Mpg

I really do not believe you are getting anywhere near an actual 64mpg. I owned the same model and same year bike and even riding it as gently as possible in a high gear on a flat road with no panniers or headwind (and also the 2 previous 1200GSAs I’ve had) - I’ve never seen more than about 54mpg. The moment speeds increase, you put panniers on or you hit traffic you’re looking at high 40s at best. It’s just not that efficient as an engine, even running as lean as it does.

As i said earlier my average is 53mpg, touring two up fully loaded I don't start looking for fuel before 200mls, If I ran till empty I would get 250mls from a tank full.

My 2018GSA triple over the 2yrs I had it managed on average 59.62mpg. That was covering 21,776 miles.

My 2018GSA triple over the 2yrs I had it managed on average 59.62mpg. That was covering 21,776 miles.

How many of these miles did you have to push it to get to these figures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gs , Full tank( up to lip) to empty tank ( run out of petrol) 245 miles mixed riding . Had my spare can of petrol with me. 180miles till light come on, another 40 miles till 0 miles showed on display and after 0 miles till empty tank showed i still managed to do another 25 miles till my engine died..:D Top up with 5 liters and at petrol station managed to put another 16. Guess i could do a little bit more but i was doing allot of back lane riding after 0 miles was showed on display(just to rest assured i won`t run out of petrol on main road).

I really do not believe you are getting anywhere near an actual 64mpg. I owned the same model and same year bike and even riding it as gently as possible in a high gear on a flat road with no panniers or headwind (and also the 2 previous 1200GSAs I’ve had) - I’ve never seen more than about 54mpg. The moment speeds increase, you put panniers on or you hit traffic you’re looking at high 40s at best. It’s just not that efficient as an engine, even running as lean as it does.
Agreed 100%. And sustained fast motorway will drop it to high 30s

My 2019 1250 GS does an average of 58.8mpg riding mostly 2 up with top box not riding particularly slow. My last 2016 GS did about 53mpg.

+1. I generally do 250+ miles a week on a '15 GSA with panniers+top box to hold work&hotel stuff with about 1/3 A road and the rest mway/dual carriageway. I get around 45mpg but a decent headwind can knock quite a dent in that.

1250 GS now with over 6,000 miles and the fuel consumption is fantastic and better than my 2018 1200GS. Managed 264 miles on a tank returning 65.6 mpg had 14 miles left in tank after filling up and checking back litres to fill confirmed correct mpg.
I was riding 2 up with top box not going over the speed limit so well impressed, overall a nice easy ride 😃

Never understood what it means in the user manual by "usable fuel", anyone know?

Never understood what it means in the user manual by "usable fuel", anyone know?
At the bottom of the tank there are areas where the fuel can’t be drawn out by the pump. This fuel is called unusable - although it’s in the tank, it can’t be used to run the engine.

I dont have luggage fitted or a pillion passenger.
My usual run is between 100 - 175 miles.
I haven't had the bike long but since I have owned it I have averaged over 60 (Sixty) mpg!
My bike is a 2015 R1200GS TE with 16,700 miles on it.

My previous bike was a Suzuki GSX1400 and I used to average 56mpg on that. One the forum for that bike they couldn't believe my figures, but I regularly proved it.

For the doubters amongst you..
Before a run out I brim my tank..Literally fill right to the brim!
My last trip out with 2 mates was 187 miles, but I re brimmed the tank after 168 miles with 12.59 litres.
12.59 litres = 2.75 gallons
168 miles divided by 2.75 = 61mpg

I dont ride at 30mph everywhere. We prefer fast A roads to motorways..
I am mechanically sympathetic and do not screw my bikes everywhere I go.

Good mpg is possible if your riding style allows it, as I have proved on many different bikes.
Hope this helps.

S

How many of you have taken the tank filler cap off and removed the longer plastic part of the filler to make it quicker to fill the tank as there is less air. Also drilled holes in the top part to make it easier for the air to get out as you fill.

How many of you have taken the tank filler cap off and removed the longer plastic part of the filler to make it quicker to fill the tank as there is less air. Also drilled holes in the top part to make it easier for the air to get out as you fill.

Yup. Drilled a hole in the plastic tube on the upward side when on the side stand.

I also have done that same mod.
Did it to the Suzuki I owned as well.
I only brim the tank when I am about to go for a ride. I don’t brim it and then leave it parked. Warm sun could make the fuel expand and leak out.
S.

2018 GSA RALLYE, I do a one stop 350 mile commute every 3 weeks and I’m getting 44mpg doing 90 percent motorway at 85mph on cruise for the majority. I’m shocked at the fuel economy of the the LC compared to my old 04 plated 1150 GSA. I thought they’d be more economical but not so. I’m still wondering if a 1250 GSA will get better results or should I avoid the inevitable ear ache from the non biker and stick with what I’ve got??

2018 GSA RALLYE, I do a one stop 350 mile commute every 3 weeks and I’m getting 44mpg doing 90 percent motorway at 85mph on cruise for the majority. I’m shocked at the fuel economy of the the LC compared to my old 04 plated 1150 GSA. I thought they’d be more economical but not so. I’m still wondering if a 1250 GSA will get better results or should I avoid the inevitable ear ache from the non biker and stick with what I’ve got??

Mine is currently at 50.4mpg indicated on the dash and that's mainly around town with a few 20 mile hilly dual carriageway stints thrown in too. I say 'hilly' because my little Fiesta that's supposed to get something like 55mpg only gets high 30's / low 40's as a result of some of the climbs, so definitely has an effect on my mpg.

Once you hit 80mph and up the GS drinks fuel and the GSA is worse, an 80mph wind on a barn door is a lot of pressure. I don't do m'ways and get 54mpg.

Back
Top Bottom