What do you carry ?

I'd rather fix a puncture in 10 minutes or so than wait around to be recovered and probably a new tyre fitted some hours later.

Most of my bikes run on inner tubes so it’s certainly not a 10 minute job and even though I can remove tyres and get them back on again it’s not something I do unless I’m stuck on a byway miles from the road and even then it’s unlikely to happen because they’ve got slime in them.

I used to carry all sorts of stuff, but found it was other people who couldn't be bothered to carry anything who always used my gear. Now I carry nothing other than my RAC membership card and don't have a care in the world.

aye but the rac don't work overtime and the jobs get passed on to others like my son's work so just join green flag.

There's easier ways of doing it though.

The toolkit on my bike includes a tyre plugging kit, and CO2 canisters, so this lot isn't necessary:

Electric air pump
Dynaplug
Pressure gauge
Tyre weld All Essential if not on bike

Again, there's a version of this under my seat:

Gerber multi tool with torx bits(much better than leatherman) Handy but expensive and awkward to use so a dedicated small set is better

Also under the seat are Zip ties Yep

I've fitted a Side stand puck Dont like the look so under seat

I've never needed Duck tape Rape tape is an essential

small medi kit - I've got some plasters somewhere Medi kit as per needs of group size

Large black bin liner - why? Take rubbish back , leaking bag etc , better tha getting soggy cloths

1" wide webbing strap with buckle - why? Tow rope , repair strap

water - I wear a Camelbak if it's hot Camelback gets hot both wearing and in the sun , water cooler in bag .

a couple of flap jacks - I'm never more than about half an hour away from food in the UK. In France, I make sure there's something also in the backpack to snack on .. some of us are greedy

My point is, you don't need loads of luggage to carry all this stuff, which I'm sure is why some people like to have panniers fitted all the time. Plan properly, and most of this can go under the seat, or in a small tail bag, not effecting the weight/ handling of the bike.

Carry atll the above and all clothes in a 35 ltr roll bac plus the tool box on the frame , plus the handle bar bag.

I used to carry all sorts of stuff, but found it was other people who couldn't be bothered to carry anything who always used my gear. Now I carry nothing other than my RAC membership card and don't have a care in the world.

Fine if you want to wait on the road side , sharing is caring. I will wave to you as i ride past with all my preparation as you seem happy to use the recovery , lets hope its not on a remote hill / mountain side with no reception on your phone , nice walk.. Fine if in the uk , on your own.
Good luck to you on your decision :thumb:thumb

Today I am out and carrying the comprehensive under seat BMW tool kit

Wet wipes or toilet paper.Very important if you need to go in the middle of nowhere as a lump of grass doesn't cut it as i found to my cost :D..Nothing worse than walking round with the mrs trying to find either smelling of shite.

Here and now, in my walking jacket and my cycling pack there are small plastic bags containing a dumps worth of bog paper.

Seriously, I blame Donington Park. Meeting after meeting with not a scrap of paper in THEM bogs.....:eek:

The water I carry servers 2 purposes, No 1 obviously to drink and stay hydrated, No 2 is to cool me down, as I pour it down the inside of my mesh jacket, front and back. When the temperatures are mid 30s to lower to mid 40s you will be understand and appreciate the benefits of doing it. Don’t forget that your blood temperature is 38c. With the air flowing through the mesh jacket it’s evaporating the water and cooling you down. You will need to repeat about every 20/30 minutes or so.

Try it, it really works.......:thumb

There's easier ways of doing it though.

The toolkit on my bike includes a tyre plugging kit, and CO2 canisters, so this lot isn't necessary: Won't get you far if you have a bad punture on the way to the ferry home that even with loads of plugs and tyre weld in it still needs a couple of pump ups to get to the port.

Electric air pump
Dynaplug
Pressure gauge
Tyre weld

Again, there's a version of this under my seat:

Gerber multi tool with torx bits(much better than leatherman)

Also under the seat are Zip ties

I've fitted a Side stand puck

I've never needed Duck tape for repairs to kit (see below)

small medi kit - I've got some plasters somewhere Won't stop your face from swelling up after a fascial bee sting, lucky I carry antihistamine

Large black bin liner - why? Leaky luggage or holding over the top of the bloke fixing a bad puncture in monsoon conditions.

