Can I ride or not?

RSInterloper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for what should be a single straightforward answer to this question :rob

Whilst our colleagues in Engerland have been merrily riding their bikes for "recreational purposes" for some weeks now, as far as I can make out here in Wales we are still restricted to "essential travel only", although those essential journeys can now be more than 5 miles.

Judging by the number of cars on the road there must be a heck of a lot of "essential travel" going on :blast

I still see very few bikes out and about though.

With the weather improving again it would be really nice to just go for a ride - or would a trip to Fowlers in Bristol to eye up some Guzzis count as "essential" ?

Anyone know for sure what the position is?

Just get out and ride, it's essential for your mental health.

Don't let Charlie Drake spoil your riding fun, he's now said Wales is safe.

Your allowed to book holiday accomodation in Wales now.

Looking for what should be a single straightforward answer to this question :rob

Whilst our colleagues in Engerland have been merrily riding their bikes for "recreational purposes" for some weeks now, as far as I can make out here in Wales we are still restricted to "essential travel only", although those essential journeys can now be more than 5 miles.

Judging by the number of cars on the road there must be a heck of a lot of "essential travel" going on :blast

I still see very few bikes out and about though.

With the weather improving again it would be really nice to just go for a ride - or would a trip to Fowlers in Bristol to eye up some Guzzis count as "essential" ?

Anyone know for sure what the position is?

I believe you can , so me and a mate did this very day. Just got back after a great day out around North Wales and the coast . The sun was shining , the beaches were pretty empty , few speedboats and jet skis on the water. Had fish & chips on the beach at Aberdfyi just south of Tywyn. Quite a lot of bikes about , plus a noticeable police presence around Bala on the way back home. Not much open in Bala itself.

I went to the Brecon Beacons today. Hay, Talgarth for fish 'n' chips then past Llangorse Lake and over Llangynidr mountain into Crickhowell. First time seeing some proper mountains rather than the Malverns & Cotswolds for months.

As others say, people are allowed to stay in self catering accommodation so travel for tourism is allowed now. There were loads of people on top of Llangynidr mountain.

Attachments

• 2020-07-11 13.35.44.jpg
    2020-07-11 13.35.44.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 2020-07-11 14.28.17.jpg
    2020-07-11 14.28.17.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 401
The essential travel only and 5 miles ruling has gone as of Monday 6th July.

50 miles on the bike on Monday around Brecon

350 miles on Thursday in a van up to Mikeyboy

350 miles yesterday in the car upto London and back.

Typically, the first "legal" opportunity to ride up to mid wales was a little bit spoiled by the fact that the powers that be decided now was a good time to "re-surface" the main roads north of Brecon!!!
Still worth it thought fantastic roads and scenery!

Typically, the first "legal" opportunity to ride up to mid wales was a little bit spoiled by the fact that the powers that be decided now was a good time to "re-surface" the main roads north of Brecon!!!
Still worth it thought fantastic roads and scenery!

yes, lots of closed roads today - Talgarth to Crickhowell was closed so I had to detour via Llangorse & Bwlch, but it did mean I got to Crickhowell by detouring over Llangynidr mountain shown above. Been a while since I saw that view. I usually visit earlier in the year when the May blossom is out as there is quite a forest of the stuff. Much the same this side of the Severn but most closures are at night.

Did 50 plus miles in N. Wales around the vale of Clwyd and the dee valley. Only issue was when we joined the road that passess the Ponderosa, then the power rangers came out.

Good news I remembered Timolgra had suggested a route over to the quarries from the Ponderosa, small single track and not an R1M in sight, karma returned.

Does anyone know when the B&B's open up ? Im booked on a Triumph Adventure day in Ystradgynlais on 15th August and could do with an overnight stop on the 14th. (I know self catering are open, but had a planned booking from April that obviously didnt happen that I'm re-using for a local B&B).

RBW.

Does anyone know when the B&B's open up ? Im booked on a Triumph Adventure day in Ystradgynlais on 15th August and could do with an overnight stop on the 14th. (I know self catering are open, but had a planned booking from April that obviously didnt happen that I'm re-using for a local B&B).

RBW.

From https://gov.wales/tourism-and-hospitality-businesses-guidance-phased-reopening-html#section-45260
11 July 2020
Reopening self-contained holiday accommodation

Self-catering accommodation can only be let to members of the same or extended household. This also includes serviced accommodation where bedroom occupancy can only be let to the same or extended household and not, for example, friends booking a twin bedroom or a family bedroom, etc.

This includes any accommodation that is entirely self-contained, e.g. holiday cottages, holiday caravans including touring caravans, motorhomes, boats and some glamping accommodation with their own kitchens and bathrooms that no other guests use.

Also in this category:

Hotels and other serviced accommodation (e.g. B&Bs, hostels, etc.) that do provide en-suite rooms and can provide room service meals.

So, the B&B might be open. Have you contacted them to confirm? If they aren't open then your best chance is probably a Travelodge or similar.

Don't try wild camping in Wales, the locals get a little upset still :blast

05.30 hrs this morning the Wales Moto GP went past my house.

They can shove their loud pipes where the sun don't shine (Knobheads)

From https://gov.wales/tourism-and-hospitality-businesses-guidance-phased-reopening-html#section-45260
11 July 2020
Reopening self-contained holiday accommodation

Self-catering accommodation can only be let to members of the same or extended household. This also includes serviced accommodation where bedroom occupancy can only be let to the same or extended household and not, for example, friends booking a twin bedroom or a family bedroom, etc.

This includes any accommodation that is entirely self-contained, e.g. holiday cottages, holiday caravans including touring caravans, motorhomes, boats and some glamping accommodation with their own kitchens and bathrooms that no other guests use.

Also in this category:

Hotels and other serviced accommodation (e.g. B&Bs, hostels, etc.) that do provide en-suite rooms and can provide room service meals.

So, the B&B might be open. Have you contacted them to confirm? If they aren't open then your best chance is probably a Travelodge or similar.

Thanks for that, yes I'm expecting the B&B to contact me so will ping them a note, just wanted to check they 'could' open (didn't realise they were in the same category in the announcement).

RBW.

05.30 hrs this morning the Wales Moto GP went past my house.

They can shove their loud pipes where the sun don't shine (Knobheads)

You should be happy that the people are free :rob,

Ive taken absolutey no notice of the lockdown restrictions and have had the place to myself in the last few months:bow

Let the body count begin :D:thumby:

Redemption for the masses.

Had a few reports back from some of the boys who ride the roads up there most days rain or shine and they are saying yesterday was the busiest they have seen it since the 80's,
one or two say it was the most bikes they have ever seen out.:beerjug::D

The locals are not happy :eek::D

Had a few reports back from some of the boys who ride the roads up there most days rain or shine and they are saying yesterday was the busiest they have seen it since the 80's,
one or two say it was the most bikes they have ever seen out.:beerjug::D

The locals are not happy :eek::D

the chip shop owner seemed very happy to take my £6.20. I sat under an oak tree to eat the chips in the main car park in Talgarth, gave my uneaten chips to some birds and put my rubbish in the bin provided.

I imagine a good proportion of those wandering around the hills brought a picnic sourced from Tesco and left their rubbish where they ate it.

Do you think the locals are mad at bikers in general or that some people from all sub-groups are inconsiderate wankers?

Back
Top Bottom