Returning member

ronecc

Reaction score
Hi. I have not been on here for a while. I used to own an R1100RT back in 1997-2006, then I swapped for the new R1200RT. I did not quite gel with the 1200 for some reason, it did not seem as sturdy as the 1100. I sold the 1200 a year later because I was building a house in Portugal. In 2010, when back in the UK, I purchased a second hand 1200RT, but again sold it after twelve months and bought a GS800. That was a great bike, but for reasons I will not bore you with I sold it. In 2018 I purchased a (Sorry) Harley Davidson Sport Glide, as now being 70 I thought I would just ride chilled as my wife could no longer ride pillion. However, she now wants to be on the bike again and hopefully, her hip will hold out. I am thinking once again of going back to an RT. I have seen a 2016 RT SE with 8k+ miles on it. Is there anything I should be looking for fault wise? It would have a 24 month warranty as it is from a dealer. Any info will help. Thanks.

Hi. I have not been on here for a while. I used to own an R1100RT back in 1997-2006, then I swapped for the new R1200RT. I did not quite gel with the 1200 for some reason, it did not seem as sturdy as the 1100. I sold the 1200 a year later because I was building a house in Portugal. In 2010, when back in the UK, I purchased a second hand 1200RT, but again sold it after twelve months and bought a GS800. That was a great bike, but for reasons I will not bore you with I sold it. In 2018 I purchased a (Sorry) Harley Davidson Sport Glide, as now being 70 I thought I would just ride chilled as my wife could no longer ride pillion. However, she now wants to be on the bike again and hopefully, her hip will hold out. I am thinking once again of going back to an RT. I have seen a 2016 RT SE with 8k+ miles on it. Is there anything I should be looking for fault wise? It would have a 24 month warranty as it is from a dealer. Any info will help. Thanks.

First thing I would say, is look for a LE not SE, the LE has all the toys, the SE doesn't. Only thing to be aware of, is ensure the exhaust flap in the headers is not seized, if from a dealer it should be ok. If seized it costs £1200 for new headers, or just leave it seized open. Its for noise, but throws a fault on the ecu when its plugged into the mothership. Loads of info about these flaps on the net.

First thing I would say, is look for a LE not SE, the LE has all the toys, the SE doesn't. Only thing to be aware of, is ensure the exhaust flap in the headers is not seized, if from a dealer it should be ok. If seized it costs £1200 for new headers, or just leave it seized open. Its for noise, but throws a fault on the ecu when its plugged into the mothership. Loads of info about these flaps on the net.
Thanks casbar.
The one I am looking at is an LE and does seem to have a lot on it. Is the flap a common fault then? This is what I am looking for, recurring problems that could be an expensive pest in the future, like the old brake servo problem.
The bike I am looking at is a main dealer and comes with 2 years warranty, but as yet I have not spoken to them to know what that covers.

Back
Top Bottom