Tax and MOT

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With the classic/vintage thing. When does a bike become Tax and MOT exempt?

Is it before a certain date, or is it a rolling age thing that once a bike becomes old enough it falls out of the payment bracket?

40 years rolling. Historic vehicle needs to be applied for. Evidence is needed of age, which could already be present on your V5c.

40 years rolling. Historic vehicle needs to be applied for. Evidence is needed of age, which could already be present on your V5c.
When you first change to historic status you have to do it at a post office I believe, and to claim MOT exempt you fill in a form that declares it’s not been substantially modified. The definition of ‘modified’ is on the DVLA website. Also if declared manufactured after April of the 40th year you have to wait until the next year. It’s all to do with when the exemption was announced in the budget.

Cheers chaps. It was manufactured in 1987, but not registered until 1988. A few years to go yet! :thumby:

When you first change to historic status you have to do it at a post office I believe, and to claim MOT exempt you fill in a form that declares it’s not been substantially modified.

I did my old Guzzi by sending the logbook off.
Plus it was MOT'd at the time, so when the old mot ran out it was a simple online procedure to exempt it from MOT's.

I think it's more convoluted if the vehicle doesn't have a current mot.

I think it's more convoluted if the vehicle doesn't have a current mot.

I’ll let you know - just sent mine off for the Guzzi, no MoT and it’s on SORN. Let’s see what happens eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's actually from the April of the year after the machine turns 40 years of age.
That's when you can change it to Historic Vehicle.
You have to fill in an additional statement that the vehicle is not significantly modified for full exemption from MOT and tax (details of the requirements for this are on said form and on the DVLA website).....this is done at a
Post Office that does vehicle tax.
The last bike that I got exempted had the whole matter done in moments at the Post Office without me having to send any forms away.

Once registered as a Historic Vehicle, a black and silver number plate can be fitted.

I’ll let you know - just sent mine off for the Guzzi, no MoT and it’s on SORN. Let’s see what happens eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No issue at all....the last one I did (mentioned above) was on a SORN with no tax or MOT.

It's actually from the April of the year after the machine turns 40 years of age.
That's when you can change it to Historic Vehicle.
You have to fill in an additional statement that the vehicle is not significantly modified for full exemption from MOT and tax (details of the requirements for this are on said form and on the DVLA website).....this is done at a
Post Office that does vehicle tax.
The last bike that I got exempted had the whole matter done in moments at the Post Office without me having to send any forms away.

Once registered as a Historic Vehicle, a black and silver number plate can be fitted.

Tarka I have a different understanding of the number plate rules. Black and silver only applies up to 1972. It is not connected to historic status but the change in the UK licensing laws at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tarka I have a different understanding of the number plate rules. Black and silver only applies up to 1972. It is not connected to historic status but the change in the UK licensing laws at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been through this with someone else.

Forget the old regulations.

The fact is that once registered as a Historic Vehicle, a black/silver number plate can be legally fitted.
Check the up to date DVLA regs.
Also borne out by the fact that I've got several Historic Vehicle registered bikes with fully legal black/silver plates supplied by official plate makers who required evidence of the V5C before making the plates.

Fact....registered Historic Vehicle...legal black/silver plate.

I've been through this with someone else.

Forget the old regulations.

The fact is that once registered as a Historic Vehicle, a black/silver number plate can be legally fitted.
Check the up to date DVLA regs.
Also borne out by the fact that I've got several Historic Vehicle registered bikes with fully legal black/silver plates supplied by official plate makers who required evidence of the V5C before making the plates.

Fact....registered Historic Vehicle...legal black/silver plate.

Excellent news all round, except for the news of the wait for another 6 years before I can stop dodging the NPR cameras!

Excellent news all round, except for the news of the wait for another 6 years before I can stop dodging the NPR cameras!

I don't understand that.
What do you mean about the cameras?

once registered as a Historic Vehicle, a black/silver number plate can be legally fitted.

Well, you learn something every day.... I thought black/silver eligibility was a fixed date.. checked on the DVLA and sure enough, you're correct .:thumby:

Quote from INF104 March 2020:

"Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973:

Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2020 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• have applied to DVLA
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class
The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April."

So not just black and silver then. Phew.

I don't understand that.
What do you mean about the cameras?

You don't use your proper number, do you? I will get done for no tax if I get caught... back lanes don't have cameras. Fuel is collected in cans from Tesco, or I fill up at small, out of the way garages..... saves me £93 a year.

Back
Top Bottom