Tell me a hotel near Calais

I think of dirt cheap Hotels as I do dirt cheap pubs....

...They draw in all the undesirables and for for a few quid more I can stay in a reasonably priced hotel nearby, safe in the knowledge the scuzz will all be in the cheap place.

This is right up your street, and is also close to St Omer for those with a bigger budget https://najeti-hotel-chateau-tilque...6rbcNmqOAKAOFKBhJ0u7UnvAg5HGVnaIaAm0fEALw_wcB

I’ve stayed here before, you’d love it. :thumb

I've stayed there too. Lovely hotel with an excellent restaurant. A drink on the terrace in the evening is lovely too. Although last time I stayed there it pissed it down all the way from my house to the tunnel, then from Calais to Tilques. We dripped water all over their carpets but they were fine about it and dried all our gear in the laundry room overnight.

I've stayed there too. Lovely hotel with an excellent restaurant. A drink on the terrace in the evening is lovely too. Although last time I stayed there it pissed it down all the way from my house to the tunnel, then from Calais to Tilques. We dripped water all over their carpets but they were fine about it and dried all our gear in the laundry room overnight.

I played the piano at a Japanese wedding there last time we went. It was hilarious. :D

Doing something similar in a couple of weeks but going to stay at the Metropole in Boulogne again .
It’s not as cheap as an ibis but in middle of town, old charm but newly renovated and has secure garage parking a short walk away . Shame I’ve forgotten the garage code so might have to pay again !

fd00be1fe044dabdc83643a0d64ad209.jpg

Stayed there a couple of times, nice hotel, and a few memorable, for the right reasons, meals in Chez Jules. Happy memories

That’s the biker mates dream right there. :thumb

For a first/last night stopover, it's ideal, so why mock it?
All that's needed is a bed, bog and shower...and a bit of brekky before the off, so why pay more or go into a town/city for some poncy arsed place?

EUROTUNNEL?

All that's needed is a bed, bog and shower...and a bit of brekky before the off, so why pay more or go into a town/city for some poncy arsed place?

Depends on your outlook I suppose.And we all know what that is.
Some people may just want to spend their last night before returning to the UK in a nice hotel and have a nice meal and a few beers,glass or two of wine.
Others may well be happy to be in the cheapest , nondescript box possible in the middle of an industrial estate to save a few € and go get a take away.
Depends how you value your free time.We can’t all have our cake and eat it :)

Great, thanks for the heads up guys. anyone know of a hotel / B&B with secure bike parking near Calais?

You are very lucky to have been indulged so far, only an hour ago it was advice on getting on the Eurotunnel train.
Next it will be anyone recommend me a great twisty road in France type question

I didn’t think you had a passport?

I have used this place and its very nice with a large garage for your bikes, nice sea food restaurant attached worth eating in, never seen any immigrants near to it.

https://www.hotel-lescale.com/en/

Looks a bit too individual and French . What’s the point staying there ? All you need is a bog and a bed ! :)

I stayed here a good few years ago. Convenient, I parked the bike right under my room window, late (2am) check-in, friendly, decent breakfast...

Seems to be still getting good reviews :thumb

LINKY

Looks a bit too individual and French . What’s the point staying there ? All you need is a bog and a bed ! :)

Why go to France if you want it like England? I though the point of a break was to enjoy the local culture and treat yourself.

Why go to France if you want it like England? I though the point of a break was to enjoy the local culture and treat yourself.

Exactly. But some on here want to do it as cheap as possible and stay in a shitty Ibis. :blast

Exactly. But some on here want to do it as cheap as possible and stay in a shitty Ibis. :blast

part of the reason yes - I'm an impoverished civil servant so if you bastards would like to pay some more tax so my wages can increase, that would be nice. Oh, and stop electing a Tory government.

then there is the practical thing of needing to book 6 rooms for a single night when a lot of places won't accept this, especially on a weekend when the 2 night rule applies. They feel there is a risk some of those 6 rooms might miss out on a 2 or 3 night booking. I try to use independent hotels or those in loose associations like Logis but it is not always possible with a group.

as it is, for the trip in September, there will be 8 of us in 6 rooms. Not one Ibis is being used. It took a lot of searching to find places with the right combination of rooms but we will have a
city centre hotel in Ypres for 1 night; 3 nights in a hotel overlooking the Mosel in Trier and 3 nights in a hotel next door to the castle in Wiltz, Luxembourg.

I’ve been riding around France for over 20 years since I moved here

I switched to using chambre d’hôtes after a year or so because traditional private 3 & 4 star hotels were very often shit holes

For the same reason I sometimes use chain hotels like the Mercure in Grenoble or the Ibis in the center of Annecy

https://all.accor.com/hotel/0538/in...ps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

Things have improved nowadays with AirBnB, Booking.com and TripAdvisor etc so hotels have to keep their standards up

part of the reason yes - I'm an impoverished civil servant so if you bastards would like to pay some more tax so my wages can increase, that would be nice. Oh, and stop electing a Tory government.

then there is the practical thing of needing to book 6 rooms for a single night when a lot of places won't accept this, especially on a weekend when the 2 night rule applies. They feel there is a risk some of those 6 rooms might miss out on a 2 or 3 night booking. I try to use independent hotels or those in loose associations like Logis but it is not always possible with a group.

as it is, for the trip in September, there will be 8 of us in 6 rooms. Not one Ibis is being used. It took a lot of searching to find places with the right combination of rooms but we will have a
city centre hotel in Ypres for 1 night; 3 nights in a hotel overlooking the Mosel in Trier and 3 nights in a hotel next door to the castle in Wiltz, Luxembourg.

Just finished sorting out a trip in September, only 3 of us but when you're looking for 6 to 8 people I imagine hotels can really be a pain, especially individual rooms and trying to get close to a walk into town. We kick off in Ypres too on the 6th then making our way slowly to Zell am See via the Black Forest

Back
Top Bottom