Knee bend

REGS12

Reaction score
The new knee has settled at 100deg of bend, GS needs 110 to be comfortable. I've raised seat and bars and lowered pegs----still not good. So, not one to surrender
I'm trying to convince myself that a C650GT scooter with feet forward may be ok. I've not been able to find anyone that has done this and need a little reassurance. I think the two hardest things will be withstanding the rubbishing from my riding mates and the possibility of being tail-end: Charlie for the rest of my riding days. Some wise words would be very welcome.

Have you tried the adventure seat?

I just got one and can sit a bit further back or just move around the seat more to reduce knee angle

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.
Keep trying different bikes till find one that fits, and if all else fails H-D will have one.

The new knee has settled at 100deg of bend, GS needs 110 to be comfortable. I've raised seat and bars and lowered pegs----still not good. So, not one to surrender
I'm trying to convince myself that a C650GT scooter with feet forward may be ok. I've not been able to find anyone that has done this and need a little reassurance. I think the two hardest things will be withstanding the rubbishing from my riding mates and the possibility of being tail-end: Charlie for the rest of my riding days. Some wise words would be very welcome.

I have a C650 Sport which is a great bike.

It's a very substantial and well thought out tool.

You're welcome to try mine if you'd like to.

You definitely won't be tail end Charlie on a C650, it sounds, goes and rides very well.

Thanks SteveC10. I would love to have a go on yours except there is a slight problem with where I live! I need more reassurance like that because when I even mentioned it to a mate he called me names.

What would the need bend be on an Africa Twin as testing my mates it does feel further forward than the GS.

Keep working on the knee and it will bend more - my new knee only had 100 degrees for the first 18 months or so, lots of icing and physio and now it is at least 120 degrees so I can ride the GS without a problem.
I also have a c400f - great fun. Go for the scooter if that’s what you want - but don’t expect to be able to keep up with your mates most of the time, although they will still be surprised how fast it does go.

Having said that, there will be bikes out there that are comfortable - why not try a few more.

Keep working on the knee and it will bend more - my new knee only had 100 degrees for the first 18 months or so, lots of icing and physio and now it is at least 120 degrees so I can ride the GS without a problem.
I also have a c400f - great fun. Go for the scooter if that’s what you want - but don’t expect to be able to keep up with your mates most of the time, although they will still be surprised how fast it does go.

Having said that, there will be bikes out there that are comfortable - why not try a few more.

Thanks Moody. I'm at nearly 13 months and still have tightness issues. In last 6 months I've gained strength but not ROM. Sick of ice!

You will get there!
After 12 months I thought I would never be able to ride a bicycle or my motorbike again. But then it started to loosen up a bit.
For your info, I changed to a Ducati scrambler And a 700GS for a year when I could not ride the 1200 - the narrower seat meant the lack of bend in the knee was not so much of a problem.

if you are still doing your physio exercises take your painkillers 20mins before, definately helps. i tried a suzuki burghman, it was ok but if i was buying a scooter iwould try a tmax. i now have a vstrom 650 mainly due to the gs being too heavy for an old man. i have cymark footpeg lowering kit fitted and it's fine for my knee.

I have only 90 degrees on left after 5yrs, have standard height with 20mm lowering pegs, only have 29 inch inside leg but have done long days in saddle comfortable, I mean as much as 650 miles in a day comfy. Keep on with exercises you may get more good luck

Have you tried playing the numbers in www.cycle-ergo.com it's verry handy ;)

Without hijacking the tread I'm waiting for two new knees and the surgeon has agreed to do them in tandem but how long, ball park, will I be out of action either on the GS or cycling. I never realised how many on the forum have had the job done.
Cheers G

Back
Top Bottom