Pyrenees hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nutty will never know, trust me.

This comment wins the thread! :D

The hotel we used in Ax-les-Thermes was the Auzerie or something like that. That's from memory. I'm going to look it up now to see how close I was...

Ah, not bad; https://www.auzeraie.com/

It was good enough for the price OK, had a nice meal there but it's right by the town square (and hot springs) so plenty of other places nearby to eat.

(Nutty doesn't just cause confusion for his own European jaunts. We were in Belgium last year, that town with tank in the square, when my phone buzzed. I was a bit surprised to see I had a missed call from him. I mean he's a nice guy and we've met a few times over the years, but a call out of the blue. Maybe he too was in Belgium (en route from Vienna to Zurich)?

After returning the call and leaving a message he sent me an email he wanted to discuss. He was after a completely different Robin.)

Also agree its a very strange way IMO of booking a motorcycling tour of the Pyrenees, French side of course. Although looking at previous trip reports they have done it does seem to be a Gastro , fine wine trip with a bit of motorcycling in-between.
Bit like the hairy Bikers stuff but sans follicle.
Anyway trip planning is soon to change as Arsey will be along soon to point out the massive error the guys have made booking the Parador de Vielha as this one is just for peasants, the one just a couple of hundred miles away does a much nicer cuisses de grenouille.
Look forward to trip report

The trip is always about the riding, obviously, but nice hotels and food are all part of the package. Wappers is only used to staying in Ibis hotels though, so this thread is beyond his remit. :D

The trip is always about the riding, obviously, but nice hotels and ketchup are all part of the package. Wappers is only used to staying in Ibis hotels though, so this thread is beyond his remit. :D

Fixed

c87dc5fbf041bac93a66b0791ce40e1b.jpg

I’ve got to agree with Nutty. I tend to go with the wing it method of trip planning but when it comes to late afternoon and time to find a hotel I always look at pictures of the bar and restaurant and wherever possible I use Trip Advisor to check food reviews for both the hotel and other local restaurants.

For me it’s a road trip and part of that road trip is taking in different cultures which of course includes beer and food :okay

I’ve got to agree with Nutty. I tend to go with the wing it method of trip planning but when it comes to late afternoon and time to find a hotel I always look at pictures of the bar and restaurant and wherever possible I use Trip Advisor to check food reviews for both the hotel and other local restaurants.

For me it’s a road trip and part of that road trip is taking in different cultures which of course includes beer and food :okay

and a phrase book with, "you're my best mate, you are" in 15 different languages...

But most on here would be happy enough with egg and chips in the evening, and a bit of British telly.

For me, it’s all about the culinary experience.

and a phrase book with, "you're my best mate, you are" in 15 different languages...

Phrase book? I’ve got google translate and I can order beers in multiple languages though I must confess to sometimes using the wrong language after a few pints.

I used to reckon that within a week of being in a country I could say good morning, good evening, order a beer and offer to buy someone a drink :D

But most on here would be happy enough with egg and chips in the evening, and a bit of British telly.

For me, it’s all about the culinary experience.

It’s always a good idea to post pictures of meals because some would sooner look at a waterfall though I don’t know why :nenau

It’s always a good idea to post pictures of meals because some would sooner look at a waterfall though I don’t know why :nenau

That’s the good thing about our ride reports, you get pictures of waterfalls and pictures of food. Win win. :thumb

I’ve got to agree with Nutty. I tend to go with the wing it method of trip planning....

But la Nutty isn't winging it at all. He is looking to be told specific hotels in specific towns (on the French side of the Pyrenees) that he'll join together. That is the antithesis of winging it. That his request for assistance turned up nothing more than the names of three towns, a (possibly) closed goat hut, somewhere miles away by the sea and the Hotel Labia, speaks volumes for the mutual support he's received. Meanwhile, his travelling companion (Bounce) has apparently been booking hotels, including one in Spain, rendering the entire line of enquiry useless. Though it has been amusing, as so many of Nutty's travels are.

This comment wins the thread! :D

The hotel we used in Ax-les-Thermes was the Auzerie or something like that. That's from memory. I'm going to look it up now to see how close I was...

Ah, not bad; https://www.auzeraie.com/

It was good enough for the price OK, had a nice meal there but it's right by the town square (and hot springs) so plenty of other places nearby to eat.

(Nutty doesn't just cause confusion for his own European jaunts. We were in Belgium last year, that town with tank in the square, when my phone buzzed. I was a bit surprised to see I had a missed call from him. I mean he's a nice guy and we've met a few times over the years, but a call out of the blue. Maybe he too was in Belgium (en route from Vienna to Zurich)?

After returning the call and leaving a message he sent me an email he wanted to discuss. He was after a completely different Robin.)

:jes

Too late with the name of the hotel, the axe has fallen on Ax-les-Thermes. They are off to Spain instead. Anyway Ax was probably going to be confused with Aix, which would have found Nutty in Provence, scratching his head at his spanking new gps device

monkey-using-gps-600w-697267474.jpg

Bagnères-de-Luchon, stayed here several times, little town has all you need even a pastrie shop and spain is on your doorstep, if you feel like a day off the bikes you can visit the hot spa (if open) or hire a segway.

Nice old style town, not stayed there but have lunched there a few times

We’ve booked a night at the Parador de Vielha, perfect. :thumb

You slipped up & should have tried

Hotel Aran in Vielha

Now that was quirky, even had a swimming pool in a second floor bedroom suite, above the bar and whilst drinking you could hear the water sloshing about your heads

0a553bb888e6fd2c392420d0e81c0cd1.jpg

But la Nutty isn't winging it at all. He is looking to be told specific hotels in specific towns (on the French side of the Pyrenees) that he'll join together. That is the antithesis of winging it. That his request for assistance turned up nothing more than the names of three towns, a (possibly) closed goat hut, somewhere miles away by the sea and the Hotel Labia, speaks volumes for the mutual support he's received. Meanwhile, his travelling companion (Bounce) has apparently been booking hotels, including one in Spain, rendering the entire line of enquiry useless. Though it has been amusing, as so many of Nutty's travels are.

For someone that likes to make out he’s quite on the ball, you really don’t get it, mate. :blast

For someone that likes to make out he’s quite on the ball, you really don’t get it, mate. :blast

Oh I think he does
It seems like the hotels are important to your trip, maybe more so the route
I would sooner have a great route, more than a top class hotel
You are only staying a night, 2 at most
Some of the best hotels I have found have been by ‘winging it’
Problem with a highly structured route with pre booked hotels Is that you are fairly committed (unless you want to lose your money, as booking.com won’t allow cancellation in under 7 days or 2-3 abroad)
So if the weather is bad in your chosen area
You have a bike problem
You have planned an over ambitious route in the mountains, which takes 12 hours to traverse

So you are stuffed, having to get to a pre planned hotel

With a large group I understand pre booking being a necessity

But 2 -3 of you ?

Just wing it and pitch up for 2 -3 rooms

If you don’t like the look of a particular hotel - there will be more down the street

As I said - winging it can throw up some gems of places to stay

Phrase book? I’ve got google translate and I can order beers in multiple languages though I must confess to sometimes using the wrong language after a few pints.

I used to reckon that within a week of being in a country I could say good morning, good evening, order a beer and offer to buy someone a drink :D

Ordering beer is very easy in any language

for everything else I just shout until the fuckers learn and understand :D

A handy guide :

oeufs et frites s'il vous plaît

huevos y patatas fritas por favor

arrautzak eta patatak mesedez (handy for western Pyrenees to avoid getting awesome steed blown up )

Eier und Pommes bitte

uibheacha agus sceallóga le do thoil

请鸡蛋和薯条

eiers en skyfies asb

Oh I think he does
It seems like the hotels are important to your trip, maybe more so the route
I would sooner have a great route, more than a top class hotel
You are only staying a night, 2 at most
Some of the best hotels I have found have been by ‘winging it’
Problem with a highly structured route with pre booked hotels Is that you are fairly committed (unless you want to lose your money, as booking.com won’t allow cancellation in under 7 days or 2-3 abroad)
So if the weather is bad in your chosen area
You have a bike problem
You have planned an over ambitious route in the mountains, which takes 12 hours to traverse

So you are stuffed, having to get to a pre planned hotel

With a large group I understand pre booking being a necessity

But 2 -3 of you ?

Just wing it and pitch up for 2 -3 rooms

If you don’t like the look of a particular hotel - there will be more down the street

As I said - winging it can throw up some gems of places to stay

Does he? Unless he has a telepathic way of knowing exactly what I’m thinking, he has no idea.

For the hard of thinking, it’s a thread to see if anyone can recommend some decent hotels. If they happen to be on the route we’re going to do, great, if not, we’ve got loads of options courtesy of booking.com.

The trip is about the riding. Obviously. But what’s wrong with trying to find some decent hotels that others here have stayed at, that they recommend? :nenau

I’ve winged it on holiday many times, and yes, you can turn up some real gems. In fact, we shall be winging it for a few nights on this very trip, so you can stand down.

I’ve obviously upset Wapping as I don’t want to stay in Ibis hotels, and would like to stay in places that are a bit better than your average “biker hotel” serving egg & chips, with only fools and horses on the telly in the bar.

If travelling all that way, what’s wrong with asking for recommendations of good hotels?

Ordering beer is very easy in any language

for everything else I just shout until the fuckers learn and understand :D

We just use google translate on the phone, and hold it up, if we get really stuck. After a few drinks, it’s highly entertaining, and the locals think it’s hilarious! :D

Does he? Unless he has a telepathic way of knowing exactly what I’m thinking, he has no idea.

For the hard of thinking, it’s a thread to see if anyone can recommend some decent hotels. If they happen to be on the route we’re going to do, great, if not, we’ve got loads of options courtesy of booking.com.

The trip is about the riding. Obviously. But what’s wrong with trying to find some decent hotels that others here have stayed at, that they recommend? :nenau

I’ve winged it on holiday many times, and yes, you can turn up some real gems. In fact, we shall be winging it for a few nights on this very trip, so you can stand down.

I’ve obviously upset Wapping as I don’t want to stay in Ibis hotels, and would like to stay in places that are a bit better than your average “biker hotel” serving egg & chips, with only fools and horses on the telly in the bar.

If travelling all that way, what’s wrong with asking for recommendations of good hotels?

Then it would be of considerable help to bods if you told them the route you are taking, rather than a very vague, “Tell me hotels on the French side of the Pyrenees”. That way you’d avoid being told of say hotels or even the town of Oloron, when you are in fact planning on being much further to the east, near Ceret.

Of course if you have no idea where you are going at all, we can sympathise with your predicament and leave it all to Bounce.

PS Quite why you think I might want to stay in an Ibis hotel, over say one from Logis or the George Cinque, I have no idea. They do though serve their purpose, when called upon. There again, so does a hedge to piss against, when there is a pressing need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom