When do you change tyres?

Tricuspid

Reaction score
My previously-enjoyed 1250GS came with Anakee Adventures, it had just under 4000 miles when I got it, and I’ve put another 1200 on it this year. Front tyre is down to about 3mm, rear maybe 5mm, I was surprised because it looked more, maybe the wide tread pattern gives a different perspective, but the ruler doesn’t lie. At work the rule is tyres get changed at 3mm, so I’m thinking it’s probably time. Wondering what the consensus is?

As an aside, if anyone knows what the tread depth on a new set of Anakee Adventures is I would be interested to know. Have had a sniff around the internet but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Mandp have a deal on at the mo. Not sure what they are but at £99 a pair.... at the stated thread depth it’s time to start looking don’t panic. I’d buy them now and fit later. JJH

I normally change around 3mm, there are often beginning to square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just worn my Karoo Street down to 2mm on the rear, and in the last few hundred miles it has become very squared off to the point that handling is obviously affected. When cornering now it's kind of won't lean, won't lean, won't lean, tip over the edge and lean too far, bring it back it bit, lean a bit more, repeat. Perfect for riding around hexagons but not most corners.

When cornering now it's kind of won't lean, won't lean, won't lean, tip over the edge and lean too far, bring it back it bit, lean a bit more, repeat. Perfect for riding around hexagons but not most corners.

Brilliant :beerjug:

I change mine at 2 mm or just before a tour.

The Anakees the 1250 GSA came with have now done 6500 ish miles, hoping they might last till late July maybe August as we are (Hopefully) off to Picos in September.

I normally change my tyres once a year and get about 10K miles out of them. Yes they are square and tyre fitter moans at me but I am a commuter and want to get as much use out of them as possible. Tread is still legal and normally get them changed before the heavy rains start. I ride an F800GSA.

Thanks all, I've only had the bike with these tyres, and I didn't get it new so it's hard to judge how squared off it feels. I've got a couple of trips planned in the next month so I think I will change them before that, I don't do off-road so I was intending to change for a more road biased tyre anyway.

Back
Top Bottom