Tell me a hotel near Calais

Have a search about on the travel threads Steve but the Ibis in St. Omer is pretty simple and painless :thumb

Beats me why anybody would want to stay in a soulless shite Ibis Budget in Calais. Time your crossing to travel a bit further into France .
Or does it have the draw of Le Kebab Shop next door ? :)

it's not in Calais and a short walk to the "Three Cellars" restaurant where they cook cow over a fire as you watch - St Omer is a convenient place to assemble when people are travelling from various parts of the UK. Beats assembling on the Kent side of the tunnel. The hotel is functional and we do not have the same supercilious trait that you are so keen to demonstrate at every opportunity.

it's not in Calais and a short walk to the "Three Cellars" restaurant where they cook cow over a fire as you watch - St Omer is a convenient place to assemble when people are travelling from various parts of the UK. Beats assembling on the Kent side of the tunnel. The hotel is functional and we do not have the same supercilious trait that you are so keen to demonstrate at every opportunity.

My bad !

What more do you need than a functional hotel and steak and FRITZ !!! :)

the blue Ibis just out of the town centre is a lot cheaper and has a more secure car park https://all.accor.com/hotel/5919/index.en.shtml

A very good tip.

The budget Ibis is much better value than the Ibis in St Omer town. The car park is much better than the cramped arrangements of the Ibis in the town centre. Leave an hour earlier than you might have done, skipping breakfast and stop after say an hour and pick up a croissant and coffee then.

EUROTUNNEL?

Great, thanks for the heads up guys. anyone know of a hotel / B&B with secure bike parking near Calais?

Bods are suggesting St Omer, which is a short hop, straight down the motorway. It's a good suggestion but maybe fails the common sense test if your direction of travel the next day is not broadly southwards. If you intend to travel to say westwards, towards perhaps Normandy, then staying overnight in St Omer might not make such great sense. Somewhere in or around Boulogne would then be better perhaps? Here’s a picture to show what I mean:

18949ec9e4253a9c1c270bde05662e1f.plist

Either way, there is lots of choice. But they can get booked-up. Whether, in light of a global pandemic, this will be the case in 2020, I have no idea but a quick reservation before you leave (use something like Booking.com) may save you buggering about having 'winged it', bikermate style.

To answer your question properly, let bods know where you intend to go the next day, please.

Beats me why anybody would want to stay in a soulless shite Ibis Budget in Calais. Time your crossing to travel a bit further into France .

The only reason we do it is that it means we don’t need to use any extra holidays the day we leave but catching the 9pm train barely gets you checked in at your hotel before 11pm local time.

Thanks again guys. I am looking at stopping over in France on the return as i will have a 300 mile plus run when i get back into the UK so thought a stop over in France would be a good idea???

EUROTUNNEL?

The only reason we do it is that it means we don’t need to use any extra holidays the day we leave but catching the 9pm train barely gets you checked in at your hotel before 11pm local time.

Makes perfect sense !
Doing something similar in a couple of weeks but going to stay at the Metropole in Boulogne again .
It’s not as cheap as an ibis but in middle of town, old charm but newly renovated and has secure garage parking a short walk away . Shame I’ve forgotten the garage code so might have to pay again !

fd00be1fe044dabdc83643a0d64ad209.jpg

Exactly. We’ve stayed here before https://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/logis-hotel-la-sapiniere-517

It’s out of town, has loads of parking, a fantastic restaurant and a sauna. Quite why anyone would stay at an Ibis shite hole over this is beyond me.

Makes perfect sense !
Doing something similar in a couple of weeks but going to stay at the Metropole in Boulogne again .
It’s not as cheap as an ibis but in middle of town, old charm but newly renovated and has secure garage parking a short walk away . Shame I’ve forgotten the garage code so might have to pay again !

This is right up your street, and is also close to St Omer for those with a bigger budget https://najeti-hotel-chateau-tilque...6rbcNmqOAKAOFKBhJ0u7UnvAg5HGVnaIaAm0fEALw_wcB

I’ve stayed here before, you’d love it. :thumb

Maybe not everyone is as adept at planning foreign jaunts as you... :D

Oh, there’s nothing wrong with the planning, my friend, it’s just the getting to the destination that was the issue. :D

Thanks again guys. I am looking at stopping over in France on the return as i will have a 300 mile plus run when i get back into the UK so thought a stop over in France would be a good idea???

Now that is a good plan. Like going over to France if possible the night before, staying a shortish hop from Calais the night before the return to the UK and catching a train the next morning (when it is much less busy) makes sense. Especially if a bod has a long additional journey to make in the UK on top.

As to where to stay? That will maybe depend on which direction you are arriving from, I guess? See post #25.

Not least, what by way of a hotel you might expect for your one night stay? As you can see, tastes and budgets vary greatly.

I’d go for a hotel a distance out of Calais - less migrants milling around.

Now that is a good plan. Like going over to France if possible the night before, staying a shortish hop from Calais the night before the return to the UK and catching a train the next morning (when it is much less busy) makes sense. Especially if a bod has a long additional journey to make in the UK on top.

As to where to stay? That will maybe depend on which direction you are arriving from, I guess? Not least what by way of a hotel you might expect for your one night stay. As you can see, tastes and budgets vary greatly.

See post #25.

Now this is where I’d do the opposite and cross over into the UK in the evening then stop a few miles up the road. The way I see it is that I don’t like early starts so removing the check in time and crossing time scores me a minimum of 1hr even after allowing for the time difference and I can make that time difference work in my favour the evening before by having an extra hour to be able to get food and drink.

EUROTUNNEL?

This is right up your street, and is also close to St Omer for those with a bigger budget https://najeti-hotel-chateau-tilque...6rbcNmqOAKAOFKBhJ0u7UnvAg5HGVnaIaAm0fEALw_wcB

I’ve stayed here before, you’d love it. :thumb

Looks nice.
But clicking on the link came up with this , which is surely the holy grail for the discerning GSser, and perfectly matched to his steed :

9d2872adeb0c486fcc06073fde0f1647.jpg

Arques is just down the road from Calais and they have a chain all over France so a readily made holiday for you and your beloved......What could be more perfect ? A week away for less than £175 !! And who says romance is dead ? :)

Rooms look stunning :

f9b1a1c3264f19f78e335472ad00cc56.jpg

If going with ver lads, you could even get three to a room.Crikey that’s only £8 each per night !

Looks nice.
But clicking on the link came up with this , which is surely the holy grail for the discerning GSser, and perfectly matched to his steed :

9d2872adeb0c486fcc06073fde0f1647.jpg

Arques is just down the road from Calais and they have a chain all over France so a readily made holiday for you and your beloved......What could be more perfect ? A week away for less than £175 !! And who says romance is dead ? :)

Rooms look stunning :

f9b1a1c3264f19f78e335472ad00cc56.jpg

If going with ver lads, you could even get three to a room.Crikey that’s only £8 each per night !

That’s the biker mates dream right there. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom