Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nav VI Weirdness

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Thanks for the reply.

As you can see points B thro’ G as points that you can select on start up to navigate to, I suspect that they are not unannounced ‘shaping points’ but are in fact announced viapoints, also known sometimes as, waypoints. Had you chosen point B as your destination - and then not done any skipping - I think everything should have been OK.

The skipping of announced viapoints / waypoints does (by its very nature) bring about a recalculation, which you cannot avoid. That the skipping process apparently took place late on in the route, may well start to explain why you (and not your friend) were rerouted to the end point. I think your friend did nothing more than skip differently and / or had the points as shaping points, where missing one or more out would have made no difference at all. There are entire threads on how skipping points works, as it’s a bit of a dark art, if you want to make it one.

The way the Nav VI works is very different to earlier BMW navigator devices. Its release also coincided with Garmin’s drive to pander towards people who do not want to create their own routes at all. My suggestion would be:

1. Keep on creating your own routes, preferably using BaseCamp.

2. Use announced shaping points to shape the route, rather than announced viapoints or waypoints.

3. Turn auto-recalculation to off or at least prompted. That way you retain control of the device, not the other way around.

4. Get used to how the skip button works. It confused the hell out of me at first.

I never used to use any mid-route points, other than shaping points. With better knowledge of how the powerful (but sometimes very dumb) Nav VI works and with a better understanding of how powerful BaseCamp can be, I now find I use intermediate announced points more.

One very good trick I learnt off this forum is how to start routes. I now use it quite often. It goes as follows:

Start point, A

Place an announced viapoint (not a shaping point) at say somewhere between a quarter and five miles from your start point, on a road you know you want to use.

Complete the rest of the route with shaping points only, unless that is there is some other point(s) you MUST pass through between the start and end points.

When firing up the route you will then be presented with just three choices of where to navigate to.

1. Your start point

2. The announced viapoint, that you placed a quarter or five miles away (use your common sense on where to place this)

3. The end point

Chose 2 and the route will run perfectly, all the way to the end. Made easier again if you have no announced via or waypoints between point 2 and the end, meaning you’ll have nothing to skip later in the day.

I hope the above is helpful. By all means come back if I have misunderstood something or if anything is unclear.

Richard

if you were at point A when you started the route what did the nav ask you to select? . because if it asked you to select point A you were not at the start (point A), and if you selected anything other than point A this may be why the problem occured. also if you chose to skip waypoints and go directly to the end point this may have caused your issue. The issue with the nav sticking to the route untill 2/3 distance after skipping points would likely be because your route up to the next point would be the quickest route as dictated by the nav settings.

Thanks again, for your responses.

This is making more sense now but as bits of the most recent ride come back to me I'm still curious about why, if the Start & Endpoints were the only waypoints (Flags) inserted into the route, did some of the shaping points, inserted using the pen in Basecamp, appear as orange flags along the route on my Nav but not on my mates? Are these converted to Viapoints?

I commented on this at the time to my mate via comms, as the blue bar across the top of the screen turned Orange on my Nav, yet didn't on his.

Additionally, he commented that as we approached the destination waypoint, he could see dozens of flags on his Nav yet mine showed just one??

Having re-watched the video tutorials in the Basecamp section, I'm thinking that what I'm doing is in line with his explanation.

Regards

Why the shaping points (blue dots) appeared as orange (announced viapoints) I have no idea. Though, when I read your words about using a pen, I guess you were creating the route directly in the Nav VI, when I thought your opening post said it was created in BaseCamp? Why they are blue dots on your friend’s device, I have no idea either.

I don’t create many routes directly within the device, but can easily assume that points dropped via a pen will, by default, created as announced viapoints (orange flags) and not simple blue dot shaping points. If this is indeed the case, then you can convert orange flags to blue dots (and visa-versa) from within the Nav VI itself.

The more I read of this thread, the more it points to operator error, rather than a specific Garmin glitch. That is nothing to be ashamed about at all, it is a tricky device to work, straight out of the box, as I know only too well.

Yes, I did create the route in Basecamp then transferred it to my Nav6. The route was then Bluetoothed from my Nav 6 to my mates Nav 6.

I agree it must be operator error but having used & shared routes on previous Garmin devices, over numerous years without issue, I'm perplexed as to what's going on & how to resolve it.

Your input is greatly received. Thanks

Aha, I see, the pencil was just a word for the ‘pointy thing’ in BaseCamp.

Without seeing the three routes, the one you created in BaseCamp, the one displayed on your Nav VI and the one displayed on your friend’s Nav VI, I think it is very hard to ascertain what went wrong or why.

My suggestion would be to create another route in BaseCamp, broadly similar to the route in question. Check it carefully and send it to your device. Then share it from there, by Bluetooth, with your friend. Then look at the results, comparing one device with the other. Then ride the route with your friend and see what happens. That will give you somewhere clear (and controlled) to start from.

All being well, we'll try it again at the weekend.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Excellent! Great to know that you (unlike some) are trying to understand the problem and not just discarding the expensive device and Garmin / BaseCamp as a load of crap. Let us know what happens, please.

I don't know which of several possible methods you use to create your routes in BaseCamp? Whichever method you chose, check when you 'use the pencil' - I assume to shape the route - whether the points left at the pencil's tip are unannounced shaping points (little blue dots) or announced viapoints (orange flags) when they appear on your Nav VI's screen. Also check how they display on your friend's Nav VI, after you have Bluetooth'ed the route over to him.

Richard
    Last edited by Wapping; 09-07-20 at 05:35. Reason: Brought thread back on topic

So, we tried a new route my mate had plotted, which was then Bluetoothed to my Nav.

With Auto-recalculate turned to 'Prompt' on my Nav & 'Off' on my mates, the only notable issue was mine prompting a recalculation within 100m of setting off, despite us both selecting the second, highlighted point in the list when pressing 'Go'.

One thing my mate mentioned was that the route we had issues with last week, which followed the route as plotted on his Nav but not on mine, changed on his Nav after he'd updated the installed map to 2021.10. to match how the route had appeared on my Nav during the ride.
    ???

Anyway, turning 'Recalculate' off is definitely the way forwards.

Many thanks!

Sounds like it’s all hunky-dory and tickety-boo now.

Excellent.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Mine was doing similar to this and the noticed when I was creating the route in Basecamp it was for a motorcycle, but when I plugged it into the bike it was in car mode. Kept it in bike for the bike and now routes as per my created route.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Case closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12