rear brake light switch

weetob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With a couple of days to go before my MOT I noticed that my rear brake light is not operating. It does work on the front brake so I suspect it is the rear brake switch.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket switch that might fit. I couldn't see a new one for sale but an internet search threw up some generic switches.
https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.u...iScjglY3OcvsG4YFh7Mqdus_Wi-RsUGBoCJkcQAvD_BwE

Of course the screws holding the rear cylinder plate on are seized. Going to try to slot the heads to get the screws out and plate off. I pulled back the switch wiring sleeve but the switch looks to be a sealed unit.

I lengthened the push rod up to the cylinder, this made no difference.

Thanks

With a couple of days to go before my MOT I noticed that my rear brake light is not operating. It does work on the front brake so I suspect it is the rear brake switch.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket switch that might fit. I couldn't see a new one for sale but an internet search threw up some generic switches.
https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.u...iScjglY3OcvsG4YFh7Mqdus_Wi-RsUGBoCJkcQAvD_BwE

Of course the screws holding the rear cylinder plate on are seized. Going to try to slot the heads to get the screws out and plate off. I pulled back the switch wiring sleeve but the switch looks to be a sealed unit.

I lengthened the push rod up to the cylinder, this made no difference.

Thanks

It's a small micro switch, probably gunged up. Get some WD40 on it and keep operating it until you can hear the almost inaudible 'click' .... then it's working.

Don't lengthen the pushrod ... you must have some slack between it and the rear brake master cylinder piston, so that the piston can return to its free state and be fully returned! If you get my drift ;)

.... otherwise the piston will keep pressure in the line and the pads may well be binding on the disc :blast

Hope this helps ....

:beerjug:

It's a small micro switch, probably gunged up. Get some WD40 on it and keep operating it until you can hear the almost inaudible 'click' .... then it's working.

Don't lengthen the pushrod ... you must have some slack between it and the rear brake master cylinder piston, so that the piston can return to its free state and be fully returned! If you get my drift ;)

.... otherwise the piston will keep pressure in the line and the pads may well be binding on the disc :blast

Hope this helps ....

:beerjug:

Micky

The rear switch is not a microswitch its a pressure switch which operates when it senses pressure in the rear master cylinder

The BMW part number is 61 31 7 708 732 and the same switch is used on the XChallenge, XCountry and XMoto

There is a secondhand one for sale on eBay for £10 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G650...ke:BMW&hash=item2cfa7700d5:g:C0oAAOSwE-xbI5mu

Thanks for replies. If I press the rear brake I assume I would get continuity between the pressure switch terminals. I'll check this tonight, trace the wiring and look at that replacement switch.

Friday's MOT will be postponed, I always book it as early as possible for this sort of scenario,

Thanks for replies. If I press the rear brake I assume I would get continuity between the pressure switch terminals. I'll check this tonight, trace the wiring and look at that replacement switch.

Friday's MOT will be postponed, I always book it as early as possible for this sort of scenario,

Yes - you should get continuity when you operate the brake pedal - see extract from wiring diagram below

If you want a copy of the wiring diagrams message me with your email address and I will send them to you

Back
Top Bottom