Hotel / digs near Folkestone / Chunnel

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
UPDATE! I have managed to book the train. (Robbing bar stewarts) Next question, anyone recommend hotel / B&B near or around surrounding areas for the station UK side with secure bike parking as my bike will be loaded ready for an early morning getaway. :beerjug:

UPDATE! I have managed to book the train. (Robbing bar stewarts) Next question, anyone recommend hotel / B&B near or around surrounding areas for the station UK side with secure bike parking as my bike will be loaded ready for an early morning getaway. :beerjug:

I normally stay here http://www.alkhamvalleyview.co.uk/

They do a cracking breakfast, and secure parking for the bike (garage, if you’re worried).

I've stayed in the Carlton Hotel in Folkstone which was right on the esplanade and had marvellously quirky decor.
Open air car park to rear, but I had no security worries or hassle.
It was very cheap booked via booking.com.

I've used this place a couple of times. In Hythe, 20 minutes from the tunnel. Overlooks the beach, seafood restaurant across the road. Pub and chip shop a short walk towards the town centre. Parking at the rear, no gate.
Seems to have changed hands since I stayed there https://www.oyorooms.com/gb/61948-o...titude=51.066062&longitude=1.084573&locale=en Previous owners were Indian and had a reasonable curry house on site.

I, along with ChasMill and son, have stayed (once) at the oddly named 'Rob Roy' guesthouse in Folkestone. We had a curry in the town, out of which ChasMill's son pulled the longest hair ever seen. We honestly thought a head would be attached at the far end. Happy days.

So yes, I'd cross to France in the evening, if possible.

Got a link, mate?

Natch, mate:

https://robroyfolkestone.co.uk

The curry house, I have struck from the records.

Quite a few hotels in Folkestone, none of which I've ever stayed in. I did deliver to the Rob Roy on Dover Road on my paper round many years ago.

If I had to recommend somewhere for one night, I'd probably go for the Holiday Inn. Lots of people visiting us at work stay next door at the Premier Inn and I've not heard any horror stories about vehicle thefts. I'd still fit a lock to bike, though. Both are five minutes from the Eurotunnel site. Neither likely to be overly characterful, I'd suggest.

I stay at a b&b called fern lodge in Hythe nothing fancy they let me park the bike round the back as the drive car park is pebbles which is a bit of a pain ,there’s another right next to it ,might try that next time . Have a look on google earth

Here’s another one I’ve stayed at, a couple of times. My current favourite.

http://www.pigeonwood.com/

Park the bike in the garage, or under your window, peace of mind. :thumb

Cherry Garden B&B folkestone
Very clean, nice people, good breakfast and will do evening meals by pre order, easy access of M20 junction 13, so good location for the chunnel, or as I had to join others on the dover calais ferry (!).
they are on booking.com but ring direct, Susan and Angelo 01303 627297
NB
Rooms are not ensuite.

Chandos Guest House

77 Cheriton Road
Folkestone
CT20 1DG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1303 851202
cheap and cheerful, bike in garden behind closed gate.

Chandos Guest House

77 Cheriton Road
Folkestone
CT20 1DG
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1303 851202
cheap and cheerful, bike in garden behind closed gate.

Why would you, when you can stay in a farmhouse with a barn, less than five minutes from the terminal?

Hey, that was data from 5 years ago on a wapping Ride and I was meeting someone there as a courtesy. As it ended up, the bod splashed oil all over tyres so masculine wisdom (sand) was called for. Probably wouldn't now. Just get a straight crossing!
It was way cheaper then too

I stay at a b&b called fern lodge in Hythe nothing fancy they let me park the bike round the back as the drive car park is pebbles which is a bit of a pain ,there’s another right next to it ,might try that next time . Have a look on google earth

Plus 1 i have stayed here. folkestone is a shit hole. At least Hythe has a Waitrose :D

I normally stay at the Premier Inn at Eureka Park - 12 minutes up the M20 from the tunnel. It's soulless and the only food choice there is the Beefeater next door. But it's convenient.

Or, if I go over the day before I stay at Chateau Tilques on the other side and have a nice dinner and leisurely breakfast. Not both at the same time.

I normally stay at the Premier Inn at Eureka Park - 12 minutes up the M20 from the tunnel. It's soulless and the only food choice there is the Beefeater next door. But it's convenient.

Or, if I go over the day before I stay at Chateau Tilques on the other side and have a nice dinner and leisurely breakfast. Not both at the same time.

Been there, done that too.

Hey, that was data from 5 years ago on a wapping Ride and I was meeting someone there as a courtesy. As it ended up, the bod splashed oil all over tyres so masculine wisdom (sand) was called for. Probably wouldn't now. Just get a straight crossing!
It was way cheaper then too

Well we all know that Wapping knows fuck all about decent hotels :D

Back
Top Bottom