and it was a lovely spot to use as a base for exploring the Eifel region not hurt in the slightest by having a brewery in the town :beerjug:

We used it as a stopover before a weekend at Spa watching the Bikers Classic and it’s close enough to travel each day if you don’t fancy stopping at the circuit :okay

Which place did you stay at? I stopped for lunch in Monschau, well on the outskirts at that weird market place selling allegedly artisan crafts. Decent café and I had a nice bowl of goulash soup on what was a wet day on an Easter break. Our break to France this week was scuppered so we are considering a visit to that area in September. I had put Trier as a place for a base as it has options if people want a day off the bike or the weather goes all Eifel.

If anyone else has a suggestion as an alternative to Trier as a base for 3 nights that is about 3 or 4 hours from Eurotunnel then please chirp in. Needs to have some potential for a day off the bike on foot for those of a geriatric or alcoholic persuasion. Some fall into both categories. If everyone turns up that was booked this week then it will need to offer 6 rooms.

Which place did you stay at? I stopped for lunch in Monschau, well on the outskirts at that weird market place selling allegedly artisan crafts. Decent café and I had a nice bowl of goulash soup on what was a wet day on an Easter break. Our break to France this week was scuppered so we are considering a visit to that area in September. I had put Trier as a place for a base as it has options if people want a day off the bike or the weather goes all Eifel.

If anyone else has a suggestion as an alternative to Trier as a base for 3 nights that is about 3 or 4 hours from Eurotunnel then please chirp in. Needs to have some potential for a day off the bike on foot for those of a geriatric or alcoholic persuasion. Some fall into both categories. If everyone turns up that was booked this week then it will need to offer 6 rooms.

I can highly recommend the Eifel area and we tend to go every year. We stop just over the border with Luxemburg in a small village Koerperich. The hotel is excellent and extremely good value for money. Biker friendly. Rates around EURO 39-42 per night including breakfast. Also great as a base if you wish to explore the Eifel, Nuremburgring, Moselle wine areas etc. Hotel is basic and its in a small village so if you prefer the city then Tier indeed is probably a better bet. If you are looking for a day off walking then this is just the place. We have also stayed just across the border in Vianden which is a bit more lively and touristy but the prices are at least double if not more.
Routes for Eifel i can also help with. Drop me a pm and i 'll send you some ideas.

Lovely offer. I've ridden a fair amount in Ardennes but only strayed into Germany in that area a couple of times. We have no bike trip planned for this year, and I quite enjoy the route planning process, but I'd love to share routes with you in advance for future trips in case I'm missing something.

Drop me a pm and i can give you some more info.

We stopped in a place called Villadelux Elbershof bit I think it’s all apartments so probably not what you’d be looking for.

There seemed to be plenty of options regarding places to stay and there was certainly a good choice of bars and restaurants. The brewery had a tap type bar that also sold really good strudel so we obviously gave it some punishment but we’d taken the eBikes on the back of the car and were doing 20-30 mile rides around the area then dropping back down into town on scabby little trails.

Heimbach is a decent base, if you want somewhere a bit more to the north east of the Eifel.

Kloster Mariawald is a good place to have a break: they are famous for their pea and ham soup. https://kloster-mariawald.de

And just to the north of Heimbach, this place is VERY HIGHLY recommended for a stop, be it lunch, a beer or a coffee. http://www.hausener-kaffeestuebchen.de
Try their house speciality: a 'Windbeutel' (but only order the 'halb Windbeutal' (a half portion) as what you get is enormous: a chop pastry confection filled with fresh whipped cream and cherries. It is to die for!!

Cochem or one of the towns along the river?

Yes, will look at those thanks. We used Remich on the Mosel in Lux on the way back from Colmar last year. In the June heatwave. I think it will be a tad milder in late Sept hence the desire for a place with more non-riding options.

Clervaux, is a nice enough small town, but I think you have stayed there?

St Vith is OK, too.

St Vith is OK, too.

Thanks

Yes, stayed in Clervaux and it's on the list.

I will take a look at St Vith - only passed the motorway exit.

I have visited the area fairly often as you have to pass through to get to so many other places and it is convenient for an overnight stop. Just like to go places not visited before plus, as you know only too well, balancing the needs of an ageing touring group!

Thanks

I have visited the area fairly often as you have to pass through to get to so many other places and it is convenient for an overnight stop. Just like to go places not visited before plus, as you know only too well, balancing the needs of an ageing touring group!

How about Diekirch? A reasonably large town, conveniently situated; so should give enough choice of hotels, bars (it's the home of the eponymous beer's brewery) restaurants and things to see and do, I guess.

https://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/ardennes/diekirch

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-places-visit-luxembourg/3/

Try their house speciality: a 'Windbeutel' (but only order the 'halb Windbeutal' (a half portion) as what you get is enormous: a chop pastry confection filled with fresh whipped cream and cherries. It is to die for!!

Jaysus, I haven’t had one of those in years. My late mother used to make a tray full of small ones for birthdays, etc :drool

Cochem indeed is great with plenty to see and do but the hotel prices can be quite steep for that reason. I stay quite regularly in a small town further up the River called Urzig. Small wine town. We stay at the Derkum wine hotel: link is https://weingut-derkum.de/. Rooms are OK, they are refurbishing many of them but the rates are fine, food great in the converted wine cellar. there are so many other options along the river.
Just an idea.....

I think the truth is there are lots of hotels and / or places to stay.

Everyone usually wants something different:

Wessie, with his string of ducklings following him, maybe wants something in a decent sized town or large village, with enough choice of 'things to do'. On his own or with less people, he might want something else.

Others are on the own or with a pillion, sometimes hating (apparently) even the notion of staying in a town, so they want something akin to a hermit's retreat in a forest or up a mountain.

Others want a garage to hide their motorbike in or some method of wheeling it beneath their window or into the communal dinning room, in case it rains or a pigeon sees it.

Others do not want to spend more than £20, all in full board including free complimentary drink and frites with ketchup.

Others want it to be chillin', with a live band and a group of bikermate likeminds from Stuttgart, all with mullets (cool lads and a right laugh) with a piss-up 'til dawn and sleep all the next day.

St Vith is OK, too.

If you go to Clervaux, there is a photography exhibition at the chateau (or at least there was in November). DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PAY TO SEE IT. Like watching paint dry...

Cochem indeed is great with plenty to see and do but the hotel prices can be quite steep for that reason. I stay quite regularly in a small town further up the River called Urzig. Small wine town. We stay at the Derkum wine hotel: link is https://weingut-derkum.de/. Rooms are OK, they are refurbishing many of them but the rates are fine, food great in the converted wine cellar. there are so many other options along the river.
Just an idea.....

I've stayed in Klotten (downstream) and Ernst (upstream). Smaller towns but with a god selection of hotels. I'd definitely recommend Ernst - there are a couple of large-ish hotels there, though we stayed in a smaller place - Pension Konschake.http://www.muehlenhotel-konschake.de/ Cheaper than staying in Cochem itself and you get a free return bus ticket to Cochem and back if people want to visit the shops and restaurants (and of course the castle). Five minutes on the bus or a gentle hour-and-a-half walk back along the river.

Back
Top Bottom