1200 GSA (2012) upgrade to LC - is it worth it?

Pottsie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

As us boys do we get this idea and then it takes hold. I have one of the last 1200 GSA's before the LC came in, 20K (under) although I've but 18 of those on in the last 2 years since I bought it. Anyway I'm tempted by a 2017 ish GSA but it's a chunk more money. Is it worth it, is there a noticeable difference to warrant the spend?

I've even wondered of going to the GS similar age 2017 as you get a new bike for the money but I'm guessing by the time you add all the scaffolding etc. you've bought a GSA so no possibly the best move.

Any thoughts from those who have had non LC and LC.

Cheers

Pottsie

Yes definitely.
I've been through the whole batch from 1150 upwards and now on a 17 gsa rallye. Had a 15 plate gsa before this and this one I have now is much smoother and seems more sorted again.
Only you can make the decision and some will tell you older is better, but not sure I would go backwards now...

I’ve had several GS/GSA models Over the last 20 years.

Current bike is a 2010 GSA TC which I’ve owned for 9 years. I’ve had a decat and remap done along with bespoke suspension. The bike is fantastic.

I almost traded it in for a LC GSA, but on the way home changed my mind as the bike was great, but the difference wasn’t quite worth the change.

Last year I went to Spain and hired a new 1200 GS LC ........ Fantastic bike but not worth the change for me.

I took a ride on the 1250GS and decided I would be prepared to go for one of them instead.

1150 owner with a well sorted bike going for a 1200 LC... YES

A sorted 1200 TC going to a 1200 LC, not quite worth it for me.

Some time later I read an article in one of the big bike mags which confirmed my feelings. Not quite worth it to upgrade one model change.... but if upgrading 2 model types it is worth it.

Ah yes that old dilemma.

Like many others I have been through the GS series since the mid 80's from R100, 1100, 1150, 1200TC prior to my current LC, which as a bike to ride is the best to date, if a little heavy, but that is more down to me & how I manage it I guess.

I also had a late 2013 Twin Cam GSA then got the 2018 GSA as there was a corking deal, but kept the older bike as the part exchange value was not good. Whenever I rode the LC it was so much smoother and responsive than the TC, but the clonking gear box especially neutral to first gear was intolerable on the LC and I liked the dry clutch set up on the older bike. However, the TC was harder to ride smoothly and somehow not as nimble (not complaining though). On balance the TC was ridden less often & it was sold via this very forum. On reflection, I should have kept the TC as the LC great though it is, not worth nearly 3 times the price. The difference would have bought another bike to keep with the TC, but if you buy a used LC well , you may be able to make the change for a reasonable figure.

Comparing the bikes on merit though the LC wins if you can live with the electronic wizardry and potential for it to go wrong, however most feel this is a worthwhile risk in order to ride the better bike.

Agree with GSite. I went from a 2011 TC GSA to a 2017 GSA LC Triple Black and don't regret it one jot. For me, the LC is better in every regard other than comfort. Better performance, ride and handling in my opinion. Putting the bike into first there is a noticeable “clonk” but other than that, I prefer my LC to the TC. If you can justify the cost to yourself, its a no brainer IMHO.

Hi

As us boys do we get this idea and then it takes hold. I have one of the last 1200 GSA's before the LC came in, 20K (under) although I've but 18 of those on in the last 2 years since I bought it. Anyway I'm tempted by a 2017 ish GSA but it's a chunk more money. Is it worth it, is there a noticeable difference to warrant the spend?

I've even wondered of going to the GS similar age 2017 as you get a new bike for the money but I'm guessing by the time you add all the scaffolding etc. you've bought a GSA so no possibly the best move.

Any thoughts from those who have had non LC and LC.

Cheers

Pottsie

Why not go unto your local bmw dealer and ask for a test ride. You will be able to see first hand the improvements the LC has over the older model. A test ride is free!

Make the move. I had a 1200lc (my third) until the start of June and traded to a 1250gsa rallye and the difference is very noticeable and when I made the same move from a 10 plate air cooled to a 13 plate liquid cooled when they came out it was a similar revelation. I had five air cooled and three liquid cooled and couldn’t fault any of them but liquid cooled rascals were a nice improvement and highly recommended.

I bought and sold an LC very quickly as I disliked the lack of feel and soulless engine. I may have had a duff example but I had no regrets going back to a TC.
Just my opinion but I think the GSA TC is the best of the lot so crack on if you have an itch, perhaps a long demo ride on an LC will give you a clear winner. Good luck.

Went from a 2009 gsa to a 2015 lc gs.... very underwhelmed and moved on quickly. No character, maybe better performance but no soul.... my older version was so much better (imo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All very interesting thanks chaps and probably doesn't help me decide lol.

I have a hankering for a new bike (it chews away at you doesn't it) and there are things I'd change about the one I have like I don't particularly like the dry clutch but then as one or two have said the difference in price could get me another bike.

I went to a dealer this week with the other half and very quickly we moved the budget up a bit from the one we went to look at (2017) to a Rallye 2018 but have come away to think; all too easy to get swept along and based on your comments I can see + & - for both. I think the test ride may be the answer; I note someone said the LC not as comfortable, that alone could be a deal breaker for me as I can sit on this all day and night.

Thanks for the input.

