Horse power query

garytong

Reaction score
Hello knowledgable gentlemen of the BMW GS peruasion.
A question.
What is the max power of a 2012 GSA? I have a French registered 1200GSA, which according to the GS911 is 79Kw (+/-100BHP). Does a UK 1200GS pump out more? I have seen several sites listing various HP figures (am now confused). I know France has a 100BHP maximum for bikes, hence the 79Kw. Purely hypothetically, and asking for a friend, IF the GSA puts out significantly more power as a Brit registered bike, how would one go about 'de-restricting' it? If it's 5bhp it's hardly worth it, but 10 to 15.......well..... Hypothetically of course.
Thanks in advance kind people.

Hexhead 105bhp claimed
TC 110bhp claimed.

You can get better driveability/fuel consumption if you replace the headers/decat, then an end can, stick with standard air filter and good quality spark plugs.

Around 100bhp at rear wheel.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

UK GSA doc states 81kw.

Not much in it?

EDIT: Just clicked onto a Kw to BHP calculator.
81Kw is apparently 109bhp
79Kw is apparently 105bhp

So Tractors is spot on

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi

79Kw was 106 cv (metric horsepower) to conform to the French law which was lifted on the 1st Jan 2016

As stated above, the best a hex head made was 110 claimed, with the loss through the shaft drive BMW probably didn’t even need to restrict them

You could probably have your bike derestricted, on the LCs it’s just a remap, but you’ll have to pay for a new carte grise and you’ll gain absolutely nothing

Also be aware that only max power was restricted, which occurs at 7750 rpm, which is not generally where you ride a GS

Tractors, Slipperville and Leadfarmer, awesome, thanks for the info and good info too. I have an AF-XieD ready to fit when the tanks empty, so i'll suck it and see.
but again, many thanks guys.

Hexhead 105bhp claimed
TC 110bhp claimed.

You can get better driveability/fuel consumption if you replace the headers/decat, then an end can, stick with standard air filter and good quality spark plugs.

Around 100bhp at rear wheel.

Interesting, done 135K miles on mine, not really concerned about getting there any quicker anymore, but how many litres would I have saved over that distance? had I done the above mods.

Interesting, done 135K miles on mine, not really concerned about getting there any quicker anymore, but how many litres would I have saved over that distance? had I done the above mods.
If, you continue to ride as you did previously 4-5 mpg better, or around 10% more.

However, as most just ride slightly faster now you probably stay the same.

I certainly noticed, that 2 up and fully laden, not only was I usually a gear higher than before, but it accelerated better and was smoother.

Tractors, Slipperville and Leadfarmer, awesome, thanks for the info and good info too. I have an AF-XieD ready to fit when the tanks empty, so i'll suck it and see.
but again, many thanks guys.

do you need the tank off to fit them?

If, you continue to ride as you did previously 4-5 mpg better, or around 10% more.

However, as most just ride slightly faster now you probably stay the same.

I certainly noticed, that 2 up and fully laden, not only was I usually a gear higher than before, but it accelerated better and was smoother.

Thank you, exhaust has never been off, that task would be no fun now 13 years of Welsh cowshit, and a lot of winter riding has not been kind to only one of the header/head bolts but in the eventuality it does come off I will consider doing something with it. The potential saving would have paid for a shiney pipe of one kind or another, or a nice trip someplace.

Back
Top Bottom