Problems with my brand new GS 1250 Adventuer

i thought that the brand was a good one we are paying very hight prices for there bike but not getting a good product

I do agree with this. We pay a lot and do not get the quality in the product we deserve. What we are paying for is the nice showroom, the warranty, the recovery, the uise of a car / bike whilst ours are in, the putting right of the bike and so on.

Where in actual fact, if they made the product better in the first place, we'd not need any of this.

BMW have a huge marketting machine thay convince punters they are way better than they actualy are (see 2019 cusomer satisfaction surverys for that!)... We are paying a lot for somthing that is not designed right, is not made right, where pennies are saved and the end result is lack of reliabuility.

I know I've sais it before, but my old 1978 100RS did way over 100K before I sold it... wonder what these are good for on the odd chance you do get a good one?

I do agree with this. We pay a lot and do not get the quality in the product we deserve. What we are paying for is the nice showroom, the warranty, the recovery, the uise of a car / bike whilst ours are in, the putting right of the bike and so on.

Where in actual fact, if they made the product better in the first place, we'd not need any of this.

BMW have a huge marketting machine thay convince punters they are way better than they actualy are (see 2019 cusomer satisfaction surverys for that!)... We are paying a lot for somthing that is not designed right, is not made right, where pennies are saved and the end result is lack of reliabuility.

I know I've sais it before, but my old 1978 100RS did way over 100K before I sold it... wonder what these are good for on the odd chance you do get a good one?

I think you are overstating things with the quality of BMW. I’ve owned at least 10 and have had problems with one or two. Somehow BMW have hit a sweet spot with buyers who seem to return to the brand time and time again. I’ve interspaced my BMW with Yamaha Suzuki and Aprilia but seem intrigently drawn back to BMs. Why? I don’t fully know. I’ve had RTs GS and gsa. Fs in gsa and gs and st. A few older ones too. Is it solely the bikes? Obviously not if I’m happy with all the different configurations I’ve had. I’m not a fashion victim wearing whatever clothing comes at the best price usually second hand off here. I’ve bought from different dealers and even imported two. So why do I forego the benefits of Honda or Yamaha or any other make? I just don’t know. I do know that I enjoy riding the bikes and the service I get from the dealerships. I’m at the stage that I don’t bother looking at anything else when it’s time to change. Also I mostly change on a whim. I’ll be in the dealers and see something I like. The idea of a change takes root and change I must. Maybe not for the bike that planted the seed and maybe not in that shop BUT the idea takes hold and won’t go away. Having said all that I seen a lovely FJR run out model in a shop yesterday while looking at bikes with my son. I’m also keen on a 1250 gsa. BMW have struck some gold with whatever they have done to make people keep coming back. Yes they have had trouble with some of their bIkes. Nobody writes about the bike that doesn’t have problems. Won’t change for a month or 2 due to new kitchen and car on way. JJH

I owned my 1150 GS for 14 years. I loved it, I was never tempted away with the newer 1200's. Especially all the horror stories from 2004 with Final drive failures, Fuel pumps etc... So i kept it. In 2013 My 1150 , with 90k on it fried the starter. New battery too, cost me over £500. (was in St. Tropez) I lost confidence in it. Knowing the trips I do, I needed reliability, and the 1150 was just getting old. I wasn't convinced about the new W/C, so decided to go with the brand new Triumph Tiger Explorer XC 1215. The engine was sublime. But I hated the bike and within 8 months I was back on a Brand new GSA. It taught me a lesson..... Anything else is a wannabe GSA. Nothing comes near to it. IMHO
All that said, I will not invest in the current 1250. I'm not convinced about the Obsolete old tech used on the shiftcam. I need to leave it a couple or three years for them to sort any issues. Old 80's electronic variable valves isn't for me....So i can see me keeping my 18 plate GSA Rallye.

This is the problem, they have built their reputation in the past with the likes of you and I, and we do keep going back! but my last 3 BMW's have been poor.
Twin Can had issue at 19K, 2015 LC at 15K and my 67 plate has already had cams a 7K and is making a bad noise now??.. and I don't mean switches or something. The TC was crank related, the first LC was gearbox and the one I have now was cams as I say, and what now sound like piston slap when hot at low RPM! Not one of them got past 20K

This is after coming from Kawasaki zzr and putting tousands of trouble free miles onthe bike .. was 49k when I sold it.

So this is accepable? I'm overstating quality issues?? I dont think so in my case anyway.

I do tend to keep my bikes a good few years if I can, but I'd have little confidance taking my existing bike outside warranty...

