I need to get a pair of those winglets.

£200 new, lightweight, sounds awesome.
Black stainless with carbon end cap.
Made in the UK.

Attachments

• 6EC31054-C9DD-43A9-BD6A-ABF98D1D1F04.jpeg
    6EC31054-C9DD-43A9-BD6A-ABF98D1D1F04.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 298
The only reason manufacturers fit a fugly heavy exhaust can is to pay homage to the after market opportunities.....while they still can. Of course H-D lost that debate a while back in the US & very expensive it proved to be. Across Europe many Countries are looking at anti-tampering & noise legislation, so it may well be that Euro 6 will incorporate this in some form, where a bikes emissions will be tested at MOT/TUV/ITV/roadside or whatever & will have to be within a certain percentage of the original V5 figures throughout the full service life of the bike.

As we all know, the odd kilo here & there is irrelevant, as is the extra 2 bhp at peak revs, so why are we so eager to buy expensive pipes when it's the fat b'stard riding the bike that has the most impact.

I honestly thought that manufacturers went to great lengths to make their bikes lighter without spending too much money on exotic meterials. Is there a suggestion that they deliberately put heavy exhausts on to pay homage to the after market? JJH

I honestly thought that manufacturers went to great lengths to make their bikes lighter without spending too much money on exotic meterials. Is there a suggestion that they deliberately put heavy exhausts on to pay homage to the after market? JJH

No, that’s clearly nonsense. The manufacturer’s use the least expensive production methods and materials they can get away with that won’t compromise the overall design aims too much. Hence an Oem exhaust can will have heavier mild steel internals and plated external parts rather than the more expensive lighter thin walled titanium used by Akrapovic for example.
Alan R

Good morning all. Well there was some good feedback and some not so good. FYI, I contacted NN and got the figures I was after. They indicated that the aftermarket pipes and collectors won’t save more than a couple of kilos over the original ones. This was not what I was expecting to hear. When I did the same exercise on my 2004 1150 GSA the weight saving, particularly the collectors, was significant. I’m not interested in what the bike sounds like or whether it’s easy on the eye so, I’ll stick with the original set up. I’ve been a fan of the GS for a long time but, have returned to the fold following a ten year sabbatical and I find the GSA has joined the pudding club. While I can handle it on a commute or Sunday run, I’m keen to start touring again and feel it’ll be unmanageable fully loaded with life support onboard (that’s not a euphemism for my wife), I guess it’s the price I’ll have to pay or look for a suitable alternative. Also, regarding rider weight, although I’m the wrong side of 50 I’m 88kg, I run ~30km/week, cycle frequently and can still bench my own body weight so, there’s no savings to had there but, thanks for the advice Pte Pile.

Back
Top Bottom