LEDs for an 1150GSA?

That’s great info L, what about the rear/brake light, any details on rear/brake light replacement. Many thanks Alan :beerjug:

This is great. LINKY

I fitted it following a series of brake light failures several years ago. Price has gone up a bit, seem to remember I paid about £35

So bit the bullet and changed from HID to LED. The ones Gabriel_GS used were currently unavailable (4000LM per bulb, 6500K), so I went for the newer, brighter version (9000LM, 6000K) which have a fan and cost £40. I needed to modify the metal bulb holder slightly so allow the notches to align, but no big deal with the Dremel. Also picked up some LED dust caps which slot straight over the top, leaving loads of space around it so the original ones are now superfluous. I also drilled a small hole on the underside to help with cooling. Replaced the stock connecters with waterproof bullet connectors and tidied everything up with cable ties. Looks good to me, but its too light right now to test them properly and the MOT is tomorrow... fingers crossed, and hopefully, they last!
71rx%2B7JeSvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I’ve just got some similar ones, what do I do with the plastic ‘screw cap’ that fits on the back of the light obviously the bigger bulbs mean the cap doesn’t fit back on -

Are they ok being exposed as such??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a spare, so I drilled the appropriate size hole as a test, I’ll see how it performs :beerjug:
I can’t remember what size of bulb the 1150 takes. Anyone able to confirm before I start delving through the books.

Ta.

That’s what I’ve done but weren’t sure if it could be exposed or not - the linky above is for some rubber boots, I may buy them and stick them over the top but that may defeat the object of the fan at the back!

It’s all complicated

The alternative for an 1150 is to go old school UKGSer farkle - Early 2000,s many an 1150 had these.

Just found a new unused set in my lock up - Mine were fitted by Greg Masters

Attachments

• 86D65C05-63BA-4AA1-9904-0DFF33A34BDA.jpg
    86D65C05-63BA-4AA1-9904-0DFF33A34BDA.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 191
I’ve just got some similar ones, what do I do with the plastic ‘screw cap’ that fits on the back of the light obviously the bigger bulbs mean the cap doesn’t fit back on -

Are they ok being exposed as such??

Mine have been exposed for eighteen months or so and have suffered no ill will so I think they'll be grand.

It’s OK to seal the light unit. The fan on the LED is only there to remove heat from the LED. The light unit is perfectly capable of sustaining the heat. After all incandescent bulbs chuck out loads of heat, which the unit is designed to sustain.

Leaving it open is OK, but risky. You need to consider how you wash your bike, and where the danger are from water entering the light unit. Water will remove the Chrome reflective internals of a light unit quickly rendering it useless. Which could be an expensive mistake.

I made some adapter collars using 68mm O/D rain water down pipe. And the 65mm rubber caps you can buy off eBay. Cut some slots in the tubing to clear the locking tabs. Silicon the adapter in place. Fit rubber cap. Simples.

:thumb
Ian

The LEDs are water-resistant if I recall, but as Ian points out, you should probably worry more about the ingress of water/dust etc., into the headlamp itself and the effects on the reflective internals. The caps I purchased slotted over the back of the unit and provide ample space for the fans without any modification. The larger circumference rings simply act as additional protection and the tabs on the light keep the cover in place. It may not be a perfectly tight seal, but it is definitely better than nothing!

Just wondered, how is the beam using these LED's?

Have you found that even though you get a nice white light, instead of the crappy yellow, that the overall beam is good when at night?

Hid's are an MOT failure,

for motorbikes it's if and only if they are fitted to headlamp unit's they are not approved for

Hid's are meant to be in self leveling headlight's units fitted with a wash

& or wash wipe system to prevent glare to other road users.

So if you retrospectively fit them to your bike, technically there not approved for a boggo reflector lamp unit hence the fail

But it says nothing about LED, other than they are legal as a light source

So Hid no ... LED yes

Mine passed last Friday with HID's fitted and no self-levelling.

If you are correct Santa it seems the rule is not being enforced consistently.

It’s down to interpretation - for con and use regs hid must have self levelling system.....

However the testing requirements merely state that if a self levelling system is fitted it must be working.

Another fail point would be headlamp pattern which may be way off
c7f89732ee48d4ec8f17cf7c4b16882c.jpg

While searching for types of H1 LED headlight bulbs, I see some companies make a ‘Projector’ type bulb instead of the ones shown in the thread that emit light sideways.

Any better for our bikes?

Patria o Muerte

For those that have installed the LED bulbs, how much better are they over good quality bulbs such as the Osram Night Breakers or Philips DiamondVision?

Back
Top Bottom