Which GSA Replacement Seat Cover - standard OEM seat

HTB

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience replacing their seat cover on a standard red/grey R1150GSA?
Are these any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174273311478
or should I use something else?
Looking to replace and replicate OEM and dont want to buy something rubbish.

Thanks,

H

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 245
Mines split, so i will be following this cheers wayne.

My Volcano cover arrived last week after submitting an offer for it - only £10 less than listed, but better than nothing. The shipping details showed arrival by September the 2nd, so this being a five or six weeks after the purchase it though to myself 'oh fu...!' It arrived after a week.

I've not fitted it yet, but stripped my saddle and compared the cover (the dark grey one) with the original. Its slightly darker, but then the original cover had been given a significant scrubbing in the last few weeks with bleach and cleaning products as I tried to get it clean - its also 17 years old. The new material seems exactly the same - the only difference I can see is the small Volcano tag attached to one of the seams, near the back of the saddle. Very happy with the OEM feel of the new cover. The photos show a bit of dust from my workbench on the cover...

Old cover came off really easily, with a screwdriver used to lever off the staples. Over the weekend will try and get the new cover fitted - instructons are simple - start at the front, make sure its centred on the seat and staple in to place.

Move to back and stretch cover over, make sure centred and staple. Then carefully work around the sides. Friday's expected 32degrees of heat would be a good day to try and fit it, but in any event will try and make sure its as warm as possible so I can get it really tight. Will let you know how it goes. What could possibly go worong?!

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3734.jpg
    IMG_3734.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3739.jpg
    IMG_3739.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 165
looking forward to the results have fun fitting it, good tips on the fitting cheers wayne

So, finished the covering today. The Volcom seat cover is excellent and has the OEM look and feel. Very happy with it.

Things to bear in mind:-

You need a staple gun and the correct size staples. The staples are wide and shallow. 10mm by about 5mm. too long, ands then can punch through the fabric (this is bad). You can also feel them under the cover and I suspect that if you have too many pies, the staples may poke through over time and attach saddle to your leg.

A large hand stapler works fine and you can do the job with it, BUT, its really difficult to get the staples into the right place unless your stapler has a 'pointed nose'. The normal stanley staplers are very flat and you can't get into the channel, particulalry around the back of the seat (see photo). I ended up borrowing a pneumatic staple gun from my local (tame) trimming shop. it feels like i cheated a bit, but i wanted to get it spot on.

Stretching the cover into the right place is time consuming and tiring. My hands still ache. Stretch, stretch and then be ready to stretch it all again. I ended up fixing the front seam in the right place before pulling the cover over the back of the seat - doing it this way isn't quite what the instructions say or how I started out. If things go wonky, just unpick the staples and start again.
Results below:

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3940.jpg
    IMG_3940.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3939.jpg