Have you seen the ratings? https://www.thethings.com/ranking-t...rcycle-brands-of-2020-and-the-least-reliable/

bring back the engineers from the 70's and 80's instead of these straight from Uni, qualified to the hilt but actualy know nothing Engineers that design the things now!.... the marketing blurbe and customer loyalty will only last so long!!

This is the problem, they have built their reputation in the past with the likes of you and I, and we do keep going back! but my last 3 BMW's have been poor.
Twin Can had issue at 19K, 2015 LC at 15K and my 67 plate has already had cams a 7K and is making a bad noise now??.. and I don't mean switches or something. The TC was crank related, the first LC was gearbox and the one I have now was cams as I say, and what now sound like piston slap when hot at low RPM! Not one of them got past 20K

This is after coming from Kawasaki zzr and putting tousands of trouble free miles onthe bike .. was 49k when I sold it.

So this is accepable? I'm overstating quality issues?? I dont think so in my case anyway.

I do tend to keep my bikes a good few years if I can, but I'd have little confidance taking my existing bike outside warrenty...

Have you seen the ratings? https://www.thethings.com/ranking-t...rcycle-brands-of-2020-and-the-least-reliable/

bring back the engineers from the 70's and 80's instead of these straight from Uni, qualified to the hilt but actualy know nothing Engineers that design the things now!.... the marketing blurbe and customer loyalty will only last so long!!

You see, there is a difference, not everyone has issues. I put over 25k on a 2014RT with no issues apart from the dreaded exhaust flap, which BMW sorted twice. Now on a 1250, not one issue, no leaking brakes, engine fine, only been a year, but looks ok at the moment and if something goes wrong under warranty, it will get sorted no question. I've told this story a few times, but had a new Harley Road King 2014, 7 recalls, and 7 warranty claims, each a friggin fight. In this months MSL there is a long term test on a VFR, not a glowing report. Think this quality thing is a thing of old, what matters is, if something breaks you can rely on the manufacturer to sort, which on the whole, BMW do quite well. But I don't see it as a superior product and its no more expensive than the competitors offerings, so your are not buying a Rolls or a Bently, but people still think they are. Times have changed

I owned my 1150 GS for 14 years. I loved it, I was never tempted away with the newer 1200's. Especially all the horror stories from 2004 with Final drive failures, Fuel pumps etc... So i kept it. In 2013 My 1150 , with 90k on it fried the starter. New battery too, cost me over £500. (was in St. Tropez) I lost confidence in it. Knowing the trips I do, I needed reliability, and the 1150 was just getting old. I wasn't convinced about the new W/C, so decided to go with the brand new Triumph Tiger Explorer XC 1215. The engine was sublime. But I hated the bike and within 8 months I was back on a Brand new GSA. It taught me a lesson..... Anything else is a wannabe GSA. Nothing comes near to it. IMHO
All that said, I will not invest in the current 1250. I'm not convinced about the Obsolete old tech used on the shiftcam. I need to leave it a couple or three years for them to sort any issues. Old 80's electronic variable valves isn't for me....So i can see me keeping my 18 plate GSA Rallye.

Same here, I have 2 years warranty left on my 67 plate... I'l see what the 1250 looks like then... :)

But it does make me laugh when people are proud their bike did 25K without a problem... Is the liftime of a bike now that low that at 50K its dead.. they have become consumabnles and not reliable modes of tranportation

I really do believe that today's potential owners , and new owners dont believe or accept that the BMW opposed twin boxer engine is a bucket of nuts and bolts. I always has been, and always will be. Some will never accept that. The rattles, cloncks and knocks are all part of this engine. If you want smooth, go back to a jap bike.
?
Just saying !

I wouldn’t be overly confident of any modern bike making it to 100k miles without issues of some sort regardless of make.

i think a lot of vintage bikes did big miles or are still going strong because they are simple and cost effective to maintain, it’s not always a quality issue. You get 15 year old bikes being broken now for nothing more than a failed digital dash. If they are linked to the immobilisor you need a new dash, lock set , programming etc, that’ll be £1500 + please sir. In every other respect the bike may be perfectly functioning but not cost effective to repair.

