Avon trail riders on r1100gs

Judda

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello, Decided to put Avon’s trail riders av54, on my r1100gs rebuild project. I’ve done tyres before. Never my favourite job, the Tourance came off fine but I just cannot get the Avon to go on the rim. Loads of lube but the bead seems way too tight. Three of us working on it at one point and I can’t even get close. Tyre irons bending and I think I’m going to damage the tyre soon !!! Has anyone had experience of home fitting the trail riders ? If so how did you get on ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Id jus take them to a bike shop to fit them on their tyre machine.. less hassle

So this is a rebuild and I want to do everything myself. My wife and I plan to do some serious travelling in the not to distant future, being practised at roadside spannering seems like a good idea.

Don’t be a whimp!

Brake cleaner is your friend.:thumb2

Have some fun....:D

https://youtu.be/N45KcCsBYmc

giphy.gif

I spooned a set of Trailriders on myself and had no trouble. I found it much harder to get the old TKC70s off.

Edit: Having said that, I’ve found spooning on “dual-sport” tyres significantly harder than road-only tyres. There’s no such thing as too much lube.

I spooned a set of Trailriders on myself and had no trouble. I found it much harder to get the old TKC70s off.

Edit: Having said that, I’ve found spooning on “dual-sport” tyres significantly harder than road-only tyres. There’s no such thing as too much lube.

That was what did the trick for me in the end Loads of Lube !!!

Hello,

Why would you need to spoon them on the side of the road when travelling?
You probably know you don't have to take the tyre off to fix a puncture!?

Few useful techniques here for reseating a tyre in a pinch - a wee compressor might struggle with a Mitas E07 Dakar.

Gonna make up a connector tube as described in the video for my next trip - on the last one we came across a couple with an unseated rear tyre on their Triumph somewhere between Argentina and Chile. Nothing we could do for them, and the weather was appalling, but usually someone comes along with a pick up truck. Never travelled with tyre irons myself...

Few useful techniques here for reseating a tyre in a pinch - a wee compressor might struggle with a Mitas E07 Dakar.

Gonna make up a connector tube as described in the video for my next trip - on the last one we came across a couple with an unseated rear tyre on their Triumph somewhere between Argentina and Chile. Nothing we could do for them, and the weather was appalling, but usually someone comes along with a pick up truck. Never travelled with tyre irons myself...

That’s a cool idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom