Recommendations for accommodation in or near Honfleurs, Normandy

Dartanion

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at taking a biking trip over to normandy early August and wanted to base ourselves close to Honfleurs - plenty of accommodation available but finding it difficult to find a place with secure parking - anyone know of any places worth checking out?

Cheers.

Moved to 'Accommodation'.

Richard

PS How 'secure' do you want the hotel's bike parking parking facilities to be? By their nature, most hotels worldwide cater for patrons who arrive by car, most of the guests being happy enough to park on the street or in a public carpark, if no hotel garage or parking area is available.

The exception to this rule of thumb are large hotels (large enough to warrant owning a large garage or parking area) or hotels in cold regions, as found when you going skiing where underground 'hotel owned' car parks are not uncommon. In Sweden, the hotels provide electricity to run car heating systems for guests who cars stop outside.

I think there is some sort of strange paranoia that enters bikers' heads about hotel security abroad, accompanied by vague 'secure parking' requests, as if the quality of the garage - and where an awesome steed is to slumber - outweighs the quality (or otherwise) of the hotel itself and anything else. Will you avoid staying in or near Honfleur if no 'secure' hotel can be found?

PPS A one second search on UKGSer turned up:

one of our trips last year was to Normandy. we stayed in a fantastic apartment in Honfleur called Le Salamadre,(link below) there where 5 of us and there's a 6 foot remote controlled electric gate to park behind with plenty of space so bike are 1000% safe. Spotlessly clean. run by a very elegant and helpful woman and ideal location for D-Day beeches. Its a bit trumpy in the harbour but an amazing place to stay.
Its about 4 1/2 hours from Calais on the 'twisties' (personally, I'd do this) or 2 1/2 on the M-way
I would HIGHLY recommend it.......

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/l-39-abris-cotier.fr.html

Whilst two seconds in Google, turned up:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...nfleur_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normandy.html

Thanks for the help Ricahrd, obviously other factors will be in play with regard to the place to stay but wanted to avoid having to park the bike out on the street or in public parking away from the hotel/B&B if possible and thought that others might be able to recommend some places to try - not essential that we are in Honfleurs but that's where my other half would like to be based.

PS - did you ever sell that tail bag for the S1000rr - still interested if not.

PPS - I did check Le Salamadre but no availability for early August

Thanks for the help Ricahrd, obviously other factors will be in play with regard to the place to stay but wanted to avoid having to park the bike out on the street or in public parking away from the hotel/B&B if possible and thought that others might be able to recommend some places to try - not essential that we are in Honfleurs but that's where my other half would like to be based.

PS - did you ever sell that tail bag for the S1000rr - still interested if not.

No problem.

The odd thing about UKGSer (and lots of published articles) is that bods are very happy to say in which town they stayed but are then very reluctant to say which hotel they chose or even why? I am not at sure what drives this reluctance to tell everyone. The great thing about Honfleur (and Normandy in general) is that there is lots of hotels to chose from. August (and the height of the French holidays) maybe being your biggest problem, perhaps?

If you want a bit of class, but still stay close to the Old Town then try La Maison du Parc. Not cheap but a superb setting.

Given the current situation accommodation won't be easy to find this summer, but it's simple enough to check availability with www.booking.com or similar.

No problem.

The odd thing about UKGSer (and lots of published articles) is that bods are very happy to say in which town they stayed but are then very reluctant to say which hotel they chose or even why? I am not at sure what drives this reluctance to tell everyone. The great thing about Honfleur (and Normandy in general) is that there is lots of hotels to chose from. August (and the height of the French holidays) maybe being your biggest problem, perhaps?

that hotel L'Ecrin looks very good but again booked up for the dates I wanted - looks like the availability is not too bad in general, just need to find one that best suits - just spoken to Le M Hotel and Spa and this seems to tick most of the boxes - secure parking and has a spa with indoor pool and according to the very nice French lady, they don't have any restrictions any longer for use of the pool or any of the facilities. Going to try the DFDS ferry to Dieppe as well to cut out the boring shlep down from Calais - what's not to like.

As a motorcyclist or driver my suggestion would be to stay in a Chambres d'hote that does Table d'hote, always good craic and no need to worry about drink driving. I have stayed in a few maybe 15 minutes inland from Honfleur and had great food and fun for a good price.

Easy to find lovely old farmhouses with no need to worry about your bike security.

Enjoy

If you want a bit of class, but still stay close to the Old Town then try La Maison du Parc. Not cheap but a superb setting.

Given the current situation accommodation won't be easy to find this summer, but it's simple enough to check availability with www.booking.com or similar.

Thanks, looks very nice and classy, but not available for my dates early August - I think I'd better sort out the booking at the spa hotel before I lose out.

Thanks for the help chaps, now booked at the M hotel and Spa in Honfleur - I’ll be sure to post our thoughts once we return to keep Wapping happy.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget the rode report, Stu. ;)

Back
Top Bottom