How I enabled/coded a factory alarm on my R1250GS

d146895x

Reaction score
My Bike is a 2018 R1250GS with all the bells & whistles except for a factory alarm. The attached document explains how I was able to get the job done. It involves BMW E-Sys software and an Enet cable. Earlier models may require different software/cables. I did something similar on my 2011 R1200GS using the Motoscan app (android).

PDF version
http://johnbailey.ddns.net/enabling_the_alarm.pdf
Microsoft word version
http://johnbailey.ddns.net/enabling_the_alarm.docx

Hope it helps someone out.

I haven't checked the R1250.
Older model connectors do not rely on Ethernet pins.
CAN communication was introduced in 2017.
It is different in older models.
BMW E-Sys software and an Enet cable does not work because there is no connection.
I would like to say that this is the case with the R1250gs, because the communication is also based on the CAN bus.
I wasted 3 days finding the alarm, software, cable, installation and trying to connect.

Sorry for my english.

I haven't checked the R1250.
Older model connectors do not rely on Ethernet pins.
CAN communication was introduced in 2017.
It is different in older models.
BMW E-Sys software and an Enet cable does not work because there is no connection.
I would like to say that this is the case with the R1250gs, because the communication is also based on the CAN bus.
I wasted 3 days finding the alarm, software, cable, installation and trying to connect.

Sorry for my english.

CAN was first introduced in 2006 on the hexhead models The wetheads currently use CAN & LIN bus

I have the R1200gs LC ADV triple black, manufactured on 09/09/2016 - this is the model for 2017.
At that time, EURO 4 was introduced for the first time on the GS and the socket was changed to OBD2.
Below I have marked the active pins in moin R1200gs. There are only pins for the CAN bus.

L8RRW70

https://ibb.co/L8RRW70

It is impossible to connect via the ENET cable, because there are no pins: ETHERNET RX +, RX- TX +, TX-.

HOW did I do?
-I bought a used DWA driver number 77 53 8 554 348 (it is the same as in the R1250GS) for 44EUR.
-I bought 2 x CR123 batteries of very good quality 8.8 EUR.
-I have installed a DWA driver on my R1200GS.
-Two days of fighting with the ENET and E-SYS cables to no avail.
-I visited my local BMW Motorad dealer by the way.
The mechanic coded the alarm. Time 45 minutes, cost 54 EURO. Taken without waiting.
Now I am enjoying the alarm on my R1200gs.

Conclusions.
-There is a big saving - the dealer requires 340 EUR (module + assembly + coding).
-Not worth being a hacker for 54 EUR.
-It may be different in other models.

Thank you for the forum, wide knowledge, without you I would not have an alarm.
Sorry for my english.

Hi John,

the links to the manual (PDF/word) are dead. Could you provide me with the manuals/ working link?

Als, do you have a GS with TFT? Which DWA did you use, I'm seeing differrent versions/partnrs.

Cheers!

Hello guys, Who can repost the files to enable the alarm, the links are dead. Thanks a lot

Doesn't look like it requires an enablement code so you can probably just use ISTA+ to code it to the bike

I need to use Esys because Ista+ failed to update my 1250 gsa TFT and now it seems to be dead I've a black screen. If someone have allready update the TFT by Esys, he will be welcome. I've ista+ and Esys on my computer.

I need to use Esys because Ista+ failed to update my 1250 gsa TFT and now it seems to be dead I've a black screen. If someone have allready update the TFT by Esys, he will be welcome. I've ista+ and Esys on my computer.

e-sys can update all the modules in the bike, including the TFT.

e-sys can update all the modules in the bike, including the TFT.
I'm new in bmw coding and if someone Can tell me how to flash the TFT firmware with Esys It would be Nice. I have not find any tutorial about that. I've an ICOM+ ethernet.

I've the connection between my laptop and the Icom. I Can read some infos.

I'm new in bmw coding and if someone Can tell me how to flash the TFT firmware with Esys It would be Nice. I have not find any tutorial about that. I've an ICOM+ ethernet.

I don't understand why ISTA+ would have caused an issue with your TFT, unless it was not installed correctly. Do you have a genuine ICOM or a Chinese clone? I would not be trying to update the TFT with a clone ICOM as they can overheat.

You would be better off paying someone to dial into your PC and assist you with e-sys if you are not familiar with it

Here would be a start but still think you would be better off paying someone to do it for you

Any unit fits your bike

Installed alarm on my R1250GS Rallye TE 2019 today.

Purchased random DWA from ebay and after some fideling this evening, managed to get it all installed and done in under 2h, most of the time was training myself to use E-Sys and this forum was very helpfull.

Alarm from S1000RR (£34.10) ebay
Wiring for E-Sys (£9.99) ebay
E-Sys is free from google.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom