Problems with my brand new GS 1250 Adventuer

Actually, I could have posted exactly the same. I kept my 1150 from new (2000) for 14 years ..... was never going to get rid. But ...........

awwwww do you wish you had one ?
:hide

Errr... was it something I said. No I don’t think so. But (to refer to another theme within this thread), it was written in plain English. I fear the problem is with your lack of comprehension sir. As I said. Just such a wonderfully revealing thread this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I could have posted exactly the same. I kept my 1150 from new (2000) for 14 years ..... was never going to get rid. But ...........

I’m with you. Still miss mine. But then I recognise my limitations and it was the right decision. I piss myself reading about the various modifications people make in order to ride a bike that clearly is just too big for them to handle. Lowered seats and the latest, devices to assist them put the bloody thing on the centre stand! You couldn’t invent this stuff. Just brilliant.

There it is Bob:

a5f312941c2b5e9edcc2b127847b2742.mov
9cb9bc25bb5a5dfcabc64c85ab61e119.mov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

miss my baby !
Took me to Dakar and Siria.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 444
I’m with you. Still miss mine. But then I recognise my limitations and it was the right decision. I piss myself reading about the various modifications people make in order to ride a bike that clearly is just too big for them to handle. Lowered seats and the latest, devices to assist them put the bloody thing on the centre stand! You couldn’t invent this stuff. Just brilliant.

Dwarfism , unfair and clearly short sighted

Once again we are blessed with a thread that ends up cheering the old stuff, and we've been told over and over again how much better everything was before.

I must say, I do not agree.

My first bike was a -73 R75/5. My latest is the R1250GSA.

The old boxer was a good bike for it's time. But where these old boxers rock solid? No, they where not.
BMW introduced improvemnts for these bikes every year in their lifespan, and they slowly grew into rock solid dinosaurs that lacked buying customers, as the bikes from Japan performed so much better. Hence the introduction of the K models. The K's where a large step for BMW, but also the K's had issues, and once again, the K's where improved on a yearly basis, and once again into being obsolete.

The history repeats itself for more or less all new introduced models from BMW, and each time, the next years model was improved.

The now debated model, the 1200LC has probably been one of the least flawed new bike for BMW when introduced in -13, and yet it has been improved every year, as tradition dictates. I regard the 1250 as the latest of the boxer LC's. It has been improved over it's preceeding -18 1200LC. Compared to the -18 1200LC the 1250 is an improvement. Compared to the older models the 1250 is a much better bike in every way. The funny thing of all this is that we are being kept told how bad the newer one is by people that does not own one, they have just read all the wining on the internet.

Is the 1250 perfect? Hell, no. But it's better than it's predecessors.
What about the new electronics and stuff? I think it is wonderful. History of 30 years + of electronics have thought us that the electronics seldom fails. Sensors and actuators do, while the computers usually do not fail.
True, you are not able to fix them with the old type of tools. But frankly, setting up an engine with points - ignition required more tools than you need for the new ones. Now you need and OBD compliant gadget, and that's it. And of course, you have to read the manual....

Now, back to OPs problem. I hope he finds a dealer that is able to help. I know they are out there...
Even if most bikes sold gives the owners nothing but pleassure, we have to face the fact that even now the Germans also makes bikes on mondays, as have been the case ever since the end of WW2.

Once again we are blessed with a thread that ends up cheering the old stuff, and we've been told over and over again how much better everything was before.

The old boxer was a good bike for it's time. But where these old boxers rock solid? No, they where not.
BMW introduced improvemnts for these bikes every year in their lifespan, and they slowly grew into rock solid dinosaurs that lacked buying customers, as the bikes from Japan performed so much better. Hence the introduction of the K models. The K's where a large step for BMW, but also the K's had issues, and once again, the K's where improved on a yearly basis, and once again into being obsolete.

The history repeats itself for more or less all new introduced models from BMW, and each time, the next years model was improved.

The now debated model, the 1200LC has probably been one of the least flawed new bike for BMW when introduced in -13, and yet it has been improved every year, as tradition dictates. I regard the 1250 as the latest of the boxer LC's. It has been improved over it's preceeding -18 1200LC. Compared to the -18 1200LC the 1250 is an improvement. Compared to the older models the 1250 is a much better bike in every way. The funny thing of all this is that we are being kept told how bad the newer one is by people that does not own one, they have just read all the wining on the internet.

What about the new electronics and stuff? I think it is wonderful. History of 30 years + of electronics have thought us that the electronics seldom fails. Sensors and actuators do, while the computers usually do not fail.
True, you are not able to fix them with the old type of tools. But frankly, setting up an engine with points - ignition required more tools than you need for the new ones. Now you need and OBD compliant gadget, and that's it. And of course, you have to read the manual....

Now, back to OPs problem. I hope he finds a dealer that is able to help. I know they are out there...
Even if most bikes sold gives the owners nothing but pleassure, we have to face the fact that even now the Germans also makes bikes on mondays, as have been the case ever since the end of WW2.

Good post - sensibility reigns.

Glad to see someone has removed the rose tinted glasses , so I assume you are not bidding on this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Austin-Mini-Cooper-997-barn-find-project-1967/203041518926

£4200 for a V5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the problem, they have built their reputation in the past with the likes of you and I, and we do keep going back! but my last 3 BMW's have been poor.
Twin Can had issue at 19K, 2015 LC at 15K and my 67 plate has already had cams a 7K and is making a bad noise now??.. and I don't mean switches or something. The TC was crank related, the first LC was gearbox and the one I have now was cams as I say, and what now sound like piston slap when hot at low RPM! Not one of them got past 20K

This is after coming from Kawasaki zzr and putting tousands of trouble free miles onthe bike .. was 49k when I sold it.

So this is accepable? I'm overstating quality issues?? I dont think so in my case anyway.

I do tend to keep my bikes a good few years if I can, but I'd have little confidance taking my existing bike outside warranty...

Have you seen the ratings? https://www.thethings.com/ranking-t...rcycle-brands-of-2020-and-the-least-reliable/

bring back the engineers from the 70's and 80's instead of these straight from Uni, qualified to the hilt but actualy know nothing Engineers that design the things now!.... the marketing blurbe and customer loyalty will only last so long!!

It’s a bit more complex , plenty of 70’s bikes wouldn’t start just because the points got damp on a misty day , Jap chrome would corrode while you were looking at it and fixings would disintegrate if you put a spanner or screwdriver near them.Engineers today are fighting on all fronts , Cost , Emissions ,weight,reliability & desirability , no mean feat!

It’s a bit more complex , plenty of 70’s bikes wouldn’t start just because the points got damp on a misty day , Jap chrome would corrode while you were looking at it and fixings would disintegrate if you put a spanner or screwdriver near them.Engineers today are fighting on all fronts , Cost , Emissions ,weight,reliability & desirability , no mean feat!

It was the reliability of the Japenese bikes of the 70s plus the exciting look of them that finnished off the British bike industry !

It was the reliability of the Japenese bikes of the 70s plus the exciting look of them that finnished off the British bike industry !

Nope.
It was the lack of reliability by the British bikes combined with outdated engine design that turned the customers to buy non British bikes. A shame realy, as I liked (and still do) the looks of the old Nortons and Triumphs.

Nope.
It was the lack of reliability by the British bikes combined with outdated engine design that turned the customers to buy non British bikes. A shame realy, as I liked (and still do) the looks of the old Nortons and Triumphs.

Isn't that what I said ?

Isn't that what I said ?

I guess that's what you meant to say.

But the point is, it wasn't the Japanese bikes that did it. I think the British MC industry went down hill way before the Japanes bikes where available. The investors and owners of the MC industry were not willing to invest as needed for renewal of the bikes. and this started way before 'the Japanese invation'. This forced the industry to modify outdated designs, and the industry was a sinking ship with no life raft in sight.
The introduction of the bikes from Japan sure did not help, but the way the industry was heading, they would have bought it anyway, as did the automobile industry and aircraft industry.

Thus, claiming it was the Japanese quality that did it is not quite an accurate statement.

However, I think everybody understood what you meant, so you may say it's a bit of nitpicking and playing with words on my side. :beerjug:

Story of my life..... :aidan

I guess that's what you meant to say.

But the point is, it wasn't the Japanese bikes that did it. I think the British MC industry went down hill way before the Japanes bikes where available. The investors and owners of the MC industry were not willing to invest as needed for renewal of the bikes. and this started way before 'the Japanese invation'. This forced the industry to modify outdated designs, and the industry was a sinking ship with no life raft in sight.
The introduction of the bikes from Japan sure did not help, but the way the industry was heading, they would have bought it anyway, as did the automobile industry and aircraft industry.

Thus, claiming it was the Japanese quality that did it is not quite an accurate statement.

However, I think everybody understood what you meant, so you may say it's a bit of nitpicking and playing with words on my side. :beerjug:

Story of my life..... :aidan
You omit the point that most of the manufacturing equipment was worn out, which impacted upon the quality being produced, where as to an extent the Japanese were starting from scratch, the innate racism and arrogance of British management didn't help either.

If you use a JIS screwdriver rather than a Phillips, it makes dismantling far easier, but how many understood the difference or used near enough imperial spanners on the metric bolts.

I should admit to owning a T140exec from new as well as now owning a Tina, Tigress and Panther M100 along with numerous Honda's too.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom