Service

On the brake fluid point, just had my 12k service on the 1250GS and the brake lever feel was greatly improved, the brakes were good before the service but now there is much less movement at the lever.

I think my 6k service was about the £220 mark and the 12k was £350

Not a case of distrust, more a case of i need to get what im paying for. The only person i trust to do it is myself. But because of warranty i have to let stealer do it otherwise it would be me and i know id do it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case you could take it to a dealer of your choice ... It doesn't have to be a BMW dealer !

In that case you could take it to a dealer of your choice ... It doesn't have to be a BMW dealer !

Well i would, but i happen to know there is a software update and I don’t think the local bike place can do it. AFAIK its a dealer thing only.

My dealer advised against having the update as it had caused problems with some bikes afterwards, that were fine before. Their advice was if there are no issues, and mine hasn’t, then don’t bother.

Mines in at Barrie Robson York on the 21st. Quoted £250 including brake fluid change. I’m a bit pissed off as it’s only done 1200 miles due to personal circumstances!!!! Tried to sort something out with them but got the old “warranty requirements “ stuff. Be interesting to see what others charge up and down the country.

Just had my first annual on my XR done at Barrie Robson's (3000miles) and they forgot to do the brake fluid change. When challenged they said it was not necessary nowadays, used to be done to get bikes aligned after the first year as they didn't know how long the bike have been standing around.. Nowadays bikes don't sit around at dealers, straight from factory to punter. Still think it's Bollocks.

Service cost without brake fluid was £220 and they didn't deduct the labour for NOT doing the brake fluid change.
Next service will be at Alan Jeffries South methinks.

Mind you on my 2020 Ducati the Brake fluid isn't changed until 36 months, no mileage restriction.

My dealer advised against having the update as it had caused problems with some bikes afterwards, that were fine before. Their advice was if there are no issues, and mine hasn’t, then don’t bother.

Maybe coz TFT take 3 hours and he have no time, LCD take 15 minutes and is free.

'Not a case of distrust, more a case of i need to get what im paying for. The only person i trust to do it is myself. But because of warranty i have to let stealer do it otherwise it would be me and i know id do it correctly.'

Dellboy I feel your scepticism.

Taken after a Kia main dealer service which supposedly included and was charged for a brake fluid change:

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 195
Third service with update to tft and bike picked up and brought back £159.71..Williams Manchester

They were probably just relieved it was only a service and not the usual long list of recall items to work through :)

Or because i am shagging the service lass. :p

Well i would, but i happen to know there is a software update and I don’t think the local bike place can do it. AFAIK its a dealer thing only.

You could have just had the update done at your dealer and you service elsewhere :rolleyes:

You could have spent the time waiting for the update telling them what an untrustworthy bunch you feel they are whilst not forgetting to fill your empty flask with coffee and pockets with courtesy biscuits :thumby:

You could have just had the update done at your dealer and you service elsewhere :rolleyes:

You could have spent the time waiting for the update telling them what an untrustworthy bunch you feel they are whilst not forgetting to fill your empty flask with coffee and pockets with courtesy biscuits :thumby:

Unfortunately no refreshments because of this feckin covid nonesense.

'Not a case of distrust, more a case of i need to get what im paying for. The only person i trust to do it is myself. But because of warranty i have to let stealer do it otherwise it would be me and i know id do it correctly.'

Dellboy I feel your scepticism.

Taken after a Kia main dealer service which supposedly included and was charged for a brake fluid change:

If a dealer uses the same system & method in which the fluid is filled at the factory, that is what you would expect to see.

A modern car spends about 2-5 minutes in each assembly operation whilst it's being built, time literally is money ;)

Opening nipples on a caliper and pumping fluid through is 1960's methodology, needs two men and a shit load of time

The modern way is to pull a vacuum in the system ,

a) To evacuate any air or old fluid thats in the system, & check for leaks- if it doesn't hold a vacuum it has a leak

b) When they release the vacuum, it pulls fresh fluid back into the system, with no air to bleed.

That way they dont need to worry about cracking bleed nipples -

Just look at the fluid colour, straw coloured and clear -new fluid , black or dark, old fluid

1. The service paperwork also indicated that a brake fluid moisture reading had been done with a % figure. Why if you are replacing the fluid?
2. When taken up with the dealership manager he stated the allowed 45 mins for a fluid change. Seems they have not got the equipment you describe.
3. In theory you create a vacuum at either the master cylinder or bleed nipple end to pull the fluid from the other end. I don't see that you can create a vacuum and pull fluid into the system from the same point.

2 year old vehicle there will not be much contamination. My experience of old fluid is that the main contamination sits in the pipes.

Back
Top Bottom