valve clearance check

mrjim130

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Long story, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to turn the back wheel of a DCT to check valve clearances. My dealer has said this is how the did it instead of using correct timing mark plug.
They didn't take the cam cover off either, but that's another story.

Well thats a first for me, never knew you could check the valve clearance without removing the cam cover. As far as I know, its a long job, due to all the stuff that needs removing, before you can even get to the valve cover.

Can’t give a positive answer, to the turning rear wheel for timing, but I didn't think you could get it in gear, without the engine running!

Turn the crankshaft with a 17mm socket on the bolt through the inspection plate in the middle of the left hand engine cover.

I droped the bike off about 9:00 and had a phone call at 14:00 to say it was ready to collect. I don't even thing it possible to get the valve clearances done in that time, let alone carry out a proper service as well. Just saying you@ve done the work again and again doesn't mean its true.

Sorry to hear that, something is not right there in my view. Putting them on the spot and asking for the valve clearance figures whist not giving them time to fabricate some may help focus them somewhat, even better ask for the old shims if they state some have been changed.

I was in the same situation and felt that they were charging for work not done, two hours all in.
Offered to pay for the the work less the charges for valve clearances at which they refused to return the bike. I politely pointed out that the allocated time as per Honda schedule had not been spent on the bike and this could be considered as fraud, if they wanted to get sniffy about it, I could easily take it legal and very public and to the biker cafe just outside.

I left it with them and returned the next day to watch the technician like a hawk doing the job, even took sandwiches and a flask plus a camping chair to make myself comfortable while doing so, but did not need to go to those lengths, they got the picture. Needless to say they are not keen to have my custom in the future, which suits me fine.

Good luck if you decide to challenge it.

100% why I now service all my own vehicles, and have done for 20 years

Sorry to hear that, something is not right there in my view. Putting them on the spot and asking for the valve clearance figures whist not giving them time to fabricate some may help focus them somewhat, even better ask for the old shims if they state some have been changed.

I was in the same situation and felt that they were charging for work not done, two hours all in.
Offered to pay for the the work less the charges for valve clearances at which they refused to return the bike. I politely pointed out that the allocated time as per Honda schedule had not been spent on the bike and this could be considered as fraud, if they wanted to get sniffy about it, I could easily take it legal and very public and to the biker cafe just outside.

I left it with them and returned the next day to watch the technician like a hawk doing the job, even took sandwiches and a flask plus a camping chair to make myself comfortable while doing so, but did not need to go to those lengths, they got the picture. Needless to say they are not keen to have my custom in the future, which suits me fine.

Good luck if you decide to challenge it.

So it was true that they hadn't done what they were insisting on charging you for?

I think it's madness bikes not having hydraulic tappets as standard. Needing to take so much apart so often is so expensive and the bullshit about bike engines not being suitable for self-adjusting valve clearances may be true with high-end sports bikes but the majority of others are very suitable. How often do you need to check and alter the valve clearances on modern M5's? No, never so saying they can't be used is complete nonsense.

So it was true that they hadn't done what they were insisting on charging you for?

I think it's madness bikes not having hydraulic tappets as standard.

It's down to cost, for and against

a twin cam will have 4 Hydraulic tappets per cam 4 inlet 4 exhaust, 8 in total

By design on a boxer, you will be able to at least work out which side if one goes bad , and you will only need to change one side

If you get a noisy hydraulic tappet, the convention is to change the lot at once, if the normal fixes dont work

it's quicker to change 4 at once, than 1 four times , trying to find a duff one

on an inline 4 that would be all 8 in one go. if its a multi valve bike the numbers & cost go's up

Re the design of bike engines to have self adjusting valves, if Harley can do it on their V-Twins why can't BMW ?

Just to clarify my situation, if you work it back the invoice was for 5 hours work, the service and valves at the hourly rate of £66. The work only took a little over 2 hours yet the hourly rate for labour did not ring true so alarm bells ring. If they had done the valves in the time, here was no attempt to explain how this was done & when I watched the technician do the job the next day it was several hours.

Back
Top Bottom