1" wide webbing strap with buckle - why? snapped luggage strap, which also caused the bag to leak (see above)

water - I wear a Camelbak if it's hot. Not in the south of Spain you don't.

a couple of flap jacks - I'm never more than about half an hour away from food in the UK. In France, I make sure there's something also in the backpack to snack on. One of our regulars has crohns disease, he got caught out once through an unexpected delay on a sunday rural in france and was grateful for them.

My point is, you don't need loads of luggage to carry all this stuff, which I'm sure is why some people like to have panniers fitted all the time. Plan properly, and most of this can go under the seat, or in a small tail bag, not effecting the weight/ handling of the bike.
I don't carry loads of stuff, it all fits in a tank bag with rain gloves, tissues etc. and it's great for the passport or toll tickets you want to keep to hand.

And finally, I like tank bags, had them on every bike for the last 30 years.

Well its the old situation , your group is only as strong as the weakest link , so if you are prepared to cover all issues of your group is covered and the trip will be without those annoying incidents of " I never thought of that ", so now we are stuck on the roadside , late hotel and no food.
I was once in that situation on a trip and never again , I was new to the travelling and learn a lot from not being prepared.
Even on the green lanes i have all bits to fit and repair all bikes in our group as I feel if you lead a group they are your responsibilty and if you end up with double ups on kit , fine , you may find a traveller in a bad situation and will be able to help and get them back on their way.
I have fixed a few stranded bikes on the mountain passes as they have not pre paired , so yes Butler it is.

Quite agree, although on my last group ride due to most places still being shut, I also took two flasks of hot water, two pints of milk in a cool bag, 6 mugs, instant coffee, sugar and spoons. OK on paper it makes me look a dick, but everybody had a great ride out and a socially distant brew half way round the route.

When the cafes were shut, I took my alpkit gas burner, two mugs etc for a brew.

Also take it with me in the car when going out for the day.

Regarding tools, co2 canisters, puncture kit, cable ties, and a multi tool.

I also ensure the I store 20 pounds in local currency under the seat. Lost my wallet in Germany when on the bike once...
It saved my bacon by allowing me to buy 15 euros of fuel and sandwhich until I hot to my hotel.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Quite agree, although on my last group ride due to most places still being shut, I also took two flasks of hot water, two pints of milk in a cool bag, 6 mugs, instant coffee, sugar and spoons. OK on paper it makes me look a dick, but everybody had a great ride out and a socially distant brew half way round the route.

What about the biscuits 🍪

To those saying just breakdown cover and a credit card, my last puncture was a 9 hour recovery.
There was no phone signal and it took a hours walking to get to one then a hour back to the bike to wait, a few hours later a hours walk to the phone again to ring them, they couldn't find me.
Very long day.

I had a puncture kit and 4 co2 bottles, fixed it, pumped it up, it went down after a mile, fixed it again, last 2 co2 to inflate, it went down again.

I now have an electric pump plus a small push bike pump just in case.

I suppose it’s just that I spent so many years riding sports bikes where there was nowhere to carry much more than phone and smokes that I learned to stop worrying and get on with it.

If I’m away on holiday I take more but I’m not putting a pile of junk in a rucksack and carrying it around on my back if I’m out for a 1hr spin on a bike. Sod that, I’ll put a disc lock on it and use my phone to tell me where the nearest pub or cafe is :beerjug:

Self sufficient when nothing was open.

Attachments

• 20200624_062409.jpg
    20200624_062409.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 226
I can't see the tea-cosy's for your salt / pepper pots.... thereby ensuring absolutely correct temperature of spices and adding to the ambience of the whole the picnic experience. Tut Tut standards are beginning to slip.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To those saying just breakdown cover and a credit card, my last puncture was a 9 hour recovery.
There was no phone signal and it took a hours walking to get to one then a hour back to the bike to wait, a few hours later a hours walk to the phone again to ring them, they couldn't find me.
Very long day.

I had a puncture kit and 4 co2 bottles, fixed it, pumped it up, it went down after a mile, fixed it again, last 2 co2 to inflate, it went down again.

I now have an electric pump plus a small push bike pump just in case.

You should have ridden faster once you inflated the tyres. ;)

Back
Top Bottom