You see, there is a difference, not everyone has issues. I put over 25k on a 2014RT with no issues apart from the dreaded exhaust flap, which BMW sorted twice. Now on a 1250, not one issue, no leaking brakes, engine fine, only been a year, but looks ok at the moment and if something goes wrong under warranty, it will get sorted no question. I've told this story a few times, but had a new Harley Road King 2014, 7 recalls, and 7 warranty claims, each a friggin fight. In this months MSL there is a long term test on a VFR, not a glowing report. Think this quality thing is a thing of old, what matters is, if something breaks you can rely on the manufacturer to sort, which on the whole, BMW do quite well. But I don't see it as a superior product and its no more expensive than the competitors offerings, so your are not buying a Rolls or a Bently, but people still think they are. Times have changed

But they are more expensive than the competition.. £20K for a Suzuki?.. can you find one? they still sell from the 'premium' stage, but I'm affraid our experiances show otherwise. Look in the link.. only worst is Guzzi and Indian Enfields LOL

I wouldn’t be overly confident of any modern bike making it to 100k miles without issues of some sort regardless of make.

i think a lot of vintage bikes did big miles or are still going strong because they are simple and cost effective to maintain, it’s not always a quality issue. You get 15 year old bikes being broken now for nothing more than a failed digital dash. If they are linked to the immobilisor you need a new dash, lock set , programming etc, that’ll be £1500 + please sir. In every other respect the bike may be perfectly functioning but not cost effective to repair.

That is a problem. I have a mate who's a used car dealer. Some of the small Citoens and Renault he'll not go near. ECU's everywhere and if on goes, it's usualy more that the car is worth!

But they are more expensive than the competition.. £20K for a Suzuki?.. can you find one? they still sell from the 'premium' stage, but I'm affraid our experiances show otherwise. Look in the link.. only worst is Guzzi and Indian Enfields LOL

Guess it depends what competition. Ducati you can spend 20k easily. My last Harley cost me 28k in 2014. I still maintain that BMW are brilliant at sorting out issues, no excuse for things to go wrong. But all Manufacturers have issues, its how you support the customer that matters.

well lads i have read all your post and there is some very good points i can see there is a wealth of expereance with this brand i would like to thank you Ps sorry about my speling

I beg to differ, i know a lad who bought a Buildbase GSXR and it cost him 20k. So its not true to say they dont cost that.

If you are not happy with BMW or your Dealership. Why not look at the Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere? After 7 new GS Bikes. I decided to make the change! I did this based on months of research from owners. I couldn’t find any reason not to make the change. Very reliable bike, many bikes with high miles on them with good reviews.

just get on the fucking thing and ride it

Completely agree with the sentiment. But he can't. Its not working properly and he's seriously pissed as I'm guessing he's spent the thick end of £20K! I would be too. But then again I wouldn't, as I would never buy a new one since I bought a new 1150GSA back in 2005. That was brilliant and I did 72k on it. Even they had serious quality issues though. But they were incredibly capable, comfortable and relatively straightforward to work on. And were far more fit for purpose as an 'adventure' bike than anything they've produced since! Limited use of plastic and you could effect running repairs/services with the minimum of fuss. Imagine risking a trip taking in a remote area, with a 1250 that was just out just out of warranty! You wouldn't do it would you? Well I wouldn't feel confident to. Let's face it, their product is pretty crap now (unless you simply intend to take it for gentle potters/commute/fill up the ginormous panniers at Tescos. But BMW are just brilliant at selling the image and convincing all those who buy them aren't they. I see them as they catch a view of themselves reflected in the plate glass shop windows in town - convinced that they are intrepid adventurers. Most have never left tarmac let alone even know what a TKC80 is! The only thing they are intrepid with is their relaxed attitude toward shedding dosh! From a business perspective, it's very clever use of design, styling and marketting. Brilliant thread this. :rolllaugh:rolllaugh

Completely agree with the sentiment. But he can't. Its not working properly and he's seriously pissed as I'm guessing he's spent the thick end of £20K! I would be too. But then again I wouldn't, as I would never buy a new one since I bought a new 1150GSA back in 2005. That was brilliant and I did 72k on it. Even they had serious quality issues though. But they were incredibly capable, comfortable and relatively straightforward to work on. And were far more fit for purpose as an 'adventure' bike than anything they've produced since! Limited use of plastic and you could effect running repairs/services with the minimum of fuss. Imagine risking a trip taking in a remote area, with a 1250 that was just out just out of warranty! You wouldn't do it would you? Well I wouldn't feel confident to. Let's face it, their product is pretty crap now (unless you simply intend to take it for gentle potters/commute/fill up the ginormous panniers at Tescos. But BMW are just brilliant at selling the image and convincing all those who buy them aren't they. I see them as they catch a view of themselves reflected in the plate glass shop windows in town - convinced that they are intrepid adventurers. Most have never left tarmac let alone even know what a TKC80 is! The only thing they are intrepid with is their relaxed attitude toward shedding dosh! From a business perspective, it's very clever use of design, styling and marketting. Brilliant thread this. :rolllaugh:rolllaugh

awwwww do you wish you had one ?
:hide

Back
Top Bottom