Possible wheel swap

Speedy1959

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first technical post (Though I did introduce myself about a month ago before I got my bike)..

I have a 2015 R1200GS TE with 16,600 miles on it.
The one thing I am not so crazy about are the spoked wheels.
I am giving serious thought to swapping these for some Graphite coloured alloys.
My bike will NEVER be going off road so I dont need the extra strength of the spoked wheels.

What I would like to know is:
1. Assuming the used wheels I buy have no discs then are the discs on my spoked wheels the same as the discs on Alloy wheels?
2. The wheels I have, do have the TPMS fitted... I can live without that if I have to. If I put alloy wheels on WITHOUT TPMS then can that aspect be deleted / switched off either at a dealership or via the 911GS device?

Lastly, if anyone is interested in doing a straight swap then I may well be interested...BUT

No dings or dents on your wheels !! Mine are totally unmarked.
No Bald tyres on yours!! Mine Have Michelin Pilot Road 4 on both wheels. The front is about 600 miles old and the rear is about 2,700 miles old.

Your thoughts please on questions 1 & 2

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Answer Yes and Yes, just change the TMPS over onto the new wheels. If they are like the Hexhead ones you will need a set of wheel bolts for the alloys because they are different length to the spoked wheel ones.

Hi All,
This is my first technical post (Though I did introduce myself about a month ago before I got my bike)..

I have a 2015 R1200GS TE with 16,600 miles on it.
The one thing I am not so crazy about are the spoked wheels.
I am giving serious thought to swapping these for some Graphite coloured alloys.
My bike will NEVER be going off road so I dont need the extra strength of the spoked wheels.

What I would like to know is:
1. Assuming the used wheels I buy have no discs then are the discs on my spoked wheels the same as the discs on Alloy wheels?
2. The wheels I have, do have the TPMS fitted... I can live without that if I have to. If I put alloy wheels on WITHOUT TPMS then can that aspect be deleted / switched off either at a dealership or via the 911GS device?

Lastly, if anyone is interested in doing a straight swap then I may well be interested...BUT

No dings or dents on your wheels !! Mine are totally unmarked.
No Bald tyres on yours!! Mine Have Michelin Pilot Road 4 on both wheels. The front is about 600 miles old and the rear is about 2,700 miles old.

Your thoughts please on questions 1 & 2

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I would be looking for some cash as well as a swap. Spoked wheels are generally more expensive. I have a set of spoked as new wheels fitted with origional tyres removed from my 2019 1250 GSA and I have considered selling them but still undecided, bear in mind they only covered 600 miles from new and front disks are still attached and I would be looking for £1800 plus delivery if I ever sold them. I removed them as I fitted custom stronger wheels.

It all depends on age and tyre condition and whether discs are included etc. I personally would source a good second hand set of wheels and then fit to my bike and put it back to spoked wheels when selling. My local dealer told me he would not buy a GSA unless it had its original or spoked wheels on it.

I have swapped my wheels, but went from graphite (standard) to black (powder coated). I am quite local to you and I do have the TPMS tool if you want to borrow it. Apparently the batteries in the wheel sensors only last around 5 years so you may want to consider that job too.

It's easy to program the new wheels to the bike with a GS-911 and a TPMS tool (took 5 mins and was quite intuitive)

Altho the cast wheels are cheaper than spoke, the cast seem to be in greater demand (I guess the old "spokes coming loose" issue) so if you bid on ebay for instance the cast wheels fetch just as much as the spoked ones I believe (last time I checked when I was buying my black wheels). I guess there are more people with spokes that fancy cast than there are people with cast that fancy spoked!

I sold my almost new cast ones, for £750 IIRC (with decent tyres, and only 4000 summer miles so minted), I had a lot of interest so could probably have asked for more...

I should add if you buy them separately, when I was looking there are a lot more rear wheels on ebay than fronts... logic I guess!

Sapphire Motorcycles in Staveley (just N of Kendal) do a great job at tyre fitting and balancing, good price and really genuine guys...

Thank you Martin.
I may well take you up on your kind offer.
Where are you located?
I am on my phone just now so the details of members doesn’t show like it does on my PC.
Thanks again,
S.

Front cast wheels get damaged due to pot holes etc, so you will find there are more rears than fronts.

Also there are a number of cast wheel for sale that are not quite true on eblag

Spoked wheels are a pain to clean but are stronger and look fab.

Front cast wheels get damaged due to pot holes etc, so you will find there are more rears than fronts.

Also there are a number of cast wheel for sale that are not quite true on eblag

Spoked wheels are a pain to clean but are stronger and look fab.

Thank you for that...
I have only had the bike 3 weeks and so I suppose i should live with the wheel cleaning regime for a while before definitely deciding to swap to Alloy wheels.

Thanks again,

S

Back
Top Bottom