Thanks for the memories

daytripper!

Reaction score
In my day even a budget laptop could have a 1TB HDD :rob. So thumbing thru lists of the latest laptops and I come across the Microsoft Surface 3 for £999, then I notice it has just 128Gb SSD, WTF? :eek: Given the quality, given the cost, given the demand for this masterpiece of technology I guess there has to be a good reason why, in an era when information is king, such a small amount of memory is considered acceptable ~ but what is that reason? :nenau Maybe laptops now only serve to input and manipulate data which is stored securely in the ether elsewhere? :rolleyes: If so how come £450 LESS will buy you a laptop with 512Gb of SSD? :confused: Maybe the Microsoft marketing manager spent the component budget down the pub? :ChrisKelly And howcome there are so many different laptop configurations from each manufacturer, it's fecking bizarre :(

I sse it as the shoving towards cloud computing. You can't keep all your crap on a little SSD now can you.
You can get a 512GB+ Micro SD cards now, so that's a pretty easy way to get some decent storage capacity.

I really like to try and get decent value from my computing, there are great second hand Dell Ultrabooks out there for small money that do me very well with a good setup for £200ish.

Hi Roberto, as ever this search among the laptops is not for my benefit but yet another member of the tribe. Pls do tell where a decent (say i5, 8RAM, 512Gb SSD) laptop can be found, even 2nd user, TIA!

Hi Roberto, as ever this search among the laptops is not for my benefit but yet another member of the tribe. Pls do tell where a decent (say i5, 8RAM, 512Gb SSD) laptop can be found, even 2nd user, TIA!

No worries old chap. Just taking a look - have a look at Dell E7240 ultrabooks on ebay, they're pretty cheap although possibly a slightly smaller SSD than 512 (my SD card trick applies though)
I have a few of them running my business. Bought on the cheap, quick and pretty robust. You can pick up cheap docking stations for multi screen setups too. They really are ace.

Back
Top Bottom