GETTING TO MULL

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at one night away from Glasgow and never been to Mull, the Oban ferry takes 45 mins and you need to check in at least 30mins before, is this best crossing or I notice you can use Corran ferry and cross at Lochaline ?
Any views

If time permits can you do this as a circular trip? I've done both, and the Lochaline crossing is very quick but it's a long drive. However Ardgour/Ardnamurchan is beautiful. Worth a peek at the Ardnamuchan lighthouse. I'm sure that's the most Westerly point of the UK Mainland?

I've been to Mull many times over the years. My in-laws had a house in Salen. I've used the Lochaline Fishnish ferry more often than the Oban to Craignure one. It's a much smaller boat and you just turn up and queue for it. It's also a fair bit cheaper.

There's also a boat from Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan across to Tobermory that runs in the summer months. The road from Saline to Kilchoan is a hoot if you like goat tracks.

HTH

Using both ferries would give you a good route and take you through some great country but check they are taking everyone again, there have been restrictions

Every time I've been it's been via Lochaline as it's only 15 minutes long. Be prepared for the roads to be a nightmare if things have opened up as it's pretty much all single track but it's one of my favourite places, people go on about Arran which did nothing for me compared to Mull.

been a couple of times and always done the Lochaline Fishnish ferry quick and cheap

another for lochaline to fishnish mind stop off at calgary bay :okay

If you’ve not done Oban to Craignure before, it’s well worth the extra time. If the weather is half decent, it’s a very nice trip.

There's also a boat from Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan across to Tobermory that runs in the summer months. The road from Saline to Kilchoan is a hoot if you like goat tracks.

Never been on such a roller coaster of a road where it seems there are no level and / or straight bits except where it's transitioning between the ups / downs - left and right turns. And then there;s the traffic lights at the lighthouse. The Wee Mad Road is fairly tame by comparison, IMO.

Corran, lochaline/ fishnish all the time. If your coming back try the Tobermory- Kilchoan boat.

Never been on such a roller coaster of a road where it seems there are no level and / or straight bits except where it's transitioning between the ups / downs

I know; it's great isn't it. :D I rode and drove it so often in the 90's and early 2,000's that I knew every bend, bump and patch of gravel off by heart.

I've posted on here about it before but I was coming back from Kilchoan, heading towards Saline on my own once, on the GS, when a guy in a pickup truck pulled out onto the road from the shellfish collection station at Laga.
He was obviously a local and made off at a good clip with me behind at a respectful distance. After about half a mile he indicated, stopped and waved me past. I pulled up alongside his open window and shouted, "No thanks, you're
doing a great job of breaking the trail." He grinned and buggered off at an increased speed with me making better progress behind than I probably had ever before on that road other than at night, in the car, when you can tell if there's
anything coming the other way.

Thanks, I'm planning Corran, Lochaline/Fishnish, any accomodation suggestions on Mull ?

Wild camping at Calgary bay or possibly the campsite at Fidden (if it's open) may be your only option at the moment but come the 15th hopefully others places may be available.

One thing to think about, the Oban ferry needs bookings for any bikes, only so many spaces for bikes. Whereas the Lochline ferry is a drive up and on, no booking required. Same with the Corran ferry...

I know; it's great isn't it. :D I rode and drove it so often in the 90's and early 2,000's that I knew every bend, bump and patch of gravel off by heart.

I've posted on here about it before but I was coming back from Kilchoan, heading towards Saline on my own once, on the GS, when a guy in a pickup truck pulled out onto the road from the shellfish collection station at Laga.
He was obviously a local and made off at a good clip with me behind at a respectful distance. After about half a mile he indicated, stopped and waved me past. I pulled up alongside his open window and shouted, "No thanks, you're
doing a great job of breaking the trail." He grinned and buggered off at an increased speed with me making better progress behind than I probably had ever before on that road other than at night, in the car, when you can tell if there's
anything coming the other way.

That would be the best way to do that road, it's mental.

Back
Top Bottom