GS DIY rear wheel balancing

I have always used,
2 axle stands,
1 length of 25 mm bright round bar 400 mm long (fits the front wheel)
2 x 25 mm I/d bearings with the seals removed to stop any friction,
Machined a 2 piece adaptor with a 25 mm bore to locate in the rear wheel.

Make sure the tyre is properly fitted that the line is paralell to the wheel rim.

the rear wheel bolts straight on any car place's normal kit- 10 quid

I tried that in a place. They said they could not get it to work. Anyhoo. Best to do things your self.

I've used these before - https://www.dynabeads.co.uk/

Pour through the valve stem (valve removed first :) ) then they dynamically balance the tyre on the move.

They can be re-used if you take them out of the tyre on the next change.

From what I remember seem to work OK - have a look at the reviews.

Just to confirm, I'm not recommending either way, just giving you options.

I tried that in a place. They said they could not get it to work. Anyhoo. Best to do things your self.

you cant DIY correctly

wheels have both static and dynamic balance...
you can only get static balance DIY, the one that impacts it at around 62mph, the side to side wobble comes in to play at higher speeds and is most notable around 85 mph.... maybe that's what's knocking everyone's wheel bearings out

michedever station always do my back wheel on the car one... he even has to walk 30m to the device, but he recons its still much faster than the way he does the fronts

I always change my own tyres and balance them on a cheap eBay Static balancer. Never had problems. Also always changed on my track bike. At speeds above 170 without trouble. Once a weight came off at donington the vibrations were horrendous.

I managed to get away without balancing for the last 2 manual tire changes.

Not this time.. Vibration at 70mph.

Has anyone used one of those cheap balance machines on eaby and amazon on the rear wheel?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Motor...ocphy=1007871&hvtargid=pla-718851342638&psc=1

I have a mini lathe to make an adapter, but have no design ideas..

I bought one of these off fleabay. When it came the axle wasn’t true and I complained and was sent another that was the same. A third one came the next day as well and that was the same. I bought a 1m Bright bar and cut it into 3 and they work fine now.

I think the dynamic thing is a bit of a gimmick to be honest. At the speeds a GS travels at anyway. The fact I have not had to balance at all over the last few changes only adds to my theory.

IoM TT Dunlop use static balancers. The idea this is good enough for John McGuinness, Michael Dunlop and Peter Hickman, but not for someone on UKGSer is, how shall I put it, slightly dim?

nnbBC7t

Attachments

• tt tyres.JPG
    tt tyres.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 425
ok for bicycles...

If you are balancing any wheels wider than 4 Inch, you should always use a Dynamic weight program. The wider the wheel and tyres get, the more important it becomes. You should be counteracting rotational forces, both on a vertical plane and a lateral plane

ok for bicycles...

If you are balancing any wheels wider than 4 Inch, you should always use a Dynamic weight program. The wider the wheel and tyres get, the more important it becomes. You should be counteracting rotational forces, both on a vertical plane and a lateral plane

So is it that legendary racers don't use static balancers, or that they are missing something very simple?

So is it that legendary racers don't use static balancers, or that they are missing something very simple?

If what they were doing wasn't working they'd certainly feel vibes at 200+ MPH.

I've always done my own and never had a problem.

ok for bicycles...

Rubbish,

Just saying ;)

I asked them, got a detailed reply....

they do what they do to ensure its running dead true and there's nothing nasty with the wheel - so the checks they do are safety related not optimum balance.... lets watch the lap time improve when they now finish off checking it dynamically....

Here is another screenshot and I post the link to the YouTube video. Again it is of the Dunlop facilities at IoM TT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtPXO9pGuCQ

iom-dunlop.jpg

Note the caption: "The tyre and wheel are balanced by hand by experienced tyre technicians".

Watch the 2 minute video - bead broken, tyre changed, hand balanced. That's it

If the process has changed in the recent past then kindly post some evidence of that - a similar video or an email from a tyre manufacturer would probably be a good plan

Back
Top Bottom