S1000XR gearing

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I haven’t ridden the newest version of the S1000XR but one thing that seems consistent from whichever side of the fence that you are on is that the new version does not seem as lively as the old one. Has anyone changed the gearing on the first version, either 1 tooth up at the gearbox sprocket or 3 teeth down at the rear wheel? If so, what are your impressions on performance, fuel consumption, etc.

I haven’t ridden the newest version of the S1000XR but one thing that seems consistent from whichever side of the fence that you are on is that the new version does not seem as lively as the old one. Has anyone changed the gearing on the first version, either 1 tooth up at the gearbox sprocket or 3 teeth down at the rear wheel? If so, what are your impressions on performance, fuel consumption, etc.

Yes, I did it to my 2015 XR in conjunction with dumping the Cat, putting on a full Ackrapovic system, fitting a PC5 and having her properly tuned. All in all a huge difference to the bike.

The smaller rear sprocket alone would certainly have made her less “revy”.

My bike now pulls like a train from very low revs and the fuel economy has certainly improved.

I hope this helps and I cannot see a downside to just changing the rear sprocket - although I have heard people caution against changing the front one.

Yes indeed, this has helped :beerjug: How many teeth did you change to on the rear wheel sprocket?

I thought the new one made the same BHP/ torque, so don’t quite understand how some seem to think it’s not as lively?

Yes, I think you are right, but I’m sure that I read “somewhere” that the new evolution of the S100XR has longer gearing?

It does indeed have longer gearing in 4th, 5th and 6th.

I test rode it for a few hours a couple of weekends ago, both solo and with the missus on the the back. Comparing it to my 2017 model I felt that I needed to drop it to 5th on some occasions where I would have stayed in top on mine. Two-up it did seem to have a little more torque.

I didn't like the seat. Too shaped and slightly vibey. Also the cornering lights were a waste of time (yes I took it out in the rain at 10pm to test them!).

Overall not much of a difference at all.

Andy

Just rev it it’s a 4 cylinder that revs. I have a full arrow system and ecu remap. Economy is better and the midrange is stunning now! top is end excellent and no vibrations. Why change the gearing ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom