Pyrenees hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then it would be of considerable help to bods if you told them the route you are taking, rather than a very vague, “Tell me hotels on the French side of the Pyrenees”. That way you’d avoid being told of say hotels or even the town of Oloron, when you are in fact planning on being much further to the east, near Ceret.

Of course if you have no idea where you are going at all, we can sympathise with your predicament and leave it all to Bounce.

PS Quite why you think I might want to stay in an Ibis hotel, over say one from Logis or the George Cinque, I have no idea. They do though serve their purpose, when called upon. There again, so does a hedge to piss against, when there is a pressing need.

Read this slowly, as I’ll say it again for you.

We are flexible on routes.

There. Wasn’t difficult was it? We don’t sit behind basecamp for 12 hours before a trip. We will plan our routes, normally on the day, so we can go wherever we fancy once we’re there. If we have three or four hotel recommendations all in different areas, we can choose which one we’re going to stay that night in, depending on the weather/ if any roads are closed/ how many miles we want to ride that day.

Just because you and JB sit and plan your routes to the tiniest detail, not all of us do. ;)

So that’s cleared that up.

No hotels on routes, as no routes known. Good job Bounce got busy.

I know you don’t plan them on your gps as BaseCamp and Mapsource are beyond you, despite bods’ efforts several efforts to assist, often at short notice. It also explains why you have asked for pre-made routes in the past. The brief flirtation with TomTom did not last long. Hopefully some bods will turn up with some hotels and not another (closed) goat hut or a place by the sea. Your mate Arsey is bound to have lots more.

Enjoy your jaunt to the French Pyrenees (plus now Spain) and thanks for the excellent thread.... await pictures of frites, waterfalls and people feeling unwell.

:beerjug:

No lets not stop this thread just yet
Lets have Bounce clear up any confusion that might have arose regards the method of reverse engineering this trip.
So its confirmed, a night or two at posh hotel in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Next ?

Got some digs sorted (via a mix of recommendations & booking.com) :D; I have checked menu's & there's definitely frites :green gri

Got a rough route sorted for a few days (courtesy of google maps).....Starts @ Lasse and heads east to Vielha :D....it does cross the border a few times (that's the France/Spain border for absolute clarity) ;)

After this.....who knows? :p

Does he? Unless he has a telepathic way of knowing exactly what I’m thinking, he has no idea.

For the hard of thinking, it’s a thread to see if anyone can recommend some decent hotels. If they happen to be on the route we’re going to do, great, if not, we’ve got loads of options courtesy of booking.com.

The trip is about the riding. Obviously. But what’s wrong with trying to find some decent hotels that others here have stayed at, that they recommend? :nenau

I’ve winged it on holiday many times, and yes, you can turn up some real gems. In fact, we shall be winging it for a few nights on this very trip, so you can stand down.

I’ve obviously upset Wapping as I don’t want to stay in Ibis hotels, and would like to stay in places that are a bit better than your average “biker hotel” serving egg & chips, with only fools and horses on the telly in the bar.

If travelling all that way, what’s wrong with asking for recommendations of good hotels?

Stand down??

I gave you two hotels

Both quirky and memorable - in Vielha and Oleron

Both of which Humvee organised on a trip

Hey Ho

Read this slowly, as I’ll say it again for you.

We are flexible on routes.

There. Wasn’t difficult was it? We don’t sit behind basecamp for 12 hours before a trip. We will plan our routes, normally on the day, so we can go wherever we fancy once we’re there. If we have three or four hotel recommendations all in different areas, we can choose which one we’re going to stay that night in, depending on the weather/ if any roads are closed/ how many miles we want to ride that day.

Just because you and JB sit and plan your routes to the tiniest detail, not all of us do. ;)

I don’t
Quote the opposite in fact

Stand down??

I gave you two hotels

Whilst I prompted Robin to raise the lid on his memory, suggested the pilgrim town (where by chance they are planning to be nearby, probably on the bit they have planned on this ‘unplanned’ jaunt) and did my best to bring it to some sort of order by setting out the distances between the places that had been recommended or at least those on the French side, as that is what had been asked for.

These ‘wing it’ jaunts do seem to be hard work for the participants. I thought it would be easy to just roll off a ferry and ride, feeling free and alive, the wind in the hair and sun in the eyes. Taking lot luck on hotels or sleeping under the stars.

But hey, I have made a note of the goat hut and a reminder not to ask Cabby for directions.

I’ve done the Pyrenees a few times but normally stay on the Spanish side.
One reason being the roads are better in Spain,such as the N260, and the other being the Spanish eat late,so you can pitch up at 6pm,have a leisurely shower etc then have beers and eat at 9pm or later.
Another reason is a large beer in Spain is half the price of a beer in France so over a few nights, its much cheaper.
Food may be a higher standard in France but I love the local Spanish stuff such as the Fabadas etc.
And having travelled down trough France ,it’s nice to experience a different country which is literally a few miles away,if you’re in the Pyrenees .....

I’ve done the Pyrenees a few times but normally stay on the Spanish side.
One reason being the roads are better in Spain,such as the N260, and the other being the Spanish eat late,so you can pitch up at 6pm,have a leisurely shower etc then have beers and eat at 9pm or later.
The other reason is a large beer in Spain is half the price of a beer in France so over a few nights, its much cheaper.
Food may be a higher standard in France but I love the local Spanish stuff such as the Fabadas etc.
And having travelled down trough France ,it’s nice to experience a different country which is literally a few miles away,if you’re in the Pyrenees .....

Very good points sir. I love France and spend a lot of time there but for the Pyrenees I prefer the Spanish side:thumb

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I am agog with excitement, waiting to see where Nutty and Bounce end up! I know they'll have a fine time wherever they go.

(This thread deserves a mention as eliciting responses from the triumverate of "I definitely know best, much more so than anyone else ever and if you don't do things exactly the way I do then you are clearly very very stupid because I am very very clever and eveything I do is perfect and my bike is the best and I ride it the best and why wouldn't everyone want to be me and share my views on everything" merchants. Take a bow, Arsey, Tarka and JonnyBoxer.)

The top box is packed already

f9910cce95e10277879c11f1e6af2d3a.jpg

Quinten, do you need one of these ?

17b567d7dcde65589cd44d95add0c2e4.jpg

As per previous ride reports, I'll make sure we list all the hotels & their addresses we stay at, plus the good/bad summary for each :D

There will of course be many pictures, including food/libations from each of the establishments ;)

Wherever we ride, wherever we stay, it’ll certainly be another fantastic trip. :beerjug:

Thanks for the contributions folks. :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom