Knee bend

The docs are very insistent that you do the exercises. That can be painful so they prescribe painkillers. Take them and do the exercises. You have to work through the pain and control it. Try an exercise bike or if you have a bike put it on a trainer. Start with the saddle high and slowly lower it to increase the bend. Putting the heel or toe on the pedal makes a difference. Start with the heel and then slowly slide the foot back to the toe to increase the bend. Hard work, manage the pain and you'll get there. Sorry, there are no shortcuts. Just been there.

The docs are very insistent that you do the exercises. That can be painful so they prescribe painkillers. Take them and do the exercises. You have to work through the pain and control it. Try an exercise bike or if you have a bike put it on a trainer. Start with the saddle high and slowly lower it to increase the bend. Putting the heel or toe on the pedal makes a difference. Start with the heel and then slowly slide the foot back to the toe to increase the bend. Hard work, manage the pain and you'll get there. Sorry, there are no shortcuts. Just been there.

Better find somewhere with a dance hall for next years trip Jim! You'll be jigging all over the place!

I totally agree with the advice given as regards to doing the exercises .
I my self have been in a similar situation regarding a very stiff knee joint after having my knee cap removed after a motorcycle accident mainly years ago.
I was in my early twenties when it happened ( now 60) the surgeon said I would make a full recovery due to my age .
Any way had the operation, in plaster for many weeks then when the plaster came off that's when the problems started.
My knee joint was rock solid no movement at all, I knew it would be a little stiff but not like this.
Any way after weeks of hydrotherapy there was still not mutch movement in the joint so the doctor's decided they would have to knock me out & manipulate the joint.
Any how had the manipulation done woke up leg packed in ice to keep the swelling down and from then on with lots of painful excersises performed by my girlfriend at the time and the hospital I got full movement back and have no problem at all with the knee.
So yes remember no pain no gain.

Ian.

I totally agree with the advice given as regards to doing the exercises .
I my self have been in a similar situation regarding a very stiff knee joint after having my knee cap removed after a motorcycle accident mainly years ago.
I was in my early twenties when it happened ( now 60) the surgeon said I would make a full recovery due to my age .
Any way had the operation, in plaster for many weeks then when the plaster came off that's when the problems started.
My knee joint was rock solid no movement at all, I knew it would be a little stiff but not like this.
Any way after weeks of hydrotherapy there was still not mutch movement in the joint so the doctor's decided they would have to knock me out & manipulate the joint.
Any how had the manipulation done woke up leg packed in ice to keep the swelling down and from then on with lots of painful excersises performed by my girlfriend at the time and the hospital I got full movement back and have no problem at all with the knee.
So yes remember no pain no gain.

Ian.

Agree with all of that except------if the knee has bad arthrofibrosis [scar tissue] or in other words has been badly abused for 50 years and is a bit of a mess before surgery, as mine was, it may be problematic. Scar tissue is an issue that inhibits range of movement and is hard to get rid of.
Some do it so easily without any problems, but if you are unlucky it is a bit harder. I worked bloody hard on it and have done my best. Have no pain, just a little short of bend and a little short of strength. Hoping that another year will fix it and that my very nice 1250GS becomes comfy again.

knees

What about a Triumph Speedmaster or America. or Harley.
I think Micky is a good example of how to get back to normal with 2 new knees.

All sounding familiar

I had similar problems! I did the same as you (lowered pegs and seat height on max), but also had my saddle made taller and recovered. You don't say how tall you are, but luckily it works well for me. Mine was not a knee replacement, but I do find that if I don't ride for a while then the bend is more of an issue, as someone else said, once you get it right I do feel that continuous use helps with bend.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

bmw sell a high comfort seat ,which is er higher and more comfortable!

Without hijacking the tread I'm waiting for two new knees and the surgeon has agreed to do them in tandem but how long, ball park, will I be out of action either on the GS or cycling. I never realised how many on the forum have had the job done.
Cheers G

3 months.

3 months.

i should say i had only the one done but if it goesas well for you as my one did i can't see why 3mths isn't achievable.
really have to work at the physio though and i had to inject myself in the midsection every day for 3 weeks to prevent blood clots.

Knee and back issues😩 Sold my 1200GS 3 years ago.

Last year again to the Alps on 2 wheels with all the camping gear. On a C650GS, hairpin fun again 😃

I have a C650 Sport which is a great bike.

It's a very substantial and well thought out tool.

You're welcome to try mine if you'd like to.

You definitely won't be tail end Charlie on a C650, it sounds, goes and rides very well.

The best of the biker community - a generous offer of help. Wish there were more examples of this sort of community spirit outside of our circle.

k1600 bagger

feet flat on the floor all day comfort and running boards for feet forward riding and fast as you like.p.s. i also have a 1250 gs and a left knee replacement.:beerjug::okay

Back
Top Bottom