Valve Clearance

Auwyn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
‘Sup hive mind.

Just had a couple of goobers come look at my bike. As expected, there was much chin rubbing, head shaking and tutting and one of them asked about when the valve clearances had been checked because he was a mechanic and could tell they need checking.

So from my meagre internet searches, dodgy valve clearances would lead to start up problems and power issues when riding. Neither of which apply to my bike. My suspicion is they were just trying it on, but what *would* incorrect valve clearances sound like when idling?

‘Sup hive mind.

Just had a couple of goobers come look at my bike. As expected, there was much chin rubbing, head shaking and tutting and one of them asked about when the valve clearances had been checked because he was a mechanic and could tell they need checking.

So from my meagre internet searches, dodgy valve clearances would lead to start up problems and power issues when riding. Neither of which apply to my bike. My suspicion is they were just trying it on, but what *would* incorrect valve clearances sound like when idling?

Sounds like bollocks.
Modern motors with overhead cams ,if anything would suffer from the clearances closing up.the first noticeable symptom would be loss of compression when cold,and hard starting.
There would be no audible way of telling.
Try putting another advert on here,
At least you won’t have to suffer too many chancers

Just tell him that if he’s a good enough mechanic to know they need checking it won’t take him long to do the job :D

Years ago you’d get a bit of a rattle from the top end but these days it’s more often that the clearances close up hence the loss of power and difficulty starting the bike bit that sounds unlikely if it’s running well enough. I’ve got to admit that without a bit of history saying when they were last checked I’d probably suggest to a seller that I’d want to have them checked as part of a full service when we were talking price but if you’re happy and you’ve got a set price you won’t go below don’t be brow beaten by a chancer.

Back
Top Bottom