Lowering a gsa lc with hyperpro springs

JonB

Wrangler
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to lower my 2016 gsa lc by fitting hyperpro 20mm lowering springs only, or would the shocks need modifying also? I have a standard height bike with lowering cams and an extra low seat but could do with a little more reduction. In hind sight i should have bought a lowered version but was offered this one at a good price off a friend.. I thought I would get used to it but with the weight and being vertically challenged i feel i would be more comfortable with lower shocks. I know i would have to lower the stands and would be happy to do so as i love the bike. Any input would be much appreciated :thumb
Cheers Jon

Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to lower my 2016 gsa lc by fitting hyperpro 20mm lowering springs only, or would the shocks need modifying also? I have a standard height bike with lowering cams and an extra low seat but could do with a little more reduction. In hind sight i should have bought a lowered version but was offered this one at a good price off a friend.. I thought I would get used to it but with the weight and being vertically challenged i feel i would be more comfortable with lower shocks. I know i would have to lower the stands and would be happy to do so as i love the bike. Any input would be much appreciated :thumb
Cheers Jon

You have man here call Denzo, easy job, but you must change centerstand and footstand also.

I think that you will need different shocks, Wilbers will build you lower shocks.

Worth considering Daytona M Star boots https://www.daytona.de/en/index.php?section=mediadir&cmd=detail&lid=1&eid=12

Worked for me:)

If you got it for a good price you could sell it and get what fits you better without taking a hit. biking enjoyment is all about confidence, get a lowered std GS and enjoy.
Buggering around with your existing bike is a pain in the arse, you will need to change the stands as well. you will then need to put it back to std if you sell it as most of the time if a bike is not as it left the factory people run away.

To the OP

What are these lowering cams you speak of, thats a first for me ;)

The original Hexhead had a std seat height of 830-850 if i recall

this could be lowered to about 820mm with a low seat.

Fitting a replacement set of Wilburs 30mm lowered suspension units enabled me to balls/ flat foot.

It did require me to shorten the centre & side stand by 30mm which gives an overall height of 790mm

Move to the new LC with factory lowered suspension, and i thought it was going to be a winner.

30mm lower from 820mm and were starting with 790mm.

Sadly no they made the frame & seat 60mm wider - 30mm each side :(

so even with the factory lowered suspension, stand & sidestand, your new lowered height is ...... 820mm WTF!

so absolutely no difference.

So it's get creative time

lowering bungs on the front of the seat give 5-10mm and a TT/ KH ultra low seat get you to about 790-800mm

(it comes with a cost though - the seat's not cheap, and the comfort, whilst ok, is not as good as i'd like)

it is still a tad to wide.

On the plus side, you can flat foot one side or the other, but you still have to be aware of road camber ;)

If your replacing the suspension with 30mm lowered unit's, you will more than likley have to lower the centre 7 side stand if doing it to a std height bike

also if you have ESA suspension, and you dont replace it like for like (esa active) you will get a warning light on the Kombi (dash)

If you got it for a good price you could sell it and get what fits you better without taking a hit. biking enjoyment is all about confidence, get a lowered std GS and enjoy.
Buggering around with your existing bike is a pain in the arse, you will need to change the stands as well. you will then need to put it back to std if you sell it as most of the time if a bike is not as it left the factory people run away.

I hear what you're saying but l will try and find a solution that helps me feel more confident. I cant be doing with the messing around of buying and selling at the moment and have become attached to it really. I appreciate the input����

The lowering cams are ( i think you have mentioned them as seat bungs) the plastic circles that fit on either side of the seat height adjuster. They are made with an offset hole for fitting which gives upto 10mm seat lowering. I feel your frustration with the seat height etc. I have also invested in a TT ultra low seat, (not so comfortable on the lower back and backside) this gives me more height reduction but i am still not as low as i would like. I am interested in trying the daytona boots or if there's someone with a factory lowered bike who would prefer a standard height bike and would want to swap all the necessary parts over Lol. ��

These are the seat heights for the LC GS

800mm - Extra Low / Low Suspension

820mm - Low Seat

850mm - Standard Seat

870mm - High / Comfort

890 mm - Extra High / Rallye Seat

So as you can see, the best you can get without esa is 820mm,

which is brilliant, but as i said, with your legs are spread 60mm more, you loose any gains

out of curiosity what is your inside leg?

I'm thinking of having a seat custom modded so i can gain the 60mm width loss back

These are the seat heights for the LC GS

800mm - Extra Low / Low Suspension

820mm - Low Seat

850mm - Standard Seat

870mm - High / Comfort

890 mm - Extra High / Rallye Seat

So as you can see, the best you can get without esa is 820mm,

which is brilliant, but as i said, with your legs are spread 60mm more, you loose any gains

out of curiosity what is your inside leg?

I'm thinking of having a seat custom modded so i can gain the 60mm width loss back

I get what you are saying with the reduction in height being wiped out with the extra width of the seat. A modification of the seat width would be interesting. I am a 29 " inside leg:thumb

I have a pair of the Daytona M Star boots but rarely wear them. They are an excellent boot (and I now use Daytona's Travel Star Pro) but I found 2 problems; firstly the extra thickness makes gear changes tricky unless you can adjust the lever position and secondly they are not good to walk in (important for me when touring) as the heels are higher than the toes so you are always sliding towards the toes and I found the toe-cap rubbing through the lining. They are a big investment so do try before you buy.

I have a pair of the Daytona M Star boots but rarely wear them. They are an excellent boot (and I now use Daytona's Travel Star Pro) but I found 2 problems; firstly the extra thickness makes gear changes tricky unless you can adjust the lever position and secondly they are not good to walk in (important for me when touring) as the heels are higher than the toes so you are always sliding towards the toes and I found the toe-cap rubbing through the lining. They are a big investment so do try before you buy.

I appreciate your input on the boots. I will defo try first. Would you be interested in selling yours maybe?
Cheers Jon

On the boot theme. I felt a lack of confidence maneuvering whilst sat on the bike and pushing with the feet. (31 inside leg) I have Alpinestars goretex boots.
The soles have little grip on them. I had Vibram soles fitted at a cobblers which gave a slight increase in height and extra grippyness.

I don’t know if the LC is different to the Hexhead but Denzo recently serviced my std shocks and fitted new springs to lower the bike by 25mm(same as a lowered frame version), bike seems fine with regards to sidestand but I will have to modify centrestand. Give him a ring/message, can’t hurt to have another option. I lowered mine for the same reason as you.

Al.

On the boot theme. I felt a lack of confidence maneuvering whilst sat on the bike and pushing with the feet. (31 inside leg) I have Alpinestars goretex boots.
The soles have little grip on them. I had Vibram soles fitted at a cobblers which gave a slight increase in height and extra grippyness.

The boot theme could definitely be a cheaper option. I am currently trying to find a local stockist of the Daytona (high heels). Many thanks for the info.
Cheers Jon

You could also try and find an old fashioned cobbler, who could add a thicker sole/ heel onto the soles of the boots that you already have. I'm like you, I have a low seat and the cymark lowering cam's on my 2015 GS.

I don’t know if the LC is different to the Hexhead but Denzo recently serviced my std shocks and fitted new springs to lower the bike by 25mm(same as a lowered frame version), bike seems fine with regards to sidestand but I will have to modify centrestand. Give him a ring/message, can’t hurt to have another option. I lowered mine for the same reason as you.

Al.

I am considering all options at the moment but my shocks are esa and from what i understand is i would have to replace the whole shocks as opposed to just smaller springs. Would prefer a cheaper option to this but need to do some more research i think. Thanks for your input Al:thumb
Cheers Jon

Back
Top Bottom