They still have issue with paint corrosion to engine block and cylinder heads. I had an issue in 2016 with my 2014 RT and dealer swapped for new engine. Although I had to wrangle over the warranty to cover the replacement engine. Just bought a 6 month old 1250 GS LC in December on 19 plate and same thing is happening. Very frustrating and they are offering to swap engine again or take it back (bearing in mind I have spent £1700 on panniers , top box, engine guards etc). BMW say to agree something with dealer but it’s under manufacturers warranty. Suffice to say I have tried to express my displeasure Nat the situation but they aren’t really bothered. So after approx 10 BMW’s over the last few years I have decided to look elsewhere. I can’t live with a £17k bike that they can’t sort the paint on. It’s ok if it’s PCP (probably 75% of sales) buy not when I by with my hard earned cash. Just waiting for collection to be arranged

I went from 50000 mile GS1150 to a 800 mile 67 plate Rallye and loved it. My brother has just bought a brand new 1250 Adventure and wants me to get a go on it as he says the torque is superb. Holding off to see if they change the colours for 2021 model year but more than likely will get a new 1250 in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still pondering although think I'm going to make the change, test riding one today but interested in why you think the comfort isn't as good. The problem with asking is I'll probably focus on it and start nit picking but still interested in your thoughts. Cheers

Agree with GSite. I went from a 2011 TC GSA to a 2017 GSA LC Triple Black and don't regret it one jot. For me, the LC is better in every regard other than comfort. Better performance, ride and handling in my opinion. Putting the bike into first there is a noticeable “clonk” but other than that, I prefer my LC to the TC. If you can justify the cost to yourself, its a no brainer IMHO.

I'm still pondering although think I'm going to make the change, test riding one today but interested in why you think the comfort isn't as good. The problem with asking is I'll probably focus on it and start nit picking but still interested in your thoughts. Cheers

I have found the older bike seems to sit you more upright as stock, but on the LC, bar risers /set back of around 2 inches seems to more than compensate for this difference. However, I feel that your torso still seems more leant forward from the hips on the LC and the foot pegs are marginally higher and back, but again a set of adjustable pegs would sort this.

Any suspension change may also show a difference, but I found the stock set up on the older bike less pogo stick like than the auto setting on the LC. Not sure if it is just me, but I felt the bars at the grips are very slightly more turned in on the LC causing my wrists to bend sideways a bit more.

I did 400 miles days on both for a while after which I made the above changes, but this should not stop the new bike purchase, it is just a case of fettling it to get it right for you.

I think that the LC is a better bike in every way, and worth the upgrade. I have had an airhead, an 1100GS (which someone on here actually has now T960 AGT) and a couple of hex heads.

My caveat though .....would I own an LC without warranty, no way at all, far to many electronics and gizmos to go wrong. So when I stop using the bike for work, and it just becomes a touring tool, my ideal bike would then be my 1200 GSA LC Rallye with extended warranty, or "something" like 90th anniversary GSA Twin Cam, which imho was the best of breed of the Hex Heads.

Had a 2013 TC GSA upgraded to a 2015 GSA....8 months Later back on a TC and there I have stayed. Got AF XIED units on it giving a major improvement in smoothness, Ride ability and grunt. Tried to like the various versions of the LC but the TC is more comfortable, better built and more relaxing to ride with much more character....nobrainer for me...save your money and go hex.

My GS ownership has been 2004 GS1200 (for 10 years) > 1200GSA LC (new) < 1 year, 1200GS (new) 2 years, 1250GSA (new) < 1 year, 1250 GS 'Exclusive' (new) < 1 year..........and since a few weeks ago, I'm back to a oil/air cooled (2008) 'mark 2' GS 1200. Non ESA and pre TC. Basically, I prefer the soul / character of the earlier bikes. I even prefer the conventional speedo / rev counter! All that tech and looking at a ipad of a speedo doesn't do it for me. Having a brand new bike is lovely on multiple levels and it's great having a 3 year warranty, but given that you can have a really nice oil/air cooled GS for 1/3 of the cost (approx) of a new LC GS, it also makes a lot of financial sense. A new LC depreciates, but a nice oil/air cooled will probably hold it's value at this point. The one thing I miss is electronic cruise control. Mine has a manual wind up one on the throttle grip, but it's obviously not a patch on the real thing! Overall, I am happier back on the earlier bike. I regret selling my original 2004 GS to be honest. I should have bought a second bike instead of replacing it with a new GS in hindsight, then I would have had a GS for touring and maybe a sports bike for hooning around. Much better use of the money.

Having had a my2016 1200, a my2018 1200 and now a 1250 I'd say if you do decide on a change get the latest version you can afford

I went form an 06 hexhead to a 16 wethead

is it worth it..

yes & no

yes, in that that the new options improve some of the old hexhead foibles

The quickshift is interesting - fun going up the box, and an artform (which i havent mastered) coming down the box

The clutch is light as a feather, compared to the old version

The new dash is nice and modern, but designed by a child who worked on the maxim cram in everything, so if your under 25, you'll read everything

over 25 and your f*cked unless you wear bifocals

Suspension,

ESA is nice, but only 3 settings, ish dongles plugs modes and a degree in the vulcan nerve pinch are needed to set things up

Lights,

look nice, but about the same as the old bike

Gearbox,

Built out of bipolar components - some days buttery smooth, others its a crash box with the each cog at one end of the box and meshing somewhere in the middle

Pointless options

Steering damper?

Why, it makes it ponderous and slow at low speeds when you need to move the wheels quick for slow speed balance

Bars?

VFR 800 it isnt,

Why put the bars low and forward, all the weight is on your wrists, so you get killed by the vibes

Screen
Lets put a sports screen on an adventure bike

marketing men at there finest lol

The quickest way to sum it up

Hexhead - Labrador, old, well known, will do as it's told, no frills, but will get you there

Wethead - Springer spaniel, Young , eager everything done at 110%, all the time. no finesse, frigid bitch

Back
Top Bottom